Page 128 of 528 FirstFirst ... 2878108118122123124125126127128129130131132133134138148178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think the show suffers from too much book to show translation. I mean, I haven't read ASoS but clearly nothing happens to Bran's group during this time period or else they would have shown it. But they still have to give them scenes and establish the Reeds. So why not invent some crazy adventures for them to have while they travel? At least Jon/Ygritte breaks up the monotony of having pretty much the same plot direction (wandering around aimlessly) with their little quips and random sex.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post

spoiler this stuff, come on man. The guy has clearly not read the book - psy
    To be fair, Psy, it is mentioned in the TV show that R'hllor gives her, as well as his followers, visions (ref. scenes with Mel and Stannis staring into the fire). So it is not really a spoiler, moreover the latter part was paraphrasing from the same episode MILF was talking about. So not really book spoilering it!

As for the dragons and magic! (SPOILER)It is apparent that while dragons and magic are connected, it is not clear exactly how. First, while magic did disappear in Westeros (for the most part, there were still wargs and greenseerers though rare) with the death of the dragons, it was said that it still existed to a lesser extent in Asshai and other places. Also Jaqen ability to glamour/shift his face seems to be something he was able to do before the the dragons were born. It could be that lesser magics were still possible while the dragons were dormant/"extinct" or that the dragons are only tied to certain kinds of magic or amplifies certain kinds of magic. Perhaps "Song of Ice and Fire" also refers to the two kinds of magic: ice and fire. For the R'hllorians this would be R'hllor and the Great Other. Accepting such an antimony yet taking away the judgement value, we have fire associated with life, light, and shadows and ice associated with death and darkness. It should be noted there is a degree of overlap but in these instances there are still differences (e.g. the white walkers v.s. Berric or Caitlin). The magic employed by the Faceless Men would follow under "ice" due to them basically worshiping Death itself and would be largely unaffected by the absence of the dragons. This is all speculation of course since we know little to nothing about Asshai. Moreover, the wargs' and greenseerers' gifts seem independent and more relation to the Children of the Forest/The Old Gods. Then again, from the R'hllor perspective the Old Gods would just be the Great Other in another disguise. So, yeah circles.

I sorta rambled in there and most of it is briefly thought about speculation.

EDIT: Del, there isn't much that happens with Bran and co. until very minor spoiler, and pretty obvious since the direction they're goingthey get to the "Gift" (the lands bordering the Wall)

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I think the show suffers from too much book to show translation. I mean, I haven't read ASoS but clearly nothing happens to Bran's group during this time period or else they would have shown it. But they still have to give them scenes and establish the Reeds. So why not invent some crazy adventures for them to have while they travel? At least Jon/Ygritte breaks up the monotony of having pretty much the same plot direction (wandering around aimlessly) with their little quips and random sex.
    Well that's what I meant.

Translation not Transliteration.

I think the show has given us some stuff onscreen between Brienne and Jamie that just wasn't there in the book. It's mostly nuance, but it's still stretching the source and I like that.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, more stretching please. With GoT you can pretty much go scene for scene from the book because that was a very self-contained plot with a crescendo and big payoff with several small payoffs along the way. The plot is always moving. The rest of series, from what I can see, is a much more grander tale that is strung along over several different volumes. That's great for an epic book series but for television you need a much more focused plot to be successful.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Every great show has one or two totally sucky episodes. You know the last two episodes of the season are totally going to make up for one mediocre hour from the entire season. Most of you have read the books, some just inadvertently got it spoiled. I feel like the this season finale will be the best so far.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pantz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Also I don't like what they're doing with Shae. Book spoilers ahoy. (SPOILER)They're making her upset with Tyrion marrying Sansa, presumably to give some context to her betraying him when he is put on trial. In the book she didn't mind about that and that's what made her betrayal so hurtful - it came completely out of the blue. Now you can see it coming.

