Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strategy Guides

Blog Entries

Guys, smurf strategy guides. The only good one came bundled with the game and had scratch and sniff stickers. Everything else is the same stuff you can find on GameFAQs, and that is aggregated data you can shove in a three-ring binder. Nothing against it, but why is that tit in a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post
    Guys, smurf strategy guides. The only good one came bundled with the game and had scratch and sniff stickers. Everything else is the same stuff you can find on GameFAQs, and that is aggregated data you can shove in a three-ring binder. Nothing against it, but why is that tit in a book?
    I agree, the idea of a strategy guide seems a bit antiquated now that we're in a technological age. When there was no such thing as internet, you had no choice but to buy a guide or Nintendo Power or whatever. Even through the dial-up years, I was buying magazines for gaming help. But now that most of us have high-speed internet and can access nearly any piece of information in the blink of an eye, strategy guides have seemingly lost their place in the gaming world.

I should of gotten a strategy guide to FF7 instead of reading it off the net from some joker (it was my very first rpg and I was pretty clueless on how to play rpg's back then). The guy who made up the walkthrough I was looking at gave a spoiler about what happened to Aeris.

He didn't necessarily say she dies but he gave reference that something happens to her. I guess he/she may not of considered that a spoiler since they didn't actually say exactly what happened but it was still more info than I would of liked to know.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono View Post
    I should have gotten a strategy guide to FF7...
    You mean the Brady Games version? To my knowledge, that guide had a lot of wrong info in it. You probably wouldn't have liked it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    You mean the Brady Games version? To my knowledge, that guide had a lot of wrong info in it. You probably wouldn't have liked it much.
    I was just being sarcastic in that a professionally done strategy guide or walkthrough probably would not of had any spoilers in it like the walkthrough I looked at over the net did.

I still get guides, just for reading sometimes. I have the Skyrim guide and the Final Fantasy XII guide.

But my gems are the original Pokemon Red and Blue guide. I used to read the guide for fun.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    I was just being sarcastic in that a professionally done strategy guide or walkthrough probably would not of had any spoilers in it like the walkthrough I looked at over the net did.
    The Bradygames guide had pictures of Aerith getting stabbed and Cloud releasing her in the lake. That guide spoiled her death for me.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I need to buy a couple guides just to have them for the neat trivia and pictures and trout.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post

The Bradygames guide had pictures of Aerith getting stabbed and Cloud releasing her in the lake. That guide spoiled her death for me.
    What the heck. That is just wrong. I guess some of these people working in a company making up these strategy guides are jokers to, lol.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What the heck. That is just wrong. I guess some of these people working in a company making up these strategy guides are jokers to, lol.
    Now, I should say that my love of strategy guides kind of mirrors my love of manuals. I like having that quick reference filled with pictures, artwork, backstory, etc. all right there at hand to flip through.

That said, strategy guides, at least in my experience, aren't held to a very high quality standard. Maybe a rung or two above your average games journalism these days, and a little bit below the tabloids by the grocery store checkout. It was worse in the 90's though. I have some guides that might as well have been (and very well might have been) written by some teenager doing a troutty guide for Gamefaqs. Quality was all over the map for years with these things so some are pretty damn good, others are a mess, some are horribly out of date (Starcraft 2's strategy guide that spent almost half it's pages on multiplayer).

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm often impressed with the quality of strategy guides, myself, although I think there has certainly been a drop. FFIX and XII had amazing strategy guides (apart from the PlayOnline stuff!), and the Oblivion guide was great as well. Skyrim was a step down from Oblivion, though.

I'm in the same boat as Vivi in that I like the feel of paper and the turning off pages that the internet will never be able to provide, and while you can Ctrl + F things online, I prefer going through contents and indices every time. Books

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I don't actively buy any but I do get free ones form time to time working at "the store". I have an AC2 one? And a Borderlands one?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Can I have the Borderlands one? I figure you like AC so you might as well keep AC2.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

It's the collectors one so it's hard bounded and super large! And i'm not paying shipping so no! Otherwise yeah totally.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I used to collect the FF ones (I've got Anthology, VII to X-2, Tactics Grimoire of the Rift, and Dissidia), special edition Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age Awakenings, Star Ocean: Til the End of Time, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, KH1, KH2, and Infinite Undiscovery. Jeeze, I didn't realize that I owned this many.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4