Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Just the tip.

i tip well, at least I think so. 15-20% in a restaurant as long as you deserve it, more at bars and for people who do a personal service such as a barber. that's how i was raised so i'm not gonna change that

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

This thread continues to perplex me. I reject the idea that I should be forced to tip. If you rock up and give me troutty service then I should not feel entitled to give you any more money than you already receive from your boss who pays you from the money I spend there. But the concept of minimum tipping can only really exist in places where people feel compelled because staff are grossly underpaid. Nobody ever tips me for selling education well. Nobody ever tipped me for doing a smashing job as a referee. One guy tried to bribe me once but that's unethical. So I don't understand why tipping is necessary. Pay your workers real money and be done with it.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Minimum seems to vary by reason; around here conventional wisdom says 15% is base, so I go 5% higher as base, and more if there's a reason.

I tip a minimum 25% at the bar because I go there every week, usually on the same day of the week (work schedule permitting) so I almost always have the same bartender and I don't want them to micturate in my ale.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Nobody ever tipped me for doing a smashing job as a referee. One guy tried to bribe me once but that's unethical.
    Seriously? That's hilarious. I wish someone would try to bribe me.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's this picture I've seen a couple of times of a twenty in an upside-down water glass, but I can't find it.

How would some of you feel about this?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Tipping is weird. Why don't we just pay people the wages they're entitled to?
    Because AMERICA.
    Pretty much this.

It has it's ups and downs. If you get a bunch of nice customers you'll make more than your usual - but the flipside is also true.

When I worked in a restaurant in London we just got paid a flat wage and any tips went directly to the restaurant itself and more than likely into the managers pockets. We did get bonuses occassionally from head office if we had good quarters etc.

I had no idea how much tipping was a major thing in the US when I went over but generally used to just leave 15%-20% (depending on service/how much loose change we had etc) of the bill as a minimum.

Blog Entries

TWENTY. DOLLAR. MINIMUM.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    TWENTY. DOLLAR. MINIMUM.
    What is your angle here? To brag about your implied generosity, twice in the same thread? I'm going to find where you live, become a waiter, and prove that you're lying. I'll also covertly take a picture of your "perfect" belly (what does that even mean? from your pix you look like a beanpole) and beat you at Connect 4 without a computer next to you to tell you the next move. I guess it's easy to be a pathological liar on the internet.

15% is my minimum, generally speaking. If I was extremely please with the service, I can go up to 25%. However, now, I'm in China, where the concept doesn't exist and everything is cheap. I'm digging it, but I'm a bit afraid that I'll go back to the U.S. in a year and accidentally forget to leave a tip :aimx:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

do think its silly the ridiculously low amount that waiters make here (like $2.50ish) and I'm going to have to get used to tipping more because in Ontario they still make less than minimum wage ($8.75 as opposed to regular minimum wage which is $10.25) but still a decent amount. In fact in Ontario they make less than minimum wage but still more than the minimum wage I earn here which is like $7.50. I'm not happy about this. I get that you can make good money from tips which is why they make less but I still think earning that little should be illegal.

Anyways, what I used to do was either leave the change or round up. So for example, my bill was $20, I would leave $30. There's the tip. If my bill was $29 I would leave $40. In some cases it's cheap, in others it isn't. Unless the service was particularly good or bad I would leave more/less.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I have never been in the position to be tipped, but I am usually a good tipper. You have to REALLY screw up for me to give a bad tip. That has never happened before.

However, when I was really young, I was with my cousins and their girlfriends. They were being typical teenagers and thought it was cute to somewhat mess up the table and leave two pennies as a tip. I felt very uncomfortable with that, and just walked out ahead of them since I already put in my share of the bill (did not have enough to tip or I would have done something about it).

They later asked why I walked out, and I told them they were acting like dicks. My story awkwardly ends there.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The thing about working in the service industry is that these people are generally hired because they are experienced and good. There are usually two ways I see someone being a troutty server: 1) they are having an off day, 2) they are new and don't know what the smurf they're doing but are trying.

Either way, to deny them a tip that is typically expected just because they didn't provide top-tier service-to-the-Queen waiting on you is just plain kindof cruel. It is a part of American culture to tip. I guess I usually look at it that someone else is going to need four or so bucks more than I am, and it's probably going to ruin their day if I skip out on that.

Be nice and leave tips!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hate to be all Mr Pink, but smurf that, Shorty. xD

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I agree completely with what Shorty says.

And, (at least in American culture) if you can't tip, you shouldn't be going out to eat. If you don't have the money to leave $2-5 dollars YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE GOING OUT TO EAT. You should be factoring in your tip as part of your restaurant cost as soon as you walk through that door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    TWENTY. DOLLAR. MINIMUM.
    What is your angle here? To brag about your implied generosity, twice in the same thread? I'm going to find where you live, become a waiter, and prove that you're lying. I'll also covertly take a picture of your "perfect" belly (what does that even mean? from your pix you look like a beanpole) and beat you at Connect 4 without a computer next to you to tell you the next move. I guess it's easy to be a pathological liar on the internet.
    I don't think you quite understand what "bragging" is. We don't go out to eat often, and we have quite a bit of extra money. Why shouldn't we be generous tippers?

And I think a better question would be, what exactly is your angle here? How exactly do you benefit by calling me a liar? Are you trying to cover up jealousy? Do you need to belittle others to feel better about yourself? smurf off.

Also, Connect 4 is simple memorization of algorithms, it requires no more skill than Tic Tac Toe, solving a Rubiks Cube, or tying your goddamned shoes.

Don't attack my integrity.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้