Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Aerith effect

Default The Aerith effect

Has anybody else noticed that Aerith is only famous for being killed ? Nobody really mentions how much of a impact she made on the gaming world and Final Fantasy while she was alive. She's basically famous for being stabbed in the back by Seph.

And that's it.

Could be worse. Tifa is only famous for having giant boobs.

None of the girls are famous for the right reasons.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Her death was thematically important but was unnecessary. She'd summoned Holy and at that very moment chose to screw over every single player who'd used her. Not bad.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Her death was thematically important but was unnecessary. She'd summoned Holy and at that very moment chose to screw over every single player who'd used her. Not bad.
    So she was a Troll before Trolling became poplaur ?

Oh Aerith you little Hipster you !

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    So she was a Troll before Trolling became poplaur ?

Oh Aerith you little Hipster you !

"Oh hey guys! I'm totally an awesome character. Look at my amazing limit breaks and magic stats!"

*Dies*

Oh damn it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I never felt she added much to the game. Her whole purpose was to die. It's apparent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Her purpose was to be a hugely overpowered White Mage. If she hadn't died, she would likely feature on many people's "Best FFVII Team" and would be known for that.

Also, in what way is having a massive impact on gamers and gaming as a whole not "the right reason"? Nobody talks about Vincent because he had no impact on the gaming world, nobody talks about Amarant for the same reason. Most characters from most FF games don't get talked about because they never affected anything. Aerith gets talked about because she did.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I thought here death was part of the process necessary to summon holy. It is mentioned that holy will be summoned when a soul seeking it reaches the planet. That seems kind of like a reference to death to me. That and they all would have been f***ed if she didn't die because Holy proved useless.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    Her purpose was to be a hugely overpowered White Mage. If she hadn't died, she would likely feature on many people's "Best FFVII Team" and would be known for that.

Also, in what way is having a massive impact on gamers and gaming as a whole not "the right reason"? Nobody talks about Vincent because he had no impact on the gaming world, nobody talks about Amarant for the same reason. Most characters from most FF games don't get talked about because they never affected anything. Aerith gets talked about because she did.
    Vincent got his own game and got a good showing in Advent Children. It's the only game I remember where the joint least important character (besides Yuffie) ends up getting more popular afterwards

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I dunno, man. Yuffie's pretty popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

His games, much like his character, had no impact on FF or gaming as a whole. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aeris was also important to the story because of the Gold Saucer date. This was an example of real player choice in a JRPG, where over the course of a game, a player's dialogue options eventually culminated in a scene that could be quite different. It also had an impact on the romantic situation of the rest of the game. If Aeris goes on the date, the rest of Cloud and Tifa's relationship looks like that of close friends. If Tifa was on the date, it seems like much more.

That was one of the beauties of FFVII's writing. Cloud and Tifa's relationship was sufficiently ambiguous to seem differently in the player's minds depending on the choices they made up to that point.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post

Vincent got his own game and got a good showing in Advent Children. It's the only game I remember where the joint least important character (besides Yuffie) ends up getting more popular afterwards
    I'm pretty sure Vincents game only made him less popular...
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

A lot of people forget that killing the cute character was very unexpected at the time. Many times Square has said that if any character were to die had they gone the usual character death route, Barrett would have been the way to go. All that was going on was Square trying to subvert a trope, and for it's time they accomplished that with flying colors, obviously.

Still should have been optional. Dialogue choices could have resulted in either Aeris dying or (GASP) NO ONE DYING!

Personally, I liked Vincent better for the sequels than the original.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I never felt she added much to the game. Her whole purpose was to die. It's apparent.
    Agree. It seems like Aerith's job was to only make a emotional impact on the player and then die. She was designed to be the sweet, innocent but courageous Flower Girl that got sadly murdered. So Sephiroth could look more evil and make the player emotional and keep playing forward to CD 2.

Because nobody really mentions or raves about what impact she made while she was alive.