Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: The Elder Scrolls

  1. #46
    Slothstronaut Slothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I'm in space
    Posts
    13,195
    Blog Entries
    27
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Why are you not leveling your combat skills anyways!?
    I never said I wasn't. Trouble is that if unless you only level one skill to the exclusion of anything else and that one happens to be a combat skill (unrealistic not to mention impossible) you'll be ready to level up before you get a decent modifier for the combat skill. Getting even a measly +2 at a time could leave you falling behind the enemies after several levels.

    Especially if you happen to level a lot of other skills like athletics, armorer, speech etc. for other reasons. In fact, I always found any time I played Oblivion that my combat skills generally leveled slower than any of my other major skills because even if you're exploring every cave you come across you're probably still using them less than a lot of other skills.

    I've played this game I don't know.. a dozen or more times and I have NEVER had ANY problem with leveling or ANYTHING being too difficult that I couldn't level up once or twice and complete it.
    Again, it's not a question of running into things that are hard and needing to level. Honestly, I have to question if some of the people in this thread even know how the leveling system works in Oblivion. If you level up as soon as you're able to, odds are you're only going to get a +2 modifier for a combat stat. It is entirely possible that if you continue to level as soon as it becomes available the game will become progressively harder. This is not something that happens instantly. It is a problem which compounds itself the longer it goes on making the game a bit harder every time you gain a level.

    And again, this isn't some esoteric, happens once in a million years if you actively try to go out of your way and accomplish it sort of thing. It is something which happened quite frequently to new players and is well known to exist. Just because it didn't happen to you guys does not mean it is some impossible to accomplish thing that couldn't possibly happen. It's remarkably easy to pull just by not realizing how the leveling system works.

    And I'll say one last time that this only happened to me on my first play through. After that I read up on why the game was getting harder, found a lot of people with the same issue, and looked into how the leveling system works so that it never happened to me again. It didn't happen because I was an idiot, or because I had never played an RPG before, or because I did anything wrong when my decision to level as soon as possible would be correct in any game where the leveling system made sense. so if people are going to continue discussing this as though I must have done something wrong and the difficulty I experienced on my first play through was my fault and not a result of a leveling system which was both broken and gave incentives to postpone using it as long as possible without explaining that rather important fact (something no sane person could argue makes sense, let alone is acceptable), then I have no real interest continuing this discussion.

    I've made my argument based on how the game actually works and the real experiences of many players who found themselves in the same position I did on their first play through. If anyone doesn't understand how it can happen then feel free to fire up a new game and try it for yourself over the course of 10+ levels or so and tell me that the game doesn't get steadily more difficult. Keep it up over 20 levels if you really want to see how ass backwards the whole thing is.
    Last edited by Slothy; 08-14-2012 at 09:19 PM.

  2. #47
    Kuldotha Rebirth escobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Great Furnace
    Posts
    17,649
    Blog Entries
    4

    FFXIV Character

    Ninbert Vuon (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I always leveled asap, and I have gone into the 20's and 30's. I tend to do speed, endurance and strength. I always use blades, and tend to put a lot into repair and athletics/speed. I almost always play Khajjit. I love when I get to the point where I run faster than any horse in the game.

    All goblin rituals serve a dual purpose as fertility rites, even the destructive ones. Especially the destructive ones.

  3. #48
    (charm)anders was right Pike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Circle Tower :shifty:
    Posts
    18,596
    Articles
    13

    FFXIV Character

    Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

  4. #49
    Slothstronaut Slothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I'm in space
    Posts
    13,195
    Blog Entries
    27
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    That is indeed one of the better things to ever come out of Oblivion.

  5. #50
    Famine Wolf Cid's Knight Sephex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    12,085
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    That is great! I have played games blackout drunk myself, but not that point. I at least remember bits and pieces.

  6. #51
    Nameleon. Huckleberry Quin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    These mountains are made of rainbows.
    Posts
    20,008
    Blog Entries
    3
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    I usually +5'd Intelligence due to boosting Alchemy up to max. Everything else would be +1 - +3, at best. I always ignored Luck and, when I could, Endurance because pfffffrrrrrrt! I'm all about Speed and Agility! Athletics and Acrobatics all the way!

    I thought you were just talking about your Skill levels being low compared to your Character Level, which I thought was understandable. But your argument is about the modifiers?

  7. #52
    Kuldotha Rebirth escobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Great Furnace
    Posts
    17,649
    Blog Entries
    4

    FFXIV Character

    Ninbert Vuon (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    lulz. This is actually kinda how I learned of the game kinda.
    One day while at my friend Seth's house smoking he popped in Oblivion. So then my friend Brandon and I proceeded to see who could last the longest in the imperial city just killing everything.

    All goblin rituals serve a dual purpose as fertility rites, even the destructive ones. Especially the destructive ones.

  8. #53
    Eggstreme Wheelie Jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    26,813
    Articles
    65
    Blog Entries
    1
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flambard D'Quinceteth View Post
    Have you read his Skyrim one? It was also brilliant, though I mourn the death of Living in Oblivion.
    I have not! I will have to chase it up then.

    They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.


  9. #54
    Nameleon. Huckleberry Quin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    These mountains are made of rainbows.
    Posts
    20,008
    Blog Entries
    3
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

  10. #55
    milliegoesbeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Batcave
    Posts
    395
    Articles
    3
    Blog Entries
    4
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

    Default

    I love the series, even though there are plenty of bugs. For me, I find them rather amusing and see them as a quirky add to the games. I've played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and I find them really visually appealing. The games themselves have a very unique structure of game play and I like the fact that they are loose ended.

  11. #56
    Eggstreme Wheelie Jiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    26,813
    Articles
    65
    Blog Entries
    1
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

    Default

    Why thank you kind sir. pipe2.gif

    They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •