Page 22 of 106 FirstFirst ... 21216171819202122232425262728324272 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, out of pathetic desire to play this game, I may have been playing around with the character creator. I have a fair few builds I want to try out now. xD

Note: I've been doing this all day, rather than the 30 page assignment due tomorrow morning. Commitment, ftw.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Ornstein and Smough are dead. Time to go exploring!

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Pete for President;3134978]
    Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post

Although I think parrying sort of fits for this boss, as you've conquered so much you walk into the fight with an attitude of: "I will bring you to your knees, ****!". And that's exactly the feeling you get when you stab him in the chest and kick him down your sword. The only problem is; there's too much of it. I wish he had more non-parry-able moves to make him less predictable and spice things up a bit.
    I agree KINDOF, I think 1 or 2 moves tops should give you the ability to parry seeing as it can be so difficult, but not all of them for sure. If you get the timing down for parries, he's an absolute joke (I would know, I've done it once), but if you fight him with no tricks, no matter how good you are, he will almost always be a challenge. He's quick, super aggressive, super powerful and has mad range, parries just... I don't know, it doesn't fit. He's big bad and scary, and you just deflect all his attacks and stab him in the chest? It just seems so anti-climatic to me. The first time I beat him, it took me like 10 tries with a million different strategies and weapons, and the final fight was epic and intense... when I found out how to parry him on a later playthrough, it was just sad.

The problem with not having the ability to parry on him is the heavy weight guys, they can't dodge at all, and blocking can be a good method for biting the dust against a guy that quick and powerful. For my playstyle, only dodging and nothing else works... but it doesn't for every playstyle.

Meh, I don't know. I just find parrying/spamming pyromancy to be a good way to make an epic final boss quite a bit less awesome. That's just me though, many others disagree completely.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Flambard D'Quinceteth View Post
    Okay, out of pathetic desire to play this game, I may have been playing around with the character creator. I have a fair few builds I want to try out now. xD

Note: I've been doing this all day, rather than the 30 page assignment due tomorrow morning. Commitment, ftw.
    Praise your commitment!

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Meh, I don't know. I just find parrying/spamming pyromancy to be a good way to make an epic final boss quite a bit less awesome.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that Gwyn is very 'abusable' for a final bossfight. Heck, in my speedruns all I did was parry him right after another, bringing him down with only a Claymore +5 (underpowered like hell). Of course time was of the essence.

If I were to redesign him a bit, I'd go halfway between what he is now (almost everything parry-able) and not parry-able at all. Enough non-parryable attacks to make you dodge, and some parryable attacks that require focus and a sharp eye to make use of the opportunity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post

Praise your commitment!

Meh, I don't know. I just find parrying/spamming pyromancy to be a good way to make an epic final boss quite a bit less awesome.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that Gwyn is very 'abusable' for a final bossfight. Heck, in my speedruns all I did was parry him right after another, bringing him down with only a Claymore +5 (underpowered like hell). Of course time was of the essence.

If I were to redesign him a bit, I'd go halfway between what he is now (almost everything parry-able) and not parry-able at all. Enough non-parryable attacks to make you dodge, and some parryable attacks that require focus and a sharp eye to make use of the opportunity.
    I agree completely. It makes me sad that a lot of people only know how to beat him via parry abuse... and I've had a few people actually bash on Gwyn saying he's really easy even though they've never fought him normally (a few people have even called him a "letdown").
    That's the kind of stuff that just makes me sick.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I finally meet him, I intend to cry a little bit and then spam him from afar with high level Sorceries because I am a coward.

Blog Entries

When I finally meet him, I intend to cry a little bit and then spam him from afar with high level Sorceries because I am a coward.
    Fighting Gwyn with sorceries... that could be problematic...
    Good luck with that, a lot of his moves allow him to jump from one side of the arena to the next, and he's FAR more aggressive than any other enemy up to that point.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Fighting Gwyn with sorceries... that could be problematic...
    Good luck with that, a lot of his moves allow him to jump from one side of the arena to the next, and he's FAR more aggressive than any other enemy up to that point.
    Yeah, your best bet with sorcery is to get him to attack you. If he goes to kick/punch you, dodge out of the way and that leaves him a couple of seconds of time where you can hit him without him dodging (he recovers from kicks quicker I believe).

When I first fought him, I was using shield and sword. Took him down to below half but the sheer relentless attacking was driving me insane. I wanted to beat him but, at gone 2 in the morning, I just wanted to finish it and go to bed, so I went with the dickish strategy xD

Oh, also, updating where I am in the game (lots of work stopping me from playing as much) I've just taken down Gravelord Nito and Seath the Scaleless. So Just Demon's Ruins/Lost Izalith and Gwyn to go!
    Last edited by I Don't Need A Name; 09-25-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Imma Soulmass that ho.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

painted world of bad ideas

that phalanx thing is obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    painted world of bad ideas

that phalanx thing is obnoxious.
    Painted World is a good place to summon, that might help. Also, the splash damage of Fire Orbs and Great Fireballs work magic against those guys. Beware of the Bonewheel enemies in the lower section and be sure to search the area for all the treasures, there's some good stuff in there.

It's possible to do that, but better be quick. One piece of advice; did you know leveling Dexterity increases casting speed of all spells including sorceries? 45 dexterity is the maximum to which the casting speed benefits.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I'll be. I never knew that. I might raise Dex instead of Vitality, then. xD

Parrying in PvP; such glory when successful.

I used to panic when I'd land a parry, often causing me to miss the riposte due to hitting L2 too much. Slowly but surely I'm getting used to it now, and crushing that Ultra Greatsword into someone's face after nullifying his/her attack is such a gratifying feeling.

Currently battling for Dragon Scales as part of the Dragon Covenant. The Dragon Cheststone is pretty much the only item I haven't had in my possession yet. Any EoFF-ers up for a duel yet? PSN?

Beat Demon's Souls! The ending was refreshing. Pretty calm actually for such a dark game. Don't think I'll be going back for another run though, Dark Souls dragged me in way more than Demon's did.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have a question. I know there are levels to Poise, at which point certain types of weapons will no longer be able to stagger you as easily. Is this the case for shield stability? If so, at which level will a shield be able to hold against a heavy weapon?