Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could kill one gaming franchise what would it be?

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Call of Duty definitely & I'd probably mercy kill Tekken because it hasn't been good in quite some time

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

People saying AssCreed are high as balls.

Zelda.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    You guys are getting very emotional with arguments using flowery words like economy and iteration.
    One doesn't need to be emotional to speak well.

Vivi, I'll only mention 2 things. 1) I have no clue what you're talking about with Assassin's Creed, as people have loved the series since it moved to annual releases, especially Brotherhood, which was the first to be released after a year. Now people are losing their minds over how awesome ACIII looks.
    First, people have loved AC since AC2 fixed just about everything AC was terrible at. The love for the series amongst reviewers and the general public has been steadily declining since then however because each game was only superficially different from the previous entry for the most part. Which makes sense when you consider they were off loaded onto other teams and turned around in much shorter amounts of time. The only reason people are excited about AC3 is because Ubisoft Montreal has been working on it for the past 3 years and it's actually looking like it could be a big step forward from the previous ones. If it was more of the same I'd imagine the reaction would be much different than it is right now, and I actually have to wonder if there would be even more excitement for it amongst most gamers if it was the game that was made after AC2 instead of the two that actually followed it.

2) You keep going on about CoD4 as if it's some kind of credibility-badge for you, when in reality I have to question what your relationship is to this series considering you said it looks better than FFXIII multiple time (you're blind).
    It's the last one I owned and played extensively. It's also the last time they really did anything to shake up the series and pretty much singlehandedly kicked off the last several years worth of everyone and their mother trying to cash in on it's success by making a Modern Warfare title. So yeah, excuse me if I mention it quite a bit since I know it very well and it pretty much singlehandedly changed the face of FPS titles in the current generation.

And it does look better than FFXIII because the art style in FFXIII likes to oscillate between mediocre and a god awful mess. Sorry if that offends you, but some of the people who worked on the monster and location designs, 3D models, and textures for FFXIII need to either be fired because they suck at their jobs or get some better medical benefits so they can afford to get their glaucoma fixed up because their eyes definitely don't work properly.

But just the previous game Black Ops introduced so much to the series. It was the first with theater mode, for players to record and share their games.
    So they introduced something which has no effect on the gameplay then.

It introduced Combat Training, for console players to play and host private games against bots to practice.
    I'm supposed to give it credit for private games and bots? Even on consoles these have existed in one form or another for over a decade.

It destroyed and rebuilt the unlock system, by implementing COD Points.
    I'll skip quoting the rest because most of it is either they changed how you unlock things which isn't really important as far as how the actual game is played within a match (beyond potentially changing your goals from winning the match to some other goal totally separate from that of the regular match to earn more points if I'm understanding you correctly). The rest amounts to do what other games and mods already did years before and iterate on the previous game to tweak balance and improve on things.

I'm not saying it didn't change things up with each successive entry. My point was that they aren't really innovating that much. The fact that your best arguments seem to amount to adding modes which already existed in other games and changing systems that already existed in previous COD titles really only serves to demonstrate that fact. Sure, they may be iterating from one year to the next and tweaking things, but they're not going to make another game changer by doing that, and when someone else does, they're going to be playing catch up.

So don't tell me about "easy money" because Treyarch probably puts more into their games than almost any other developer.
    Except innovation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Vivi, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. People loved Brotherhood and Revelations. The series has become more and more popular and Brotherhood has been lauded for its introduction of a unique multiplayer mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I'll skip quoting the rest because most of it is either they changed how you unlock things which isn't really important as far as how the actual game is played within a match (beyond potentially changing your goals from winning the match to some other goal totally separate from that of the regular match to earn more points if I'm understanding you correctly).
    But interactive maps do change how you play and win matches. The two maps I already mentioned closing off routes radically transforms your ability to complete objectives if they happen in the middle of a round. Another example is the random trains in WMD or the launch pads on Silo which muffle footsteps in the middle of intense Search and Destroy matches.

The wager matches have existed in different mods within niche communities, but this is largely the first time they've appeared on the disc of a mainstream shooter. And if you know a FPS that allows players to gamble currency for their equipment unlocks I would be delighted for you to tell me what it is.

Of course you wouldn't know about these things because you admitted you haven't played these games.

Except innovation.
    Their latest title is allowing players to livestream matches from their console to the internet. This is something that has, up until now, required expensive equipment to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post

This ! Assassin's Creed is still exciting, thrilling and fresh. I think Soul Calibur needs to start to die as well. Make Soul Calibur VI and end it.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

I think Soul Calibur needs to start to die as well.
    Agreed. Single player mode hasn't been good since I or II. The new features of every installment you can usually count on one hand.

I'm surprised Metal Gear Solid didn't get it's share of arguments. I used to think the series should die (mainly because I really didn't agree with the MGS4 spoilersuper happy ending they tried to pull off after everyone suffered more bullet wounds than one can count), but Ground Zeroes looks quite interesting.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just gonna say that Assassin's Creed is one of the finest examples of how yearly releases should be handled.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Madddeeeeeeeennnnnnnnn or Fifa.

And smurf yo all soul calibur should never die, even if I think the latest installment was pretty boring. I just want a better 6.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-05-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

I think Soul Calibur needs to start to die as well.
    Agreed. Single player mode hasn't been good since I or II. The new features of every installment you can usually count on one hand.

I'm surprised Metal Gear Solid didn't get it's share of arguments. I used to think the series should die (mainly because I really didn't agree with the MGS4 spoilersuper happy ending they tried to pull off after everyone suffered more bullet wounds than one can count), but Ground Zeroes looks quite interesting.
    Soul Caliber III's character design was fun. I made a Gay Hitler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

If I could kill one gaming franchise...

Does Shorty count as a gaming franchise?
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's my CK cohort you're talking about there. Tread carefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

And smurf yo all soul calibur should never die
    All good things must come to a end, otherwise they'll end up like the Simpsons.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The Final Fantasy XIII franchise.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Stop making Mana games that don't begin with "Secret of". My hopes always get up for the second coming of Christ and then I'm left disappointed and blowing dustbunnies out of the SNES.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

So regarding the Madden/FIFA comments: Why? Is it just because they churn out the same games each year? Because I kind of agree. EA should release the games every couple of years when they actually have updates and instead just allow for patching updated rosters. Simple.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.