Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two MMO's in the main series....slight rant/concern

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I wonder how long they will continue to keep up the Final Fantasy XI servers? I mean, ten years is a long time for any online game. What will they do when the subscription counts decline? Maybe they could make an offline version over a decade after fans first requested it.
    It's been steadily declining for a while now, but not rapidly. They will probably just keep merging servers until there's just a couple of servers left, and keep it alive just because it's a main series game and they don't want to kill it off just because of that.

If they stopped releasing new content updates and had just one single server, I can't imagining it costing them a significant amount of money to keep alive. Even if you still had GMs at that point, you'd probably just need something like two, one for EU/US timezones and one for japan, because of the low population the game would have.

I don't think a total player base of 5000-10000 people would have a problem paying for all that, and that would be less than 5% of what the player base is today.

Unless they completely destroy everything with the new expansion pack, I don't think the game is going to be shut down in the next five years, and it wouldn't surprise me if the game was still breathing even ten years from now, if just barely.

I think an offline version is unlikely, though. I think they'd be more likely to release the server software to the public, for fans to run it themselves, after the game is no longer profitable for them.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-22-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't understand why this is a complaint at all. Who cares what a FF game is called? They could literally release a game called Final Fantasy: Shiny Sphincter and we'd all buy it.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Of course we would. That title is too intriguing to pass up.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would support a Shiny Sphincter series. That's what FF needs right now.

Seriousness aside, I'm not sure how I could make it more simple for you people. Am I going to have to draw pictures before you actually understand? Don't care, not a complaint, I would list things differently. I don't understand why you lot interpret "I do things differently" as "WAHAHAHAA Y U NO DO MY WAY". smurfing hell, people.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    It's been ten years. It's time to get over this.
    It's worth pointing out that I wasn't overly bothered by having an MMO in the main series, it just wasn't my personal preference.

The point I was trying to get at in my original post was my slight concern for the inclusion of a second MMO in the main series, hence the reason I posted this in the XIV Forum. This wasn't a post ten years in the making I should have been more descriptive.

I just felt like pointing this out to show I had nothing to "get over"