Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing games

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Dragon Age II. I loved the changes made to combat and the characters were great, but the plot as a whole was just a bit lacking. Bioware says they're looking to "games like Skyrim" for DAIII, but that doesn't really put me at ease. Skyrim has no soul to it

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Dragon Age II. I loved the changes made to combat and the characters were great, but the plot as a whole was just a bit lacking. Bioware says they're looking to "games like Skyrim" for DAIII, but that doesn't really put me at ease. Skyrim has no soul to it
    I have always wondered about DA II. I love DA: Origins & thought it was an awesome RPG. I haven't bought DA II because 2 friends of mine who are also big fans of Origins said it sucked. To be honest if I see DA II 2nd hand I will probably pick it up anyway & see for myself.

When Bioware say they're "looking to Skyrim" for DA III what does that mean exactly? Changing the game to a 1st person game or what?

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    not really, it does sound like a gta side mission...
    'COUSIN! I have always wanted the PS3, you know! Let's get one from my insurance company! Show up at my apartment with a molotov!'

immediately sorry if anyone got hurt in the fire
    Haha, awesome~ And nah, no worries. It was just a huge inconvenience. No injuries or anything

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post

Also, Assassin's Creed, while repetitive is still fun and there continues to be nothing like it on the market. The first one is fun and but suffers from some incomplete combat. The second steps it up and adds a ton of new things with a more interesting story. Brotherhood I feel is the best game as it refines many of the elements of 2 but continues to add and become its own game.

I played Brotherhood before I played 2 and I think it stands alone well enough. I picked it up for $10 around Christmas so I would wait until the price is that if you really want to give the series another chance.
    The funny thing is that I felt Brotherhood is the weakest entry of the Ezio Trilogy. Mostly due to the myriad of bugs in the game and the "more frustrating than fun" sub-objective for mission. There are other problems with the game as well for me but I won't go into them here.

Though I will definetly throw my hat in with Assassin's Creed 1 being pretty disappointing and dismal. Thank god ACII fixed most of the games problems.

Here's a few more games that ended up disappointing me:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - The overhaul of the combat system to incorporate streamlined 3rd person shooter elements kind of wrecked the delicate balance of the stealth aspect of the game, and kind of sucked the challenge out of the game, especially thanks to the new weapon acquirement system and the introduction of a tranq gun with an infinite silencer and damn close to infinite ammo. The story has several wonderful moments and the cinematics in the game are great but trying to rectify the more sensible plots of MGS1 and MGS3 with the plot tumor that is MGS2 was going to lead to some hiccups and while they definetly did a much better job coming up with a rational explanation for everything than I thought possible, I did feel that the story pulled a few things that seemed really silly. Like resurrecting Big Boss so he can have one last speech to Snake and then promptly die for the third time in the franchise and pretty much anything involving Rosemary, Raiden, and Vamp.The constant loading screens are also a pain in the ass. I thought we got past that nonsense in the PS2 era. If Suikoden V can't go unscathed with load times in the PS2 era, how the hell does MGS4 get perfect 10s in the PS3 era with load screens that can take up to five minutes? Its not a bad game, but I definetly feel its overall the weakest entry of the MGS titles.

Street Fighter IV - Once again not a bad game, but I definetly question the choice of reverting the core game mechanics back to SFII. SFIV kind of taught me that some modern 2D fighting advancements (like air block) are actually quite handy and something I'm just accustomed to. The game is also pretty slow by modern standards and even the new patched versions still move like molasses. The game is fun but nothing I would dedicate too much of my time with. I'm still waiting for a SF game to succeed SFAlpha3 for me. Though to be fair, it's more playable than MvC3...

Xenosaga Episode II - A perfect example of how executive meddling can kill a good franchise. It's one of those titles where everything sounded good on paper and utterly failed in execution. The real amusing coincidence is that the only other game like it is Final Fantasy XIII, with both games having similar battle system concepts, linear unimaginative dungeon design, a poor and linear customization system, a weak side quest system that is often lauded for being more annoying than fun, and both games end with the final boss being the space pope. Well technically Albedo's the final boss of XSII but that fight is kind of a gimme. All of this just helped make XSIII so amazing since it overhauled everything and came out surprisingly well.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ACII is my favourite of the lot. Haven't played Revelations yet, though.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Final Fantasy 14 is the most disappointing game for me over the past 5 years, probably. FF13 and MGS4 were kinda disappointing, but mostly for the lack of replay value. The first time around, they were "all right". The main thing keeping me from replaying MGS4 is however the 5x installs. If they patched it to let me install the entire game at once, i would probably replay it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

The biggest ever...not to me though I kinda already knew it sucked, but in terms of what it was supposed to be? Yarp.

