Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: smurfing swearing

Articles
    Blog Entries

A little bit, but I'm never downright vulgar. Not much gets me upset.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I use swear words to accentuate some part or meaning of a sentence. I think if they are over-used, they will lose this unique ability. "I really hate you" is nothing like "I smurfing hate you", so I cherish the taboo of swearing.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

my filter's awful...i just spew all kinds of vitriol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I don't see "hell" as all that offensive.

I curse more on the forum than I do in real life. Part of that is because of the funny swear filters. It makes everything with a swear sound comical.

I don't really have a problem with a dropped swear every now and then. But if you're one of those people who is saying a swear every other sentence for no reason (and when you're not ranting or angry) then I don't care for it. To me, it just sounds really unintelligent. If that's the only way you have of expressing yourself, I'm not sure I want to have a conversation with you. Go read a dictionary.
    Just because someone used curse words frequently doesn't mean they're stupid or ignorant all of the time :P As I stated, I live in New England, for whatever reason swearing is a generally accepted part of the language here. Same as we say wicked as in "that movie was wicked awesome" or pisser "well that was a pisser". It's just part of the "culture" here.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I don't see "hell" as all that offensive.

I curse more on the forum than I do in real life. Part of that is because of the funny swear filters. It makes everything with a swear sound comical.

I don't really have a problem with a dropped swear every now and then. But if you're one of those people who is saying a swear every other sentence for no reason (and when you're not ranting or angry) then I don't care for it. To me, it just sounds really unintelligent. If that's the only way you have of expressing yourself, I'm not sure I want to have a conversation with you. Go read a dictionary.
    Just because someone used curse words frequently doesn't mean they're stupid or ignorant all of the time :P As I stated, I live in New England, for whatever reason swearing is a generally accepted part of the language here. Same as we say wicked as in "that movie was wicked awesome" or pisser "well that was a pisser". It's just part of the "culture" here.
    And? Your point? I didn't say that people who curse often ARE unintelligent, just that they sound so. And that's not changing for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Well it'd be like me saying that people with southern accents all sound unintelligent because southern accents sound unintelligent

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Well it'd be like me saying that people with southern accents all sound unintelligent because southern accents sound unintelligent
    Actually, no, it wouldn't. You can't help your accent. That's completely determined on what region you grow up in. You choose to say 'smurf' every other sentence. It's something you control.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your colloquial language is completely determined by what region you grow up in. If you grow up in a place where swearing is considered normal, you will typically swear more because it's simply another word. Sure, you can put some effort in and not swear, but you can also put some effort in and use a different accent.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Flambard D'Quinceteth View Post
    Your colloquial language is completely determined by what region you grow up in. If you grow up in a place where swearing is considered normal, you will typically swear more because it's simply another word. Sure, you can put some effort in and not swear, but you can also put some effort in and use a different accent.
    This. Personally I have a Texan accent and I say "goddamn" and "trout ton" as unthinkingly as I say "fixin' tuh".

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well this is absurd. I can understand if she started throwing c-bombs around like confetti but... "hell"? Is this the 17th century?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Well this is absurd. I can understand if she started throwing c-bombs around like confetti but... "hell"? Is this the 17th century?
    I don't care if she went off on a holocaust denial rant dropping 'c-bomb's', withholding her diploma would still be absurd and unacceptable.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I disagree with the points that growing up in a certain way makes you use certain words. Encourages, yes. But Jess, you don't use goddamn a lot because you're from Texas. Same as Bert doesn't use smurf a lot because he's from Boston. It's something you choose.

Cursee words don't offend me, for the record. But I don't know why you guys care so much that I think people who talk like that sound like idiots. :P

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

But Jess, you don't use goddamn a lot because you're from Texas.
    And I don't speak with a Texan accent because I'm from Texas. I'm from Illinois, currently living in Texas. My family all have Midwestern accents! I developed my speech habits from my peers. Do you say the word "like" as a filler constantly? If you do, try to stop. Just try it. Go a whole two weeks. You can do it sure, but it'll be difficult. Curse words are just other filler words like "like".

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Regional influence is very much real. I grew up in Alberta and never used any British slang at all; since moving to the Maritimes, where the British influence is much stronger, I use bloody near enough to convince a Brit that I'm one of them. Watching British TV increases that, as it's additional exposure. The more you're exposed to a certain speech pattern, the more you emulate it unconsciously.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I'm not the least bit racist (I'm not) but I have taken to using the n-word very often on facebook. Why? because screw you, that's why.

There's really nothing that can be stated or written that is out of bounds for me. I'll even make jokes about topics that are very emotionally stressful to me. I think it's more effective than having all these taboos limiting your thoughts.