Thread: Self-esteem

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

With me I don't think it's that I hate myself, so much as I think "yeah I'm pretty awesome, but everyone else is even MORE awesome."

So yeah.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I kind of just stopped giving a crap. I mean, I don't have any major problems with me. Could I be better? Yeah, probably, in some way or another. But I'm not out there to be Mr. Perfect and I prefer being the person I am rather than being the person that social norms suggest I should be.

Basically, I grew up.

EDIT: One thing I will say is that I don't like to show off how terrible I am at things. This limits my willingness to get involved in multiplayer games that require you to repeatedly do the same thing over and over in order to compete with the 'best' (or as I think of them: 'the people who spent the most time and effort figuring it out').
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I kind of just stopped giving a crap. I mean, I don't have any major problems with me. Could I be better? Yeah, probably, in some way or another. But I'm not out there to be Mr. Perfect and I prefer being the person I am rather than being the person that social norms suggest I should be.

Basically, I grew up.

EDIT: One thing I will say is that I don't like to show off how terrible I am at things. This limits my willingness to get involved in multiplayer games that require you to repeatedly do the same thing over and over in order to compete with the 'best' (or as I think of them: 'the people who spent the most time and effort figuring it out').
    I'm the same way. That's why I stopped playing Halo, but also cba to keep downloading new maps. I have only a few things where I intend to strive at and will if I haven't already, but if they aren't things I'm passionate about I don't prioritize the effort I put into them.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

You can still be baller at Halo even without knowing where trout is.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It helps though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm good at Halo as long as I've got the tank.

True story: When I played multiplayer on Blood Gulch back in the day people used to take the tank before I could and stuff it into some crack in the wall so I couldn't get it.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty much reliant on my high self esteem. I don't take much trout from anybody and I don't give a rats ass about who knows that I think highly of myself. I was made to feel at the lowest a human can possibly ever get and I refuse to ever feel that way again and if people think I'm arrogant because I know I'm a moderately attractive guy with way more charm than most and a suave sophistication that means I can walk in to a club and hit on the hottest girl in the room without a care in the god damn world about her saying no, because if she does I'm still likely to walk away with a girl who is better than average. Then so be it. Frankly I don't give a smurf what you think because I can't hear you over the sound of just how freaking awesome I am. Those who actually take time to get to know me realize that whilst I can appear arrogant at first I'm genuinely not the type for it, I know I have flaws and failings but I accept them and move on.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I'm good at Halo as long as I've got the tank.

True story: When I played multiplayer on Blood Gulch back in the day people used to take the tank before I could and stuff it into some crack in the wall so I couldn't get it.
    Bahahahaha. Poor, Pike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    I'm pretty much reliant on my high self esteem.
    Well, that's honest of you. It's not the best way to get girls, but it's honest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    I'm pretty much reliant on my high self esteem.
    Well, that's honest of you. It's not the best way to get girls, but it's honest.
    I disagree. Most women respond well to my attitude. The fact that I consider myself worthwhile is appealing to them, to put it in the words of a girl I met recently; It makes them feel that if I value myself and and yet showed them interest means that I hold them in relative esteem compared to myself. I'd agree with her, I have to think highly of anyone I would consider for a relationship because I couldn't bring myself to bother with someone I didn't think of at least as highly as I think of myself.

Steve I'm sorry I simply cannot believe that you're some Cockney Fonz. You are at best a sitcom comedy grotesque with absolutely no self awareness. However if it works it works. knock yerself out. I might move to London meself, I mean if a leather-clad eyebrow with an underbite can get women in their droves, I reackon I'm in with a chance.

I'm a very shy, retiring character with massive self esteem issues. I feel Hux's pain.
    Last edited by Cuchulainn; 08-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Confidence is fine and dandy, but I'd take someone with more modesty over an arrogant sod any day. Awesome people are awesome because they don't know all the reasons why they're awesome—they just are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Steve I'm sorry I simply cannot believe that you're some Cockney Fonz. You are at best a sitcom comedy grotesque with absolutely no self awareness. However if it works it works. knock yerself out. I might move to London meself, I mean if a leather-clad eyebrow with an underbite can get women in their droves, I reackon I'm in with a chance.

I'm a very shy, retiring character with massive self esteem issues. I feel Hux's pain.
    Hush up boyo you'd only make a fool of yourself in London and you know it. Stick to Ireland and your potatoes :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Confidence is fine and dandy, but I'd take someone with more modesty over an arrogant sod any day. Awesome people are awesome because they don't know all the reasons why they're awesome—they just are.
    I figure this might be somewhat discretely aimed in my direction. I know that at times people assume me to be arrogant because I'm self confident but you can be self confident and yet maintain an honest/modest opinion of yourself. For example knowing you are not the ugliest guy out there doesn't make you arrogant, arrogance would be to say you're the best looking guy out there or one of them regardless of the facts.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In all my conversations with Steve, and the one time I've met him in person, I have never considered Steve to be arrogant. It is not an accurate term for him.

Recognized Member milliegoesbeep's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've always had pretty bad self esteem issues but that sort of goes hand in hand with my personal life. I try to be a good person and I know I'm not the worst, it's more of my psychical attributes I have the most problem with.
    ​a calm sea never made a skillful sailor | MILLIEGOESBEEP