Theon. Ouch. More book spoil. (SPOILER)Given that Theon disappeared entirely for ASOS and AFFC, I don't know how much more material they can add get out of this - they already did his false escape, his fingers being cut off and now his schlong. I mean, I assume they're going to do AFFC and ADWD alongside each other but they've still got to get another season out of Theon torture!
    I considered both of those things too! For Theon, Book spoilersUnless they're gonna add a lot of new material to his story, I think they're gonna have to cut him out (heh) completely from the next season and perhaps a few subsequent ones as well. I imagine they'll use the rumoured death ruse from the books.

As for Shae, Bookbookbookwhat they're doing with her in the show makes me wonder if the same was supposed to be a motivation for her in the books, even though it was never stated, and if it was implied it was pretty subtle. I've wondered about her motivations somewhat - doing it for the cash always seemed too simple to me, even if that was the reason I had to accept.
    Yeah, I am really over these Theon torture scenes.

I agree with Rantz about Shae. booksIn the books I didn't see her betrayal coming at all. In the show she seems really connected to him and is making it clear that she feels like she's just a whore that he's going to get tired of. Pretty clear motivation. I'm not sure I have a problem with the book and show having such different takes on this; we'll see which one turns out better.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I was a little annoyed at ep. 7Arya saying Death was her god. I know there's less room for subtlety in a TV show, but this crossed the line for me. It sounded really cheesy and forced, and I really thought it was obvious enough already from the show that her world view was becoming quite morbid.
    I didnt think it was about her world view becoming morbid at all. It was just showing she had taken what her Dancing Instructor had said and abandoned her old Gods, and also to show the expression on some of the brotherhood's faces to hint that one of them might be from Bravos
    I agree--I thought it was touching that she seems to be connecting with the two men from Bravos who have helped her. Her delivery was melodramatic, but that fits her age group so whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Guys Jaime and Brienne are best friends and I cannot handle how cute it is
    That are totes my BFF OTP. <3 <3

Well that was one of the most boring episodes of this show. Up until the last scene. Jamie/Brienne's storyline has been the best this season.
    Yeah, the whole episode I was thinking "Well at least that scene will be exciting" since I knew what the episode title referred to. I like dialogue and story building, but that was basically all that happened other than the bear scene.

Yeah, more stretching please. With GoT you can pretty much go scene for scene from the book because that was a very self-contained plot with a crescendo and big payoff with several small payoffs along the way. The plot is always moving. The rest of series, from what I can see, is a much more grander tale that is strung along over several different volumes. That's great for an epic book series but for television you need a much more focused plot to be successful.
    Yeah, once you get through GoT there are a few huge highlights but GRRM just writes so much detail that the story is too much for TV to handle. I think they know that's an issue and are doing their best to work with that, but it's still a huge learning process. I think the rest of the season (or at least the last two episodes) will make up for the slow build this season. It's unfortunate that there are several storylines per book where seriously nothing happens.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Something major has to happen soon - a lot of pieces have been setup and positioned and there's a tantalising expectation of some major event or revelation coming that still has yet to materialise. My patience is beginning to wear a bit thin with the show now.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I keep hearing from non book readers "what's the point of this" "why are they showing that" and it bothers me because a lot of what they are showing ends up setting up awesome climaxes in archs. It's like, calm down and let the tension build. Thats the perk of this series everything builds up for awesome. it built up to neds demise, danys dragons and Jon's wights in season one. it built up to house of the undying, blackwater and the nights watch facing an army of sights in season two. The same thing is happening this season! Just enjoy the build up people!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Thoughts on the latest episode...

