Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatcha readin?

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Why has nobody read Dickens' best novel, Our Mutual Friend? Losers.

What's that?
    From the west?
    Comes a beast?
    Comes Eest?
    Slinking tinkling linc.
    What do you know of books?
    Buckley > Vidal
    oh and (SPOILER)Burr kills Hamilton

Oh and the editor I mentioned pages ago of the Brothers novel is Andrew MacAndrew. I wanted to read the book again after everyone talking about it but I wanted to try a different translation. 'bout halfway through and it's a really fantastic English translation.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finished Inheritance. It's possibly the worst book I've ever read. Worse than Twilight. Worse than the Da Vinci code.

And I also finished The Night Circus, which was lovely. But I encourage anyone who intends on reading the book to stay away from reading all the platitudes and reviews surrounding this book. It's one of those books that you want to discover on your own, without the expectations and the hype. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it a lot more, if it hadn't been for the hype.

Reading The Imperfectionists right now. Loving it so far. Also starting Ready Player One, which I've heard great stuff about. It's the type of book that would probably appeal to Eyeson members.

I'm overdue for reading a more classic book, since I've been on a contemporary kick. I started Brothers Karamazov, but really wasn't all that intrigued. I'll finish it once Del Murder is done with it, but I honestly don't know why people go nuts over these old russian books.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Our Mutual Friend is sitting on my stack of books to read.

The last books I've read have all been Science Fiction books, because the literature course I had this semester was called "Ecological Science Fiction". It was a great course, and I got to read some really good books - and a couple of "meh" books. The books are:

H.G. Wells - "War of the Worlds"
    George Stewart - "Earth Abides"
    Harry Harrison - "Make Room! Make Room!"
    Marge Piercy - "Woman on the Edge of Time"
    Margaret Adwood - "Oryx and Crake"
    Cormac McCarthy - "The Road"
    Paolo Bacigalupi - "The Windup Girl"

As for right now, all I'm reading is a bunch of stuff for exams. No books. When I get the time in January, though, I'd really like to read Jeffrey Eugenides' new book, "The Marriage Plot".

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    The last books I've read have all been Science Fiction books, because the literature course I had this semester was called "Ecological Science Fiction". It was a great course, and I got to read some really good books - and a couple of "meh" books. The books are:

As for right now, all I'm reading is a bunch of stuff for exams. No books. When I get the time in January, though, I'd really like to read Jeffrey Eugenides' new book, "The Marriage Plot".
    I like Cormac McCarthy a lot. Have you read anything else by him? Blood Meridian is pretty great. I'm finishing up the semester now but I haven't decided what to read over the break. I did finish that Transmetropolitan paperback yesterday though and it was awesome.
    Last edited by Boney King; 12-05-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Jellyfish swim by.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

War of the Worlds is pretty great but I maintain my stance that the greatest Wells book is the Island of Doctor Moreau. I literally couldn't put the book down. Read it all in one sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney King View Post

I like Cormac McCarthy a lot. Have you read anything else by him? Blood Meridian is pretty great. I'm finishing up the semester now but I haven't decided what to read over the break. I did finish that Transmetropolitan paperback yesterday though and it was awesome.
    Yeah, I really enjoyed reading "The Road". It's very stark, and very different from the rest of the books we read in that course. "Blood Meridian" is one the books on my "To read" list - my teacher advised us to read it if we liked "The Road". So, I might just go ahead an do that once I get the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    War of the Worlds is pretty great but I maintain my stance that the greatest Wells book is the Island of Doctor Moreau. I literally couldn't put the book down. Read it all in one sitting.
    "War of the "Worlds" was my first H.G. Wells novel. Up until that point the only 19th century Science Fiction I had read was Jules Verne, who is much more about technology I suppose, and Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" (which is like one of my favourite books!). I want to read "The Invisble Man", but also "The Island of Doctor Moreau" at some point. Also "The Last Man" by Shelley.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

"War of the "Worlds" was my first H.G. Wells novel. Up until that point the only 19th century Science Fiction I had read was Jules Verne, who is much more about technology I suppose, and Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" (which is like one of my favourite books!). I want to read "The Invisble Man", but also "The Island of Doctor Moreau" at some point. Also "The Last Man" by Shelley.
    I freaking love Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is one of my all-time favorites.

Doctor Who?

I just got finished reading Paper Towns by John Green. That book was very very amazing. Of course, I'm a bit biased as John Green is my second favorite author and I love every single book he's every written / co-written.

Currently I'm reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult. My friend Jason recommended it to me. I'm around 150 pages in and have had the temptation to cry at least 7 times already. I have a feeling I'm going to cry my eyes out before I finish reading it.
    You always said I looked grumpy. But those were the happiest days of my life.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Reading through "The Time Traveler's Wife". I'm in a weird but, I suppose, appropriate position of swearing that I've read this book before, and being sure that it was published some time in the 70/80s, but finding out it was published in 2004.

I'm certain that I read a good old battered copy years and years ago. I know what happens in the book, yet I've never read it before. Maybe I'm...no, it can't be...

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I'm rereading the Harry Potter books and after I'm done I'm going to force foa to read the Janet Evanovich books with me.

Maybe o_O too.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Finished The Brothers Karamazov and now I'm moving on to The Night Circus. So far it's pretty magical.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I want to read that, someone told me Morgenstern reads a lot like Neil Gaiman, who is sexonpaper.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am about to start reading the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels whenever I have to go into work early due to ride situations to help put me in a good mood when I work. I've also started to read Fellowship of the Ring again, and I'm planning on reading through The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit before my winter break from school is over. I've also started to read The Hunger Games trilogy to see if it's any good. I found it interesting enough to read, but I didn't think the first book was that spectacular.

I'm reading H.P. Lovecraft's short stories. I really liked the Music of Eric Zahn. Some of his serialized stories recap previous installments too much, and for such an old writer his descriptions of gore are quite explicit; he has a very morbid, twisted imagination. But he's an excellent writer and I'm enjoying his work a lot.

I have the Library of America collection, "Tales"; the LoA is a non-profit organization that preserves American fiction, and I also have their collection of Dashiell Hammet's novels, though I'd already heard the Maltese Falcon on audiobook and read Red Harvest elsewhere. I would highly recommend supporting this company by purchasing their collections, the selection is very extensive and each book is a really nice-looking hardcover. Here's their Wikipedia page: Library of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia