Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multiplayer. With Real People.

I have no friends who want to play video games. The last time I did play with someone physically beside me was my sister's boyfriend and Guitar Hero a few months back.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I used to play Goldeneye, Smash Bros. and Mario Party with my brothers all the time when we all lived together, and in college I played NFL Blitz and Mario Golf with my roommates almost daily. Miriel and I also played FFXI together back in the day but since then we don't really play games together. Most of the games I get are single player, with the multiplayer only as a side feature and available only online.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Me and my friends played so much Smash Bros. (original, melee, and brawl), medal of honor, and spy vs. spy I'm surprised how it never got old. I always SUCKED at spy vs. spy though, good lord I sucked at it.
    If I still lived in NC this would probably still be happening, but eh, gotta live with what you got right?
    I do occasionally play Soul Calibur with friends here though, and I make sure to never play so I suck as much as they do.
    Smash Bros is still my FAVORITE party game though. Soooo much time invested in those games.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

In person multiplayer is the only acceptable multiplayer. The guys that play online tend to be FPS drones, which has never really held my interest. I guess I just prefer snagging several bottles of liquor and a big sofa and settling in for the evening.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Local co-op is my favourite thing ever. Danielle and I have done a lot of this, and when Dan + Elly + Danielle + me played Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, it was possibly the highlight of my multiplayer life. The great thing about local co-op multiplayer is that you don't need the game to be anything special (although obviously it helps). In fact, in some cases, I would say that the simpler the better - I would much prefer to play hack'n'slash games like Gauntlet with friends than a game that required a lot of timing and thought. All you need are an army of monsters charging at you that can be destroyed in epic style by the four of you. And when it somehow all goes wrong, it's hilarious rather than frustrating. God damn I need to play a hack'n'slash with Danielle sometime soon. x_x
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

4-player local co-op Gauntlet is nirvana. Truly no multiplayer experience like it.

I've almost 80 days of power time on my console for Smash Bros. Brawl. I have 699 / 700 stickers, accrued simply on the rare occasions when we decide to play with items. We have a stockpile of booze prepared for celebration of the last sticker, in what is surely the nerdiest and simultaneously most glorious reason for a party I've ever been involved in. I anticipate it will happen sometime this summer, let me know if you'd like to join.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember playing Champions of Norrath ("If nothing else, I am rich in friends") with my mate and having an absolute blast. Dungeon-crawly, looty, hack-slashy games are perfect for splitscreen.

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

There are some AWESOME co-op games that have been coming out lately, that really just beg for sofa sessions. Hard Corps: Uprising, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Portal 2, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, and they even re-released Simpson Arcade on Playstation Network. Local Co-op is freaking booming lately.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

League of Legend meet ups are always a thing I'm up for. That way I can be schooled on how terribly I'm playing, but without the subtle skype-rage making the school seem cynical.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

In the fighting game community, live play is valued much more highly over online play. There are some that completely disregard the online multiplayer of a fighting game altogether. Personally, I get more out of live play than online play if only because of the delay that takes place over an average connection. It can really change up timing for specials and combos.
    I believe in the power of humanity.