Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the smurf is Brahne?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Brahne's one of many human victims of FFIX's committee of character designers. Like Amarant, she's got blue skin; like Steiner, her eyes have no irises. I reckon there were simply too many different artists involved in creating Gaia's population; it can't even manage a consistent idea of what counts as human. The only passable fanwank explanation I can concoct is the idea that there's been a lot of inter-species breeding in FFIX's world, leading to various traits being shared between races and nationalities over the years.
    Last edited by Big D; 10-15-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Irises, not pupils

not having read must analysis on the subject, I wouldn't read too much into it. It's just the design style. It's not realistic like FF8. Amano was the character designer, right? I guess they just had some fun with some of the characters I guess. Whatever. She's not the only one to look weird/cartoonish. Baku (sort of), Steiner, Zorn, and Thorn all look silly. But whatever I was cool with it. I need to play this again it's been a couple years.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love Amano's original character designs - they're in his distinctive style, and just as importantly the style's consistent. It's the final, in-game depictions that rankle me a little. I don't at all mind inhuman or demi-human character, or a cartoony style; FFIX just bugs me in the way it can't maintain a consistent look.

yea that's how I felt originally, but I got used to it eventually. I can't imagine Steiner looking different so I grew to accept it with him, and the other cartoony characters like Brahne, well she doesn't get enough screentime for it to continue to bother me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I love Amano's original character designs - they're in his distinctive style, and just as importantly the style's consistent. It's the final, in-game depictions that rankle me a little. I don't at all mind inhuman or demi-human character, or a cartoony style; FFIX just bugs me in the way it can't maintain a consistent look.
    I wasn't able to find any info on this. Do you have a link to the original artwork? I'd like to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    And according to Rantzien, she's somehow related to the Chestire cat...
    I don't remember whatever this is referring to, but it sounds entertaining. Link?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I wasn't able to find any info on this. Do you have a link to the original artwork? I'd like to see it.
    Amano's Brahne.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

BRAIN!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-y Davidson View Post
    Hmmm
    Anyone else think from that image that she was just meant to have a fat greedy rich stereotype look, and the game designers just took his artistic styling a little too literally?
    She looks pale there, but not necessarily blue, I think it's partly just how she looks against the bright red dress.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

She's pretty much human, and I'm sure she was probably better looking in her youth but even real life people can dramatically change, especially if they add 200ibs to their ass and start dressing like their starring in an elementary school production of Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen, you would look a little scary too.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    JUST WHAT THE smurf IS BRAHNE?
    A queen.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That's some powerful smurfing corruption.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.