Page 29 of 106 FirstFirst ... 91923242526272829303132333435394979 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd wait for the Composite Bow, personally. It's a great little bow that can even be carried over into PvP if you use Poison arrows.

You may want to try the Uchigatana. It has a great moveset, does decent damage and causes Bleed really easily. You can take it to +15 for your Dexterity is highest, or +5 Enchanted for your Intelligence. It's worth trying out, at least.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    I'd wait for the Composite Bow, personally. It's a great little bow that can even be carried over into PvP if you use Poison arrows.

You may want to try the Uchigatana. It has a great moveset, does decent damage and causes Bleed really easily. You can take it to +15 for your Dexterity is highest, or +5 Enchanted for your Intelligence. It's worth trying out, at least.
    He already has the balder swag sword, which, when enchanced has A scaling with int, and A scaling with dex along the normal path. It also has godlike range, and an amazing moveset (especially the 2h strong attack). So, he's fine on his primary quick weapon. The uchigatana is quite good, but I personally find the BSS to be better (at least in most scenarios).

I'd recommend at least getting 16str, that opens up a lot of doors for weapons to use, only problem is if your build is a bit too tight for spare points into Str.

Weapons you can use with an Int build at 16 str:
    These are purely Int based BTW(physical damage/Magical damage)
    > Moonlight Greatsword (198 pure magic damage) Always a good option, the damage isn't split along defenses so it's a lot more consistent.
    > Enchanted Claymore (184/190) This guy also rocks the light attacks of the BSS, just with more power, range, and slower execution. The strong attacks are different though.
    > Enchanged Gargoyle halberd has B scaling with Int... not bad. (206/213)
    > Enchanted Halberd has less damage, but scales A with Int. (148/182)

Dex weapons you can use... just regularly
    Primarily quick weapons, the murakumo isn't on here due to needing 28str
    > Painting Guardian Sword: Now, this weapon can be tricky to use, but my god is it amazing at dealing out the pain with ease. A scaling with Dex on regular +15 route, or S scaling with Int at +5 enchanted. I highly recommend giving this weapon a shot.
    > Quelaags furysword is always a good option. B scaling with Dex, and deals primarily fire damage.
    > Uchigatana... of course, always a good pick. Thing is, I don't think you need it anymore as previously stated
    > I've never used Ricard's Rapier, but it seems fairly decent. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    > Channeler's Trident, while very difficult and annoying to get, is a fun weapon to use. Scales A with int and C with dex as well, not bad. (Also the perfect weapon for invasions.... ^^)

I only used enchanted in my example due to the better scaling they have. Magic has worse scaling, but better raw damage. I can't remember which is preferred.

Also, I second using the composite bow. I used it on my main character and it was a godsend. The longbow dies out of use due to its low power, but the composite bow has a bit more punch to it.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 11-22-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought the swag sword was that little off-hand weapon that can be used for parrying? My bad!

Ricard's Rapier, from all I've seen of it, is really impressive when used well.

Blog Entries

Ah no, that's the parrying dagger/Queelags Furysword.
    The swag sword is basically a short-sword version of the claymore... but with awesome dex scaling, and very quick safe attacks.
    The strong attacks are also possibly the best poking moves in the entire game. They take up little endurance, are super fast, and make great use of the range the BSS has.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Don't want to meddle too much and let Jowy play his game, but I just want to point out a few things.

First is that Enchanted weapons are not buffable. I'd recommend upgrading one of your beloved Balder Side Swords (or any main weapon) along the normal path, and try buffing it with the Magic Weapon spell, Great Magic Weapon or it's even stronger variant when you get it. The buffs are worth it.

Speaking of buffs, that's where Ricard's rapier shines. Buff this rapier and hit the R2 button. Every hit will do the entire buff damage (a predetermined attack rating), which adds up even quicker than say, buffing a high damage strength weapon.

Important stuff: rapiers (the Estoc counts as one too) have a secret backstab/riposte damage multiplier. It may say 100 critical damage rating in the description, but it's not. Therefore I wouldn't dump your Estoc just like that; it has a backstab bonus which the BSS does not. If you're good at parrying/backstabbing, the Estoc (or any rapier) will definitely out-damage any katana, BSS and even matches the backstab damage output of the heaviest of Strength weapons. It's a feat not to be overlooked. Of course, this only goes for humanoid enemies, so pick your weapon wisely for different situations.

Also, rapiers can be used to attack from behind a shield. Not bad for a first playthrough.

And finally, the damage of rapiers, spears, the BSS strong attack and any thrust attack can be buffed by using the Leo ring, which you get from Ornstein if he falls last. The Leo ring buffs counters when thrust attacks are used. This basically means: when you poke an enemy during it's attack animation, it adds up a crazy 40% damage. Watch this video for details on this underrated ring. With several buffs this guy does 900 damage with a Ricard's rapier's one-handed r1 from behind a shield, with no risk involved whatsoever. Dark Souls - Leo Ring (big counter damage) - YouTube

Soak up the wisdom
    Last edited by Pete for President; 11-22-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Don't want to meddle too much and let Jowy play his game, but I just want to point out a few things.

First is that Enchanted weapons are not buffable. I'd recommend upgrading one of your beloved Balder Side Swords (or any main weapon) along the normal path, and try buffing it with the Magic Weapon spell, Great Magic Weapon or it's even stronger variant when you get it. The buffs are worth it.

Speaking of buffs, that's where Ricard's rapier shines. Buff this rapier and hit the R2 button. Every hit will do the entire buff damage (a predetermined attack rating), which adds up even quicker than say, buffing a high damage strength weapon.

