Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pass the Controller Bro

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I will give the wii that almost all the games on it are exclusives, whereas on PS3 it's around 15% are exculsives, and on XBOX it's about 10%.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Harle View Post
    You're forgetting that Nintendo are useless trouts who could be out-performed by seaweed. Factor that in, and it all makes sense.
    "Out-performed" in what way? Sales? Certainly not in many home console generations, including this one, and never in the handheld space. Power? Historically they've had pretty beefy systems. The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 and the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis. Controllers? Nintendo is responsible for basically every part of the modern controller. Directional pads, shoulder buttons, rumble, analog sticks, and motion controls were all things made standard in home consoles by Nintendo.

So yeah, not sure what you're trying to get at there.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

To be fair, Sony beat them to it with motion control via the PS Eye.

Unless you're going to count light guns as motion control. In that case, I have no idea who was first.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

Unless you're going to count light guns as motion control. In that case, I have no idea who was first.
    The Mayans. They have invented everything.

PlayStation Eye/Eye Toy certainly isn't the standard. You can count on everyone having some form of motion control out-of-the-box going forward.

And Nintendo did motion control before that anyway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Tilt_and_Tumble

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

There was other stuff long ago. Technically aren't both MOVE and KINECT based off of the PS eyetoy?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Technically speaking, PS Move is no different from Eyetoy (and therefore also Kinect), except that you with the PS Move basically are holding two flashlights which lets the PS3 more easily detect what's human motion and what isn't, compared to relying entirely on light reflected off of the humans, which is more prone to incorrect detections.

Kinect is also just basically a stereoscopic (enables 3D tracking) eyetoy with infrared spectrum sensor ability*. Infrared lets the camera more easily discern between a human and its background, considering your environment does not generally keep a temperature of 37 degrees.

*) Infrared detection is not hard to do. In fact, even the most basic cell phone cameras unintentionally detect a tiny bit of the ultraviolet and infrared spectrum. Even some some human eyes can, but the lenses in our eyes block it out. People who get their natural lenses replaced with plastic ones (for various reasons, often as a treatment for cataracts) can in some cases instantly start detecting a tiny bit of ultraviolet light.
    Last edited by Mirage; 04-25-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Microsoft took motion gaming a step further with the Kinect.
    I wouldn't say a step further actually. More of a tangent that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Not that more traditional motion controls seem to be going anywhere lately either.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    You're forgetting that Nintendo are useless trouts who could be out-performed by seaweed. Factor that in, and it all makes sense.
    "Out-performed" in what way? Sales? Certainly not in many home console generations, including this one, and never in the handheld space. Power? Historically they've had pretty beefy systems. The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 and the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis. Controllers? Nintendo is responsible for basically every part of the modern controller. Directional pads, shoulder buttons, rumble, analog sticks, and motion controls were all things made standard in home consoles by Nintendo.

It was an obvious mockery of the lack of creativity and imagination that Nintendo consistently display, borne from my sadness over what one of the greatest games companies has become. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so subtle.

Also, if you had ever been to Wales, you'd know that seaweed sells like hot cakes.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Microsoft took motion gaming a step further with the Kinect.
    I wouldn't say a step further actually. More of a tangent that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Not that more traditional motion controls seem to be going anywhere lately either.
    In my head how you put it is what I really meant. Don't know why I worded it the way I did. But yeah, my point was that eventually all the companies embraced motion gaming in one form or another. It doesn't seem to be popular anymore, but still, it happened.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PlayStation Eye/Eye Toy certainly isn't the standard. You can count on everyone having some form of motion control out-of-the-box going forward.
    Dear God, I hope that won't be true. I fail to see why motion control should even be a thing until it works like it did in the movie Gamer.

lack of creativity and imagination that Nintendo consistently display
    Ha ha ha ha, ok, sweetheart

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

This thread had gone kind of pants until Arthur got told by Rhody, and now I like it again.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He called me sweetheart, and now I just don't know which way is up anymore.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Controllers that are good by generation

Nintendo
    Super Nintendo
    Playstation
    Gamecube

Controllers that were Okay
    Genesis
    N64
    XBox S Type
    PS2
    PS3

Terrible Controllers
    Colecovision
    Jaguar
    Dreamcast
    XBox Original monstrosity
    Wiimote

This is pretty much my view. The ones that are in the okay category are not bad but they have not really stepped up their game in comparison to the competition during their own generation. The PS2 and PS3 are basically the same thing as the PSOne Dual Shock controller. No advancement has been made. Overall controller design has gotten better and until the wii hit the stage I thought we would never have a bad controller again. Thank you Nintendo for making a gimmick into your whole system =P