Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy & Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Sum1sGruj View Post
    Mormons are convinced that Jesus and Satan are brothers. This in itself makes for Mormonism being deemed a 'cult' within the general belief in Christianity which makes Jesus God the Son and not a mere angel.
    Any religion involving daily soulless repetition, lack of independent thought or theory, or self-sacrifice in preservation of the hierarchy is a cult. Catholicism, Mormonism, Christian Extremist... what-have-you.

Much of Final Fantasy's religious undertones can be seen as more or less references to Greek mythology which in itself I believe was the second longest lasting religion beside Christianity. Many powerful men (powerful for being born to kings) claimed more power by proclaiming themselves the progeny of some god. Hercules was a soldier claimed as the son of Zeus. Alexander of Macedonia claimed to be the son of Dionysus. Is it any wonder then that the Romans in power in Jerusalem balked at the idea of a poor carpenter being the son of God? Even the Hebrew people were skeptical.

I think Final Fantasy VII shares this theme the most. Sephiroth thinks he is literally the son of Jenova but he is genetically the son of Hojo and Lucrecia. Having been infused with Jenova's DNA during conception, his body merely developed a tolerance to its power and over time, his mind began to succumb. Even his followers are simple experimental subjects injected with Jenova's DNA by Hojo. But then where does one draw a solid line between scientific certainty and religious faith?

Blog Entries

You know what, I don't think you can definitely draw a line, ever. There isn't anything that can prove either of the two exactly. I believe that this religion has great principles, and some really bad ones. But FF seems to have a fusion between science and religion and myths and all the such, down perfectly. What were we talking about? Oooo look BALLOONS
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’
    “Fix the cause, not the symptom.” – Steve Maguire

According to the Mayan Calendar, the world is supposed to end this December. I'm holding my breath because I've got nothing better to do this year. I've always thought that people who were murderous or suicidal were idiots. The world ending, on the other hand, is most likely something we can't prevent. But if it is something we can prevent and there's any chance the Mayans were right, we better hope there's someone out there figuring out how the world's supposed to end this year... and that they can succeed in preventing it... yeah...

Now with that rant out of the way... I forgot what I was originally going to say.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    According to the Mayan Calendar, the world is supposed to end this December.
    Beyond whether or not the mayans could predict the end of the word the fact is that the mayan calendar doesn't even actually say that.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also, we use a Julian calendar, and it's actually the middle of July or August by the calendar the Mayans used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I find it far more interesting to look at the religions within the games than the religions from IRL that have inspired parts of the games. FFXIII obviously has a fair bit of religion involved, as does it's sequel (even more so, I'd say). I'm sure somewhere in FFVIII, I think it was Balamb, someone talks about some kind of religion. Are there more?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Are there more?
    *cough* FFX *cough*

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Are there more?
    *cough* FFX *cough*
    Like I said, there is absolutely NO way FFX's Yevon faith was used as a symbol of the Catholic church and all its followers being evil or blind, no siree. Talk about anvils...

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by fierytempest View Post
    Also, we use a Julian calendar, and it's actually the middle of July or August by the calendar the Mayans used.
    Incorrect. Firstly, we use the Gregorian calender. Secondly, that is not how leap years work. Thirdly, everyone reading this should watch all CGPGrey's videos because they are amazing.

. . . whatever.

Have there been any Final Fantasy installments with a religion predicting the end of the world? The closest I can think comes to this is VII because of Bugenhagen telling Cloud's group the world's end is not far off whether in one year or a hundred years. What a pessimist...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If you read the FF7 Comic, you will know that's because Bugenhagen has no arms, just sleeves, so he's really sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I cannot believe Kefka wasn't mentioned here. His final battle is a sort of mockery of the Divine Comedy with the tiers representing Hell (with Kefka-Satan from waist up, as described by Dante), Purgatory (the tortured naked people, again, Dante) and Heaven (here Kefka is doing a full-blown pieta, complete with Mary). After climbing all of these layers, Dante met God. Whom does the party meet? Kefka, who has attained godlike power. I always thought he raised the whole monument as a mockery of religion, considering his nihilistic views, as he believes his power makes him the only one worthy of being called "God". I kinda like the symbolism of this fight and there's no denying this was intentional.
    I'd call this more of an elaborate literary reference than anything religious on the part of the developers. That said, TDC was a product of heavy religious influence, so there's that.

I'd also disagree that Kefka raises anything as an affront to religion. I played the game recently and I don't recall anything that was direct religious criticism. There's the idea that an all-powerful entity can destroy whatever he pleases at any moment - but all the talk about a "god" of magic and all the religious/literary imagery seems more like an elaborate way of showing his Kefka's tyranny over the population (if the psychic beams of fire weren't enough). His power pretty much does make him a "god" relatively-speaking. It's not like the characters arrive and correct him on what a real god is or how it should behave.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dun mix serious religion stuff into my games that help me escape reality and cope with this twisted world pls.