- I must be the only person in the world who liked Jaime better when he was a dick, because I am bored of this Brienne storyline. I liked it better when they didn't get along.
    - Theon. Oh God. No. No! That's just nasty! That's too far! Aaaaargggghhhh! I winced and cringed and shifted my legs, that is just so mean. I mean, I shouldn't feel sorry for a prick like him, but they've managed to make me do so.
    - Dany: Okay that was a badass scene and those are some badass dragons. Perhaps my fave Dany scene so far.
    - Arya: Arya
    - Shae: Selfish much? But Tyrion doesn't have to smurf her, does he? Is someone going to watch and verify it happens? Geez.
    - Sansa/Marge: Comedy.
    - Jon Snow: Becoming my favourite storyline at the moment, I really look forward to seing how well this little raider group do. =o
    - Book readers, particularly one at work: I hope you realise by constantly saying "OH MAN YOU JUST WAIT IT'S ALL ABOUT TO GO CRAZY" that you are just ruining the shock value of anything that happens. >=/ All it really does so far is make the current episodes seem even more lacklustre because I'm expecting the wall to fall down on top of Winterfell and the dragons to start talking and for whitewalkers to appear in the middle of the weddings and kill everyone and then of course Rick Astley will show up as the entertainment for the whitewalkers and they'll have a disco. UNLESS THIS HAPPENS THE CRAZY YOU ARE DISCUSSING WILL NOT MEET EXPECTATIONS. And again, this is more the person at work than the people in this thread. Geeez. And yes I've told her all this. >=| AND SHE STILL DOES IT. People need to learn the art of subtlety.

Decent episode, though, really. I think I like the storylines most people don't for some reason, and vice versa.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

As for Shae, Bookbookbookwhat they're doing with her in the show makes me wonder if the same was supposed to be a motivation for her in the books, even though it was never stated, and if it was implied it was pretty subtle. I've wondered about her motivations somewhat - doing it for the cash always seemed too simple to me, even if that was the reason I had to accept.
    (SPOILER)I dunno, like, in the books she's always going on about her fine silks and her jewelry and how she wants to wear those. To me, she always seemed to be very materialistic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I keep hearing from non book readers "what's the point of this" "why are they showing that" and it bothers me because a lot of what they are showing ends up setting up awesome climaxes in archs. It's like, calm down and let the tension build. Thats the perk of this series everything builds up for awesome. it built up to neds demise, danys dragons and Jon's wights in season one. it built up to house of the undying, blackwater and the nights watch facing an army of sights in season two. The same thing is happening this season! Just enjoy the build up people!
    Hey, I'm enjoying it! I value the worth of a good exposition episode don well. The Climb was done very well. Bear and the Maiden Fair was slightly weaker for me, but still good.

I think the problem is that this season is adapted roughly from the first half of the third book. In practically every book, the first half or so is always exposition based with the odd surprise or climax or event. I'm expecting more from Season 4 as that will be adapted from the latter end of the third book, where I'm presuming tons of smurf gets down to close the book.

I might be talking absolutely gibberish, but I'm not worried, is all I'm saying. There's been enough action in there for me.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just finished watching And Now His Watch Has Ended. Any man capable of rage-choking the man who stabbed him in the back with one god damn hand is well deserving of the title "Old Bear". What a beast. Point of interest: he was also the dad in Braveheart who got shot with an arrow and, after having it torn out and the wound cauterised and covered with alcohol, knocked the nearest man out with one punch and yelled "That'll wake you up in the morning lads!" Some actors are made to play badasses.

Thoroughly enjoyed the end of the episode. Daenerys is a beast also. Can't wait for the Hound's duel, though I wish Dondarrion was more... dead. I wish we'd been hearing about the myriad of deaths he's suffered throughout the series, and I wish his mortal wounds were more obvious. He just looks like a dude with an eye missing and a cut on his neck; he's supposed to look borderline undead, goddamnit!

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Articles
    Blog Entries

New funniest gif.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with BoB for once--saying how great things are about to be is overhyping things. Of course, it's also irritating to hear people whine that the episodes are slow when we know every season so far has built up to a climactic last two episodes. That's just the formula... but readers still need to not overhype things. Nothings going to beat all that wildfire anyway!