Important stuff: rapiers (the Estoc counts as one too) have a secret backstab/riposte damage multiplier. It may say 100 critical damage rating in the description, but it's not. Therefore I wouldn't dump your Estoc just like that; it has a backstab bonus which the BSS does not. If you're good at parrying/backstabbing, the Estoc (or any rapier) will definitely out-damage any katana, BSS and even matches the backstab damage output of the heaviest of Strength weapons. It's a feat not to be overlooked. Of course, this only goes for humanoid enemies, so pick your weapon wisely for different situations.

Also, rapiers can be used to attack from behind a shield. Not bad for a first playthrough.

And finally, the damage of rapiers, spears, the BSS strong attack and any thrust attack can be buffed by using the Leo ring, which you get from Ornstein if he falls last. The Leo ring buffs counters when thrust attacks are used. This basically means: when you poke an enemy during it's attack animation, it adds up a crazy 40% damage. Watch this video for details on this underrated ring. With several buffs this guy does 1200 damage with a Ricard's rapier's one-handed r1 from behind a shield. Dark Souls - Leo Ring (big counter damage) - YouTube

Soak up the wisdom
    I totally forgot about the magic weapon buffs xD
    I knew looking up the enchanted numbers seemed wrong for some reason, but I couldn't figure out exactly why.
    It has been a while since I've played dark souls hasn't it?

But... I never knew of the leo ring trick. THAT'S MADNESS
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    It's not really a useful weapon for any kind of build ever really. It's a whip. And they suck. It's more like a joke weapon like the Gargoyle Tail Axe I reckon, as I've never seen anyone use it yet. Looks pretty badass though, and you feel like a boss when that tail drops.
    There's a great Let's Play on YouTube by a guy called Kazamieras in which he plays the game using an Estoc and a Whip. Worth a gander!

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

de-cursed, bought some spells. pretty confident about taking out that ugly dragon in the depths now. i was mostly worried about treading back through the kitchen because of all the enemies, but it seems like the butchers don't respawn, phew!

(SPOILER)the holy knight party or whatever they are disappeared from the firelink shrine; i hadn't gotten to talk to the lady yet because i was a) not revived b) cursed so could not revive myself c) the one guy said i'd scare her like that so i didnt want to scare her away...
    i assume i have to save them somewhere
    it's a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    But... I never knew of the leo ring trick. THAT'S MADNESS
    Crazy right? No wonder ENB dedicated a full video to it

I started the Psychopath challenge. The rules:

No talking. Ever. (so no weapon/estus upgrading, no buying, no curse removal by NPC's etc.)
    No summoning/being summoned.
    Every NPC must die when encountered, unless this character is unreachable without talking (say, Knight Lautrec).
    All looted and found equipment/spells may be used.
    Goal is to finish the game. Optional area's may be skipped.

So far I killed:
    Spoiler
    Crestfallen Knight (kicked him off the cliff)
    Petrus of Thorolund
    Undead merchant (male)
    Knight Solaire
    Andrei the blacksmith (he's actually pretty tough and does dropkicks)
    Siegmeyer of Catarina (wears both Tearstone rings)
    Knight Lautrec
    Oswald of Carim
    Undead merchant (female)
    Griggs of Vinheim (drops the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring, didn't know that)
    Laurentius of the Great Swamp
    Domnhall of Zena

So far progress is very smooth. The black knight in the Parish dropped his greatsword. That'll probably be my weapon for the remainder of the game. I want to get Power Within, so I've ran through the Depths and I'm currently jumping down Blighttown. So far I must say it's actually been easier than normal playthroughs, probably since I can't buy anything I level up real quick and the Black Knight Greatsword is obviously overpowered if acquired during this first quarter of the game. I expect greater challenges in Anor Londo and onwards, mostly due to not being able to upgrade the Estus flask.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 11-24-2012 at 01:29 AM.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah so my 10 year old bro found the blacksmith (i forgot about that path after ringing the bell) and killed the drake with arrows. i guess kids have more patience than i do. nice to know where the blacksmith is hahaha.

Had the craziest invasion yesterday. I invaded someone in the SpoilerNew Londo Ruins. Upon spawning I wanted to turn up the volume again which I muted for a phone call moments earlier. I already saw my victim buffing his Marukumo with Crystal Magic Weapon when I reached for the remote, but instead of turning up the volume I accidentally changed channels.

In panic I ran away blindly with one hand while desperately trying to switch back channels with the other. When I got my game back on screen the guy had just missed his first swings, which apparently I dodged blindly. We both tried to get some shots in, but eventually he landed a laggy backstab. I ran to heal, and the fight moved around a bit. After trading hits he again got his advantage with a second backstab and I was down to about 10% HP. The enemy moved in for the kill, swung his Marukumo, but against all odds I managed to land a parry and riposte right when I needed it most. This turned a losing battle around 180 degrees; I burned him with a Great Combustion when he tried to get up. This invasion was so tense. I love this game. And parries are glorious in PvP.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

those big ol' skeletons in the tomb of the giants sure are mean.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    those big ol' skeletons in the tomb of the giants sure are mean.
    In NG+ the dog ones can stagger you in 1 hit then proceed to instantly kill you if they stand up before attacking.
    Mean is definitely one way to describe them.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"ing little trouts" is another.

Blog Entries

I tried calling them something akin to that before.... right before getting slapped in the face by one and falling off the smurfing cliff.

I'm pretty good at killing them now... though it requires me to dual-wield my Murakumo, and do a jump strike outside of their view.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy