Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For me?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I get embarrassed receiving gifts, especially if more than one person is watching me open them.
    this me also. grammar

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do that "Oh, you shouldn't have" shtick, but I usually accept it. I think it's rude to reject gifts, and it can be just plain mean.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

No. I have no issue receiving gifts. I also have no problems giving them out. The way I see it, everybody repays each other eventually, so why bother wasting time with the "oh you shouldn't have gosh" crap when you can just say "thanks, I really appreciate it" and continue having a good life.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I get embarrassed receiving gifts, especially if more than one person is watching me open them.
    this.

also, I feel bad when people go out of their way to give me a really nice gift and then tell me not to worry about repaying them. It's like an unpaid debt to me and I just feel awful

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Giving gifts is almost always more fun than receiving gifts. I love seeing people's reactions to the gifts I give.

Here's a quote from the book Tell The Wolves I'm Home that pretty accurately describes how I sometimes feel when I'm on the receiving end of a gift.

"Opening a present from a live person was scary enough. There was always the chance that the gift might be so wrong, so completely not the kind of thing you liked, that you’d realize they didn’t really know you at all."
    Last edited by Miriel; 10-25-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I usually feel like I'm not deserving of gifts and always feel bad.

I mean I'm immensely grateful but I always have an overwhelming sense of guilt that I'm not worthy of said gifts either. I wonder if that's a knock-on of my "don't rely on anyone but yourself" / "if you want something done do it yourself" upbringing.

I hate buying gifts and I am bad at buying gifts.

I have all sorts of guilt issues relating to Christmas and birthdays where I have received amazing gifts and given awful ones in return and now it's reached complex-level and I am filled with anxiety at the thought of buying gifts and the festive period is now a living hell for me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    I hate buying gifts and I am bad at buying gifts.

I have all sorts of guilt issues relating to Christmas and birthdays where I have received amazing gifts and given awful ones in return and now it's reached complex-level and I am filled with anxiety at the thought of buying gifts and the festive period is now a living hell for me
    This this this 1000 times this
    I'm already stressing about Christmas

Receiving gifts (from anyone except my parents, who just would rather hand me down older tech than mess around with eBay) then makes me feel that it's polite to reciprocate, and because I'm useless at buying gifts for people it causes me a lot of worry. I'd take it and be thankful of course, no question... the reason for my anxiety is worry that they wouldn't like what I finally manage to find for them, so why would I inflict that on anyone else? But I can't deny that it'd be privately rather stressful.

I never give gifts on impulse, partly because I have a habit of assuming that others are like me and would stress out and feel that they have to get me something back (if I did get someone something randomly, I'd probably end up in the embarrassing situation of TELLING them that they don't have to reciprocate, heh) and partly because I just don't think of it. I have to be in an "I need to find a gift for x" mode to even think about it. (I guess I don't think about others enough )

I think it could be a sweet thing to do at random, but I'm in that old fashioned minority who would think it's nice to randomly pluck a flower out of the ground and give it to someone or something like that, rather than buying things. I'm not tight with money, but most would probably assume so.
    Last edited by Cloudane; 10-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tip for people who are bad at buying presents: Make something yourself. It would take a magnificent to trout all over a present that you obviously put effort into making. Even if it is a rubbish present, they still won't act disappointed and you won't feel guilty! Yey!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    Tip for people who are bad at buying presents: Make something yourself. It would take a magnificent to trout all over a present that you obviously put effort into making. Even if it is a rubbish present, they still won't act disappointed and you won't feel guilty! Yey!

Yeah,...crafts are always fun to make....my one brother would probably complain if I gave him one though

I've always made the cards to give to people too...much better than spending $3+ on a card (I think elderly people especially love things like this too)

Only thing is it gets a bit annoying when a bunch of people buy you chocolate...usually just some fake sugary stuff that's going to murder your system.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

I like getting people random little gifts all the time. I got my housemate, who is in love with spiderman, a spiderman advent calendar (which she's already eaten), I've also bought her numerous dinosaur and wild animal sticker books off the market, because she really loves things like that. I got for another friend a signed picture from chris (simpson's artist) which is currently on her wall. They're not the kind of gifts which can be repaid, which are my favourite, I don't give to receive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm grateful when people give me things. If they are poorer than I am in any way I may on occasion feel guilty, but it's entirely down to individual situations. In general, though, yeah, I don't feel guilty.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Why would anyone feel embarrassed about receiving a gift? That being said, I prefer to give rather than receive. OO