Thread: Is Not Wanting to Pay Regularly to Play This a Good Enough Excuse to Play This?

Default Is Not Wanting to Pay Regularly to Play This a Good Enough Excuse to Play This?

The thread you are now observing is pretty self-explanatory.

EDIT: I know I typed "A Good Enough Excuse to NOT Play This.."
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes. In my opinion, the price of FFXI is well above its value.

I don't know if the game is worth playing now, after all it is over a decade old. During that decade, however, it was a brilliant game definitely worthy of the monthly subscription! It's a shame that a lot of fans of the series won't ever get to experience the immense lore and incredible storyline archs within Vana'diel - definitely the most mature and engaging story throughout the series. A real shame.

I'd keep a good eye out for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn instead, which comes out later this year and is already looking like a very promising title worthy to have it's place in the series.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

I could never get into XI. I dunno it looked like if you got the end game stuff it'd be fun but, who wants to kill bunnies int he woods forever to do that? Not me.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is not wanting to pay for any video game a good enough excuse not to play it? Sure, if you're not a gamer. Games cost money to make. Setting down $15 to play FFXI for a month is no different than setting down $50 for the latest remake of FFIV, which you'll have beaten in a month. Well, it is on account of the fact that FFXI is cheaper, more social, and has vastly more content to explore.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The monthly fee is kind of daunting but think of it this way. How much time do you send on the typical $50 game? A month or two? Two months of FFXI is $26. You can likely find the current version of the game with all expansions online for $20 or less. So that's two months of a game (3 if you count the free month if they still do that) for the same price as any other game.

I played FFXI for about 2 years and it was well worth it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

The monthly subscription fee is worth it. You can say you get only one game and pay $15 bucks a month for it, but that price model beats out a static-priced game in content and eventually in fee. A $50~ game might have enough content to entertain you for more than a few months, but probably not. The $50~ games that do entertain a person for months on end is usually a first-person shooter like Call of Duty, and you get a couple of maps you play forever. Final Fantasy XI has a huge, huuuuuuuuge world. The subscription fee allows you to check out the world, the job system, and story for as much or little as you like. So even if you think the grind gets boring in XI, you at least are doing it in a variety of beautiful and unique landscapes.

One thing not mentioned here is that XI also has a base price before subscription, as in you have to purchase the game. I checked the official website and was shocked to see an ultimate collection available for $9.99. Little did I know that was a lie; the advertising was as outdated as its links to EBGames. But, anyways, it is on Steam for $20, which nets you your free thirty days, the game, and all the expansions.

Del Murder is biased when it comes to Final Fantasy XI; it enabled him to keep a girlfriend-turned-fiance. Will it help you meet a significant other? Maybe you should find out.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hey, she was my gf before I played the game!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Don't be silly. People who pay monthly fees for games don't have real girlfriends. They only have inflatable ones.

You make a very good point, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    Is not wanting to pay for any video game a good enough excuse not to play it?
    Seems like nobody rents out games anymore, but I was once able to rent brand new RPGs for $5wk and manage to beat it or get halfway through before spending $15-20.
    Setting down $15 to play FFXI for a month is no different than setting down $50 for the latest remake of FFIV, which you'll have beaten in a month. Well, it is on account of the fact that FFXI is cheaper, more social, and has vastly more content to explore.
    I'm used to getting all of my content in one package, I don't play to socialize, over the long run, XI would still be more expensive. I want a game I can finish. I do play online games that are pointless, but I DON'T F-ING PAY FOR THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The monthly fee is kind of daunting but think of it this way. How much time do you send on the typical $50 game? A month or two? Two months of FFXI is $26. You can likely find the current version of the game with all expansions online for $20 or less. So that's two months of a game (3 if you count the free month if they still do that) for the same price as any other game.
    Without the subscription, the package is useless. I don't like having to rely on the company to grant me access to a game I've F-ING PAID FOR. Which is why I'll never pay for XI or XIV.

Trust me, I'll eventually own every side game and remake been made... but so far, I've heard no excellent reasons to thwart my refusal to pay out on this game.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?

Well it's obvious that you just don't like the idea of online games in general, so what's the point in starting this thread? There are excellent reasons to play an MMORPG, but there's not much convincing anyone can do if you're mind is already shut off to it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I played a free trial of Ragnarok and spent a lot of time in a game called Serenia Fantasy. I refused to shell out for more time or extra features though.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman00890 View Post
    Don't be silly. People who pay monthly fees for games don't have real girlfriends. They only have inflatable ones.
    One of my friends had a child with a girl he met on FFXI. The amount her pays her in child support (oh come on, you've seen how well FF fans get along) is at least ten times the subscription fee of FFXI.