Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The thread of discussing my stupid cars and how I waste my

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

You've seen my car, but here's one more quick shot.

Here's some pictures of other cars floating around the paddock area.

(SPOILER)

Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 11-11-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

so i was browsing /pol/ and of all places a discussion of japan's cars came up, and somebody said 'lol japan - can it even create something like a bmw or mercedes' and then somebody posted a picture of the mazda..i forget. i'm sick. rx-8 probably.

since we both like mazdas i demand you defend our addiction and prove mazda > bmw

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    so i was browsing /pol/ and of all places a discussion of japan's cars came up, and somebody said 'lol japan - can it even create something like a bmw or mercedes' and then somebody posted a picture of the mazda..i forget. i'm sick. rx-8 probably.

since we both like mazdas i demand you defend our addiction and prove mazda > bmw

good luck.
    It's not as simple as that. Mazda is not BMW. Whether or not you think one is better than the other seems to depend on what you're looking for.

BMW has many (very good) performance models, but seems to focus most of it's efforts on performance sedans and larger coupes. At least stateside, it doesn't have a very big offering for sports cars or compact sedans that are performance oriented. It had the Z3 which could never match the popularity of the Miata, and now the Z4 which is targeted more at the Porsche Boxter.

BMW is a more luxury oriented performance brand.

Mazda is a smaller car company that focuses on cars that are also fun to drive. Mazda has larger vehicles but is best known for it's Miata, RX-8, and the sporty Mazda3 hatchback/sedan. As a full sized sedan, the Mazda6 regularly gets good marks for quality and driving experience. While they're well known for creating cars have quality suspension, brakes, handling, etc., they aren't known for being a luxury brand.

None of the major Japanese manufacturers were. That's what brought about Acura, Infinity, and Lexus. If you want a Japanese car that is refined as a BMW or Mercedes you pick one of those brands.

Mazda did have the Eunos line of cars for it's luxury brand in the 80's and 90's, but decided that market wasn't worth pursuing. It's most remarkable offering was the '90-'95 Mazda Cosmo.

I suppose the biggest feather in the cap of Mazda over Mercedes and BMW is the rotary motor. It's a German design created by Felix Wankel. Many manufacturers (including BMW, Mercedes, Chevrolet, Ford, etc.) tried to take the concept and make it work, but only Mazda found the right way.

I imagine a little Japanese car company taking a uniquely German motor and making it work where the Germans could not might be considered a victory.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Numbers 70 and 97 appear to have given me an erection. I want them. Please steal them for me.

Also, let's get talking about that massive Chocobonnet. Give me figures, man!

So you have a thing for E30s and Sonetts?

Just got back from a pretty decent weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park.

Before the race we improved our intake routing (it was still the stock set-up left over from the SM days), and added an oil cooler. I was seeing the oil temps spike to 270-280 at Barber last year. This was a pretty warm weekend, and with the new cooler the highest the temp I saw was around 240.

In the first race I used qualifying to put a heat cycle on some new Hoosiers we purchased, and qualified first in ITA with a 1:54...something. 1:54'3 or somewhere in there.

For the race, we didn't have a good set of tires, so we scrounged around and "rented" a set of tires with four heat cycles from another team. Not too bad. I tried the best I could to keep up with the two faster cars from a different class, but I was only good for about 2-3 laps before they're starting to loose me as a drafting partner. (Those two are quite fast. ) The car felt pretty decent the whole race, and I built up a pretty good lead over the next ITA car. I didn't have a cool suit, so around lap 18-19 I was starting to loose some focus. I came in, switched drivers, and after a bumpy first lap dad came home with the win.

The second race I also used the qualifying session to put a the first heat cycle in a new set of tires. (We're trying to have a few sets that have had a chance to cure. That way they'll last a while. Hopefully.) I qualified first in ITA again with a 1:53'6-something. I had a great start to the race, and worked two or three cars between myself and the next ITA car. I was turning consistent 1:54's in the beginning, but every time I looked up the second place ITA guy had reeled me in a little more and a little more. Eventually I got stuck behind a slower ITS car that had the speed in a straight line just enough to slow me down in the corners. That let the other ITA car close right up on me.

Suddenly he went to try and out brake me into turn 7, pushed too hard and spun to the outside. After that I had a nice lead, ran some consistent times, and he wasn't able to close the gap. It turns out he was on brand new Hoosier R6's, and might have cooked them a little when he ran me down. (Those tires are better than man, but naturally more expensive.) I didn't have a working cool suit again, and the radios never work. So I was hot, and decided it was time to come in for my pit stop. I wish I could have had a radio to check, because my pit spot was completely blocked. I randomly pulled in at another spot, and waited for my people to start timing me. We must have pitted too long, because I came out behind the second place car. We had a good race for a few laps, and I was hanging with him just fine at that point. He was driving his mirrors a little too much and crossed his car up in a few places. I almost hit him, but managed to keep the race clean.

Eventually it was my turn to screw up. I wanted to get a run on the inside at turn 11. This is a tight turn at the end of a long straight, and a good place to pass. I think I set up too wide at the dog leg on the back straight, and put my self off line in the marbles. I said I "think" because we just found my that the bolt that goes to the top of my left rear up right is sheered in half. (Yes, again) Did it break and cause the spin, or break from the spin? I dunno. The car did feel more loose after that, but not that bad.

Either way I had a nice spin to the inside that destroyed a braking marker, and that gave him first.

I didn't flat spot the tires at least, and still got second place.

The car is coming along, and I'm pleased overall with the weekend. The next race is at Charlotte.

I know I've said this before, but I might actually have video this time. Every other time, the camera has messed up or been forgotten.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 05-29-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

God damn, I want to hang out with you. xD

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Someone stole the hood ornament off my Jag when I went inside a walmart yesterday.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

that's funny, someone stole my hood ornament from my '87 buick when i hit up tiffany's the other day

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No one steals from foa.

Good job this weekend! Also with the shearing of bolts - who do you think you are, my dad?

Signature by rubah. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Flambard D'Quinceteth View Post
    God damn, I want to hang out with you. xD
    I always need crew!

Thanks for the warm wishes FOAs. It turns out there's a hill climb at the end of June that I might be able to make it to after all. If that's the case, it might be something close enough for you to come watch.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't wait for video.

Okay, here is Saturday's race.

Here is Sunday's.

It's pretty boring from watching the video, but you folks wanted to see. If you want, I can try to give you a break down of corner speeds, etc.

A picture of the upright as the car rolled off the trailer. Half the bolt must have stayed in the upright during the race.

A picture of the upright as the car rolled off the trailer. Half the bolt must have stayed in the upright during the race.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 11-11-2014 at 01:11 PM.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My cousin stony used to be a racecar driver, but he quit about 2 years ago.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

That is too bad.

It looks like the hillclimb will happen this year. I'll be in the ITA car instead of the FProd, but it should still be fun. It's my first hillclimb, so I'm pretty interested.