Thread: Working overtime... from home

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default Working overtime... from home

Because of the hurricane, I missed two days of work, which means I am way behind in helping prepare for a big trial on Monday. So I brought some work home with me (despite the fact that I'm not actually getting paid for this).

So do you ever have to bring work home, or work overtime in general? Do you work from home at all?

Blog Entries

Bring work home? Then I would have to take some patients with me home. Not entirely ethical, unless they're cute.

No effin' way. I'm lucky like that. It'd be sweet to work from home sometimes which I may do if I get one of the jobs out of Toronto, but my current keeps me around the office. Luckily the load is never such that I CAN really take it home.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to have to work from home allll the time. The office would forward their phones to my cell phone and I'd have to pull up our network on my laptop.

I don't work there anymore!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am now a teacher. I don't get a choice. For every hour I get paid, I work another half hour at home xD.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Work from home, no, unless you count the books I write. In which case yes, always!

Overtime I get on rare occasion. I remember back before the recession when the places I worked at would hand out overtime like candy. Not so much anymore

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

My entire job is working from home right now as a contractor working on online components to textbooks. I've only been doing it for two months now, and I can confidently say that it is the most miserable work experience of my life.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

My job can be done romotely so we can work from home if we can't get into the office. With that said, I don't work overtime.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I have to physically be there to perform the duties at my job (QA), so I don't have to work about adult homework. If there was some robot I could control from home, I totally would be down for that!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have access to my work computer from anywhere I have an internet connection. I try not to work off-hours from home much, but I manage a whole department now so it is unavoidable sometimes. Some days I work from home and those days are fun since I get to sit around in my jammies.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I'll stay late at work an extra hour or so once or twice a week to get caught up on grunt work. I usually work one Saturday a quarter and I'm the only person there so I take full advantage and roll up there in pajamas/gym shorts and blast music from my desk all day.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I work in a call center so no I never take my work home with me, it comes the end of my shift and my phone gets logged out and my pc gets rebooted done and dusted til my next shift. I don't even have to think about work until then aside from "what time am I in tomorrow?" which 9 in 10 times is the same time as that day or not at all.

That being said I do work a fair bit of O/T mostly because since I started a couple of months back and then moved to the phones I got offered it once and worked a 10 hour shift to earn some cash despite only having completed my training a few days ago. Now I'm one of the managers preferred O/T agents since I can go in get on with it and only rarely need assistance. In fact I'm one of the first people to get offered extra time by management, normally Caroline will come over and ask me. This weekend for example she managed to chat me up enough to get me to agree to 22 hours extra work over 2 days. Now, whilst I might be crazy and I might also regret these hours, it's the last possibility to do O/T for the foreseeable future.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I don't tend to, but my work is reasonably flexible on where I work. Most of the people in my office work from home on Fridays, so I'm usually one of the few people in. I don't tend to take work home with me, but I did yesterday. I was on a site visit for most (but not all) of the day and it was reasonably close to home, so I did an hour or so further at home afterwards. I try not to take my work home though.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've only had retail jobs or some sort of customer service based work, there's no way I can take work home.

Which is good because smurf that.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

They changed our overtime criteria at uni so we rarely get paid extra. I'm usually too efficient to even work to the allotted time

My internship forced me to work overtime nearly every day. Wasn't getting paid at all anyway. Feels bad man.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.