Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Cardinal Sins of Game Design

I got that trophy my first playthrough, just because I thought it was cool.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

@VeloZer0 - I'm not as old and as jaded as I make myself out to be. Besides, sometimes you have to look at a situation objectively and decide whether your lack of enjoyment in something is purely the fault of the activity itself or whether your own attitude and pride has become a stumbling block keeping you from just enjoying something.

While I'm firmly in the camp of "games are art" and as a new medium of storytelling; it doesn't mean I can't enjoy some silly trashy minigame collection romp here and there, or some silly flash game on my PC. I still play my Wii frequently, which most of the professed "hardcore gamers" will consider an unforgivable sin and proof that I don't deserve to be considered a "real gamer" but I still find the system fun and I still feel that motion gaming can have a future in the game market, but that's a discussion for another time and thread. My point is that while I do feel the old days have some wonderful merits, and often superior design choices, that has been lost in the glamor of graphic whoring, and CPU dick waving between the Big 3, it doesn't necessarily mean I feel all games that don't do it like the old days are inferior. Like yourself, I'm actually not wild on the idea of A.I. parties in RPGs, but I also feel that Persona 3, FFXII, and now Xenoblade Chronicles have made very strong cases for showing me that such a design choice can still be fun, rewarding, and not have to sacrifice control and strategy. So, while I'm certainly old, I'm not as jaded as I pretend to be.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, Capcom. Everything they do.