Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Just the tip.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow, some of you seem cheap, but I don't know what the norm is in other places, so don't take that the wrong way. On the other hand, some of you seem very generous!

BBL, gonna finish my story.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

I'm in the back so I don't get tips

Actually they have some "tip-out", $30-$40 each month or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    do think its silly the ridiculously low amount that waiters make here (like $2.50ish) and I'm going to have to get used to tipping more because in Ontario they still make less than minimum wage ($8.75 as opposed to regular minimum wage which is $10.25) but still a decent amount. In fact in Ontario they make less than minimum wage.

I think the waitresses where I work make min. wage (the 10.25) while I was making min wage for 3 years ~,~
    Last edited by Jiro; 10-16-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I honestly think tipping out is wrong in most cases. Most cooks make extremely good money. In most restaurants they start at like $10 (min. wage here is 7.25) and get consistent raises because being a cook is really hard work.
    Yeah, I thought the same thing too but my boss even told the one girl before they make min wage($10.25), the same I was making until I threatened to quit
    There are only 2 cooks where I work plus my boss and his 76 yr dad...his dad actually helps out a lot too compared to him -.-

The waitresses don't get as many hours but on a good day they'd probably make $50-$100 (probably depends on the girl though because I don't think the newer ones we have now make as much). So pretty much they'd make the same in 5 hours that I made in a 9-12 hr day.

Yeah, cooks get busy. And it's important to be nice to the line. When you make a mistake on food, and you're friends and respectful of them, they will be a hell of a lot more inclined to help you out. But at the same time, waitresses work for their tips. And a lot of times in one night, a cook will still be making the same, or even more.

Yeah...when a mistake happens I try to let it slide, they pretty much do the same...ugh my boss gets so pissed off and yells so easily, pretty much everyone feels like quitting all the time lol.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I've decided i'm going to start tipping Sam for everything she does. Because she's super perfect at absolutely everything so she needs tips for it. Cause you know, she's amazing at doing everything. TIPS EVERYWHERE!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I've decided i'm going to start tipping Sam for everything she does. Because she's super perfect at absolutely everything so she needs tips for it. Cause you know, she's amazing at doing everything. TIPS EVERYWHERE!

Someone's being catty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pot, kettle, black. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-y Davidson View Post
    Pot, kettle, black. xD
    goddammit quin
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was told tip used to stand for, to insure promptness. That's my definition if someone should get a good tip usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Tipping is weird. Why don't we just pay people the wages they're entitled to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    This thread continues to perplex me. I reject the idea that I should be forced to tip. If you rock up and give me troutty service then I should not feel entitled to give you any more money than you already receive from your boss who pays you from the money I spend there. But the concept of minimum tipping can only really exist in places where people feel compelled because staff are grossly underpaid. Nobody ever tips me for selling education well. Nobody ever tipped me for doing a smashing job as a referee. One guy tried to bribe me once but that's unethical. So I don't understand why tipping is necessary. Pay your workers real money and be done with it.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    I was told tip used to stand for, to insure promptness. That's my definition if someone should get a good tip usually.
    Now by that definition the premise of tipping at the end for quality service is wrong, you should be tipping in advance of service received.

The only time I might throw a tip in advance in is if I'm chatting to a barmaid and say "oh throw one in for yourself" or something when ordering shots.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loathe the whole concept of tipping.

Especially based on percentages. Why should I pay MORE for service, because I ordered a steak, versus ordering a salad? It's still one plate. Is there something I'm missing here? If there was like a standard service fee, I would be fine paying it. It's just so weird to me that how much a server gets tipped is directly reflected, not in the service itself, but the cost of the items you're getting. Whyyyy??

Also, in California, everyone gets minimum wage. So the whole, making-up-for-less-than-minimum-wages-thing doesn't really apply.

It's so nice and easy to deal with bills while traveling in Europe or Asia. No need to fuss over 10% versus 15% versus 20%. Everything is just laid out for you, how much you're supposed to pay. You pay it and leave, done. I love that!

And why does the percentage keep going up? I remember when 15% was the standard and 20% was really generous. And now it's like 20-30% is the standard. WTF?

Plus, I really really really hate the fact that even when you get terrible service, you're still expected to leave SOMETHING. And societal pressure on this is so strong, that I have only skipped out on tip like twice in my entire life. Even though I've had plenty of bad experiences. It's like some bizarre compulsion to leave extra money, when I shouldn't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Either way, to deny them a tip that is typically expected just because they didn't provide top-tier service-to-the-Queen waiting on you is just plain kindof cruel. It is a part of American culture to tip. I guess I usually look at it that someone else is going to need four or so bucks more than I am, and it's probably going to ruin their day if I skip out on that.

Be nice and leave tips!
    But WHY? I seriously don't understand. I am nice. I'm also, I think, fairly generous with the money that I have. The thing with tipping is that logically, I can't comprehend it. I don't care about that extra couple bucks, honestly. But why exactly am I leaving extra money to people who are being paid already? Because they work hard? Because they don't get paid that much? Isn't that true for plenty of people, even if they don't work in the service industry typically associated with tipping?

I get tipped sometimes and it's baffling to me. I've tried rejecting tip before because I don't need it, I don't expect it, and I don't know why people would want to give me EXTRA money. It's so freakin' weird.
    Last edited by Miriel; 10-17-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Tigmafuzz View Post
    I am an excellent tipper I usually just leave $20 no matter how small the bill, but if it's over $100 I'll tip 20-25% of the total. Depending on service, of course

Sarah and I always have to eat out together, because I can't eat out in public alone and she can't tip because she was raised in a place where tipping is considered an insult :freak:
    Jeez are you a millionaire?

I usually tip with whatever change I have in my purse. Can be between £2-£3, that being said tipping is different in UK

I always give my hairdresser about £4 tip

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Now by that definition the premise of tipping at the end for quality service is wrong, you should be tipping in advance of service received.

The only time I might throw a tip in advance in is if I'm chatting to a barmaid and say "oh throw one in for yourself" or something when ordering shots.
    I always took it as "to insure promptness... again." So if the person was prompt, I will tip well, so they are prompt next time I am there.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post

I always took it as "to insure promptness... again." So if the person was prompt, I will tip well, so they are prompt next time I am there.
    That relies upon the waiting staff member or person you've tipped remembering you or even working there next time you swing by. As a former waiter I speak from experience when I say the odds of being remembered unless you go to the same place 2 - 3 times a week or for many, months or years on a consistent basis is pretty slim. Most people accept the tip and forget the customer's face before the customer has even left the building.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm a creature of habit that tends to go to the same places anyway a lot of times I actually do get recognized.
    Then there's the philosophical side that a good waiter or waitress will get a lot of good tips (ideally) to insure their continual promptness giving motivation to keep up their efforts.