Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Underrated Games

What are some underrated games that more people should have played?

I'll start with this one:

Great 2D platformer from Capcom. It was sort of like Mega Man "Lite" or something and it was SO great.

Blog Entries

Radiata Stories: This game had me laughing my ass off and had me crying my eyes out. The story is just so amazingly done. The pacing is good, there is a split path that makes you want to play it again, there are 177 playable characters that you can unlock, leading to a long, side-quest heavy(Even though some are as short as "Talk to her and she joins you"), replayable game with an optional, post-game dungeon that is fun and tests you and your choice of party members. Fun combat, great story, great replayability, I've never heard anyone ever talk about this game outside of this forum or Youtube videos about this game. Ever.

Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits: As someone who has never played the original Arc The Lad games, I can't really give too much of an opinion on this, but I remember talking about this game on this site, and, when I did, I was instantly told that this game is terrible when compared to the originals. That may be true, but this game still shouldn't be thrown aside. It's a great game with a good story and pretty fun battles. I greatly enjoy this game when I decide to pick it up.

Megaman Legends 1 and 2: Oh my god, I love these games. I always loved Megaman as a kid, and to play it in 3D, to be able to delve into ruins and search for items to make weapons and to fight awesome bosses, these are easily some of my favorite games. I really wish Megaman Legends 3 wouldn't have been canned, I would have bought 2 Nintendo 3DS systems and 2 games so I could play it in 6D. I wouldn't have halted for a second. Unfortunately, these game remains rather unknown, and I find that to be a shame.

Tomba!: I've never actually owned this game, I had it on an old Playstation Demo Disc back in the day, but I did acquire through... less legal means(I downloaded that trout), and it still holds up today, in my eyes. It is a bit confusing, but it is a solid, funny, and fun platformer that no one knows about.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lets see : The Saboteur - A sandbox game that involved saving 1940's Paris from the Nazi's. I really don't get why this game wasn't more popular! An Irish main character who's one liners & accent were just so racist against Irish people in general that I loved it (I'm Irish btw not a racist). Free roaming around 1940's Paris & the surrounding countryside is awesome as your character can scale buildings Assassin's Creed style. Destroying random military targets around the city actually directly effected how difficult story missions in those areas would be. There are rumours of a sequel which would be awesome.

Medievil - Probably one of the most fun games on the PSX. I had this game (lost my copy!?!) but bought it off the PSN a couple of weeks ago on a whim & I'm glad I did. The level design is interesting. The graphic style for it's day was great. My only gripe with this game is the controls can be awful clumsy especially when you're trying to avoid death via pitfall or hazard. It may have received critical acclaim but I'm the only person I know that ever bought the game. It's on PSN so no excuses people.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Magical Quest was great. There are some good ones so far and for the time being I'll add Way of the Samurai to the mix. That game was so many different kinds of awesome it's tough to describe adequately. It certainly had the best use of a branching story line I've ever seen in a game.

Also, I'll add Resident Evil: Outbreak. troutty online implementation and communication aside, some of those levels were cool, and it had a ton of great ideas; weapon crafting from spare parts, barring doors to slow down zombies, hordes that pursue you relentlessly. I'd love to see a game take those ideas and expand on them, though Project Zomboid kind of does that already I suppose. There aren't nearly enough Zombie games that are about actually surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I could barely get through Radiata Stories, the gameplay was so bad. (As in, "I got bored" as opposed to, "I couldn't do it.")
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Magical Quest was one of my favorite games as a kid. That and the SNES Lion King game took up a surprising amount of my free time when I was younger.

A game I have always enjoyed but no one I know has played (probably because it was for the Turbografx) is Final Lap: Twin. A racing rpg with random encounters with other racers. It probably really wasn't that great of a game, but I loved it and have always wanted to get other people to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post
    Lets see : The Saboteur - A sandbox game that involved saving 1940's Paris from the Nazi's. I really don't get why this game wasn't more popular! An Irish main character who's one liners & accent were just so racist against Irish people in general that I loved it (I'm Irish btw not a racist). Free roaming around 1940's Paris & the surrounding countryside is awesome as your character can scale buildings Assassin's Creed style. Destroying random military targets around the city actually directly effected how difficult story missions in those areas would be. There are rumours of a sequel which would be awesome.
    It was a little rough around the edges, and that Midnight Show stuff was embarrassingly stupid, but I really enjoyed this game. My husband guided me to the top of the Eiffel Tower in that game because it's basically the same inside as it is in real life. :P He was like "Climb those stairs, there's an elevator that'll take you to the observation platform." Nice.

Gosh, I'm having a hard time thinking of any games I've played that might be considered underrated. I agree with Shattered Dreamer about MediEvil. I've had that game ever since I've owned a PlayStation, and I still love it. The controls are clunky, yes, but overall the gameplay is wonderful.

I'll throw out two games. The first is called Descent. It's a 3D flight sim/FPS combo that was revolutionary for its time (1995), cashing in on the success of similar recent FPS titles like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. Basically, you fly around blasting robots, blow up reactors, and escape within a time limit. Fun stuff that garnered a couple sequels, though it's largely been forgotten about. It still has a small cult following, though.

The second game is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and its expansion, Alien Crossfire. Simply put, it's Civ in space. But I love it more than any of the Civ games. There's just something I find really cool about it. I've loved it since I was a kid. It never took off, though, and it went out of print fairly quickly, but if sniff around the internet you can pick up a copy real cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fierytempest View Post
    I could barely get through Radiata Stories, the gameplay was so bad. (As in, "I got bored" as opposed to, "I couldn't do it.")
    D:

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Zelda:Windwaker.

Come at me, bro.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    It was a little rough around the edges, and that Midnight Show stuff was embarrassingly stupid, but I really enjoyed this game. My husband guided me to the top of the Eiffel Tower in that game because it's basically the same inside as it is in real life. :P He was like "Climb those stairs, there's an elevator that'll take you to the observation platform." Nice.
    I bought the game 2nd hand so I didn't get the Midnight show dlc until it was made free a while back. Topless burlesque dancers really added nothing to the game

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I also loved The Saboteur. The challenges were really fun, for the most part. And the character was definitely one of the worst fake Irish people I've ever heard (and I live with a Northern Irish guy ), but it was so bad that it was kind of endearing, haha.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    The second game is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and its expansion, Alien Crossfire. Simply put, it's Civ in space. But I love it more than any of the Civ games. There's just something I find really cool about it. I've loved it since I was a kid. It never took off, though, and it went out of print fairly quickly, but if sniff around the internet you can pick up a copy real cheap.
    YOU ARE MY NEW FAVORITE PERSON ON THE FORUM.

(...aaaand no one else on the forum is surprised)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    YOU ARE MY NEW FAVORITE PERSON ON THE FORUM.

(...aaaand no one else on the forum is surprised)
    Yayz!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Magical Quest brings back fond memories.

Another game I thought underrated back in the day was Paladin's Quest for SNES. It's a fun little RPG that uses an interesting magic system (there is no MP and all spells use HP), and throughout the game you construct your party by hiring mercenaries that can be found virtually anywhere, creating some varied experiences.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum