Page 41 of 106 FirstFirst ... 213135363738394041424344454647516191 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the end, nothing else matters

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

No issues with joining the Darkwraiths. Any PvP tips for a STR/FAI build? Suggested weapons, spells, techniques? I don't have anything really fun yet weapons wise...+2 Occult Gargoyle's Halberd, +5 Divine Claymore and +5 Fire Uchigatana. Have enough DEX to use the Iaito...probably gonna slap lightning on that. Or should I just make a Lightning Zweihander instead?

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Hah! I remember that video. "Make a ledge!"

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    I might be buying a 360 on the cheap here in China! It's not worth getting a new one, because they're still, like, £250, but I could grab a cracked one off a mate for cheap! While I wouldn't be able to do online stuff, I could at least be playing Dark Souls again!
    Awesome stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    No issues with joining the Darkwraiths. Any PvP tips for a STR/FAI build? Suggested weapons, spells, techniques? I don't have anything really fun yet weapons wise...+2 Occult Gargoyle's Halberd, +5 Divine Claymore and +5 Fire Uchigatana. Have enough DEX to use the Iaito...probably gonna slap lightning on that. Or should I just make a Lightning Zweihander instead?
    Could you post your strength, dex and faith stats?

Since you can use the Iaito I assume you have 20 dex. If your strength stat is somewhere between 40 and 50 I'd recommend looking into non-elemental weapons to keep their scaling, and this way they remain buffable. If you have 30 faith, I recommend getting the Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade miracles to buff your weapon.

Some tips, strength/faith specific:
    - Magic Barrier or Great Magic Barrier can be a lifesaver when fighting sorcerers. Spells and the Moonlight Greatsword will hardly do any damage. Even Wrath of the Gods damage is nullified by these miracles. Be wary of lightning and fire, however.
    - Vow of Silence is a great miracle to confuse the unexperienced. Enemies trying to cast spells (all spells count, including pyromancy) while this miracle is active will get stunned, and that means a free backstab or a free hit.
    - Wrath of the Gods is imo a cheap move and I strongly dislike players I fight who use it, but it can get you kills. A ton of people use it though, so don't mind my personal grudge.
    - The casting time for support miracles is pretty long. Only cast when you're sure you can't get backstabbed.

Some general PvP tips:
    - The learning curve is huge, especially for dueling. People have tricks up their sleeve and you will die a lot.
    - Lag can make backstabs look really glitchy. Don't worry though, you'll learn to avoid them.
    - Poise is the most important defensive stat, it saves you from being stunned when hit. Get stunned and people can easily combo you to death. Aim to have at least 53-56 poise so you can withstand a hit from a greatsword.
    - Probably the most important one: be patient. No need to rush in a host and two summons and think you can take them all three at once.
    - The Undead Burg is where a lot of people duel.
    - The Kiln is also for dueling, although usually there are a lot more gankers around.
    - Darkroot Forest is where anything goes. Bring your biggest guns and cheapest tricks, because the host will be prepared and he will do the same. Show no mercy.
    - Same goes for any other random area, although the host is usually less prepared. Your goal is to kill the host, no matter what. Although it is polite to bow when the host does and make it a duel. Personal favorite areas are the Catacombs, New Londo Ruins and the Royal Wood for their large number of very helpful mobs.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I am able to play again, I think I'll go with a Dex/Buff build. I hope to god I'll be able to find a PtD edition, otherwise I'll be playing it unpatched and un-Ooaciled.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Only SL 55. Been pumping END a lot to wear heavy armour and keep midroll.

22 STR, 20 DEX, 20 FAI.

Considering picking up Sunlight Blade and Karmic Justice. Already have Vow of Silence, just need to grind to SL 65 to have the faith to use it.

Blog Entries

So, recently started a dedicated aggressive spear user. It's been an absolute blast playing it like an offensive dragoon type character. Turtling is for girls.
    Anyway, I've run into a problem. The gaping dragon. Now I hear you laughing, please hear me out.
    Firstly, with a spear I cant cut off his tail because all my attacks go under it. No big deal really.
    My problem is his jumping air attack. I can't dodge it. Well, I can, but it's roughly 50/50. He seems to just clip forward right above me even if I'm sprinting and rolling out of the way. Sometimes I dodge it fine, other times, where I do the exact same thing, he just ignores it and 1-shots me.
    It's always 10minutes into the fight too.... and whatshis face is out of gold pine resign to sell, and im out of any to use, so I hit roughly half of what I do on past attempts.
    Do any other people have trouble with that seemingly undodgeable move? Or do I just suck now?
    I've already ragequit against him, I'll go back to fight him once I have +7 or +8 gear so it doesnt take 10000minutes just do get 1-shot.

This is just embarrassing.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

That is crazy. I can imagine not being able to cut off his tail is a threat, his tail swipe attack was the one I thought is hardest to dodge.