Street Fighter IV - Once again not a bad game, but I definetly question the choice of reverting the core game mechanics back to SFII. SFIV kind of taught me that some modern 2D fighting advancements (like air block) are actually quite handy and something I'm just accustomed to. The game is also pretty slow by modern standards and even the new patched versions still move like molasses. The game is fun but nothing I would dedicate too much of my time with. I'm still waiting for a SF game to succeed SFAlpha3 for me. Though to be fair, it's more playable than MvC3...
    I still think the game is more like 3S than SFII...
    Last edited by Lionx; 04-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    I still think the game is more like 3S than SFII...
    I never played a lot of 3rd Strike so I can't make a good comparison, but I do agree that I never quite got the SFII comparison either having bought SFIV not long after getting the Super Turbo HD Remix and playing then both quite a bit at around the same time. There are quite a few aspects like focus attacks which are pretty fundamental to the game which weren't in II. Not to mention I agree that it felt quite a bit slower, not to mention quite a bit more convoluted than SFII with multiple meters and moves that are sometimes needlessly complex.

I never played a lot of 3rd Strike so I can't make a good comparison, but I do agree that I never quite got the SFII comparison either having bought SFIV not long after getting the Super Turbo HD Remix and playing then both quite a bit at around the same time. There are quite a few aspects like focus attacks which are pretty fundamental to the game which weren't in II. Not to mention I agree that it felt quite a bit slower, not to mention quite a bit more convoluted than SFII with multiple meters and moves that are sometimes needlessly complex.
    Some of the things that its similar and why i say so is in bulletpoints:

-Throws are LP+LK and not one button. Similarly, Taunts are also the same set of buttons.
    -Focus Attacks are kind of a ghetto Parry.
    -EX Moves started from the SFIII series.
    -Super flash animation ripped straight from SFIII
    -The ability to choose Ultras is very akin to choosing Super Arts from SFIII.

The only thing similar is that fireballs aren't negated by Parry straight out for some spacing, but even then theres many EX moves or moves that go through them. The reason i say this is because HDR and the original SFII relied heavily on positioning and fireballs are a key part of it. Its not as key to SFIV as they were in SFII thats for sure.

I am pretty confident that the comparison was purely for marketing on our nostalgia because outside of the original characters being there, the gameplay is surprisingly not very SFII.

On thate note, i really love the original game <3 It has a great charm to it even after all these years.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Street Fighter III is the best one.

That is all.

Blog Entries

Tekkan X Street Fighter is going to be a much better! To be honest this isn't a match up I particularly wanted to see. Would Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat or doing a Marvel vs Capcom vs Namco game not have been better?

What are you, SuperMillionaire?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    What are you, SuperMillionaire?
    Wouldn't I have to want a crossover between either & the Final Fantasy universe for that to happen

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm mostly miffed they removed Air Blocking because it was extremely useful and kind of an important part of my fighting style. While it has technical similarities to SFIII, I feel that SFIII was handled better and the Parry system really changed things, whereas the Focus/Revenge Counter system doesn't quite feel as polished as the Parry/Alpha Counters, its mostly there for advanced players and dealing with the new characters cheap move sets. I also feel the incredibly short turn arounds for Super SFIV and the next version update were also pretty annoying. At least there was some time in-between the older entries to get accustomed before they released an upgraded version. Wasn't the difference between SFIV and Super SFIV like only a year?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Prototype: I would say that this was pretty much one of the most disappointing games I've played in the past. The trailers really made it out to be this huge sandbox action-adventure game but when you got into it, you found yourself really bored with doing the same side-quests over and over again. I mean, I could only swoop-up and tear apart so many old ladies (then disguise myself as them while running up a building) before it got dreadfully boring.