About his jumping stomp; weird stuff. I have been jumped on before and indeed it's usually back to the bonfire when it happens, but I never thought it to be anything but a fluke. The way I used to see it the Dragon just "relocates" to your position when you're far away. If you stay close, doesn't he just jump up and down without moving horizontally? Or is it a "rare" attack that can happen regardless of distance between you and the dragon?

Blog Entries

I guess it's just a rare attack. His tail swipe put me at 1 hit point when I went back after upgrading my gear. It was a close one.
    Anyway, update: This offensive spear guy is probably the most fun I've ever had. Beat O&S in 2 tries in offline mode, and it was such a fun fight too.
    Soon I'll be getting the fork in the royal wood, and that will be awesome~
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So, today is the day I find out if I can return to Dark Souls. Ohhhmanohmanohmanohmanohmaaaaaaaan!

e; SUCCESS! I now have a 360 that can run Dark Souls. I have the Prepare to Die edition, but I'll not find out if it actually is that game until I get far enough into it. I also bought Spec Ops: The Line, Far Cry 3 and Dishonoured, for those that are interested.

However, due to the STUPID nature of Chinese plugs and sockets, I need to buy an extension board before I can do anything. But that will have to wait because I now have to go to work. Gragh.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 02-05-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Welcome back

Been hunting the forest a lot and developed a love/hate relationship with it. I love taking down gankers, parrying them is the greatest glory in all of PvP and I land them pretty often nowadays. The big cats and giant shrooms are great allies, but sometimes I just need a break when there's too many ***** around. It's not just the gankers either - AFK Forest Hunters are the worst.

So I think I'll go stalk the New Londo Ruins for a bit :3
    Last edited by Pete for President; 02-05-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So, I managed to get everything plugged in and powered up, and OH WHAT'S THIS MY TV DOESN'T WORK.

smurfing China.

Is your TV cooperating yet?

How come every time I finish a PvP build I get the urge to make another one? I recently finished this melee only forest hunter (which worked great for parries and looks very daunting):
    https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=124404300580989278

But now I've got my eyes on a low endurance superbuffed faith build:
    https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=350067492809777542

That basically means boosting all attacks with Power Within, Red Tearstone Ring, Crown of Dusk, Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, and maybe Sunlight Blade although that miracle usually results in people turtling for a minute.

As for weapons; Ricard's Rapier, Estoc, Falchion, Balder Side Sword and the Gold Tracer if the weapon buff runs out.

Edit: want to roll with Gravelord Greatsword Dance for ultimate flashiness.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 02-07-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hehe, got the school to get me a new one. It's beautiful, man.

I like the look of those builds, Pete. Why the Knight Gauntlets, though?

I'll be running a PvE buff build when I get started. Gonna focus on Power Within and Crystal/Great Magic Weapon, using the Balder Side Sword (for the first ever time eheheheee!) and probably Ricard's Rapier when I want to be completely unfair to those poor bosses. I know I'll be rocking the Balder Shield for looks (plus it has great stability), but other than that I'm not too sure on what equipment to use.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Double post for EHEHEHEDARKSOULS.

Gotta say, already loving the Swag Sword + buff combo. I was running with the Drake, because I'm a newbie again and wanted to ease myself in. Met the butcher in the Depths (oh yeah, I may have blasted my way through five hours already ) and just could not take him down. I've yet to get back into the groove, so that simple bastard gave me a lot of trouble. So, I switched to the technically inferior Swag, because I wanted to give it a try, despite the fact that my Dexterity isn't yet high enough to knock its base stats above the Drake. Put Magic Weapon on it, and hello extra 100 points of damage!

Poked that butcher bastard to death before he could even get close. lu swaaaag <3

Gonna farm slimes for souls and Large Titanite Shards tomorrow, I think. Wanna get my Balder sword and board up to +10 as soon as possible!

Blog Entries

Let me just post all of my builds~
    Dark Souls Character Planner (My "dragoon". She's a purely offensive spear user. None of that pokey bullcrap. She runs in and impales your ass. Super fun character when played offensively. Can't wait to try him out in pvp.)
    Dark Souls Character Planner (My first character that ever did PvP, He's gone through a ton of changes. He uses the BSS, SKS, Murakumo, Great lord Greatsword, chaos blade, AND MORE!)
    Dark Souls Character Planner (My strength guy. He uses pretty much every strength weapon in the game. So so SO FUN!!!!!)

I have a few others.... mostly gimmick builds, but they havent gotten far enough for me to put them up.

Also, guys, prepare you bodies. I'm starting my Lv.1 playthrough of Dark Souls this weekend~!
    http://mmdks.com/11wx
    I am prepared to die.
    Last edited by TrollHunter; 02-08-2013 at 04:59 AM.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy