Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite video game side quests?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Boco Your favorite video game side quests?

I'm a big fan of the side quests in Chrono Trigger. Going back and forth through time in order to change things was very interesting! I liked leaving Robo in the past only to come back to the present and find the world map had a full forest where a desert used to be. I also liked seeing Cyrus' ghost, which was a great part of the game for Frog's storyline.

What video games do you think had great side quests, and what did you have to do?

FFTA2.

The entire game is pretty much sidequests, and they all rock. Sure, the main story sucks. But the rest of the game? Awesome sidequests.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I liked how getting knights of the round was this epic tour de force where chocobos had never been more important in FF.

Valkyria Chronicles II set them up in a cool way where if you used a character enough you would unlock scenes with them and eventually a sidequest that gave them an important character arc. That,s a big reason why the game was so good and expanded on the original.

If you choose the chaotic story path in Tactics Ogre's psp version there's a pretty sad and intense side story having to do with necromancy and explores why someone would do it. You get an awesome character and someone pretty important who dies along the story for that alignment path comes back zombified and its pretty hard hitting considering what your choices were to get to that point. I went lawful this time and that character's still alive but I'm still hummed I wont see it again.

White Knight Chronicles had a disappointing scenario but the multiplayer sidequests were pretty awesome.

I guess (begrudgingly) that's you have to bring up FFVI in conversations like this. That game had some of the best dungeons in the seriesi could really take my pick with about a half dozen of them that were awesome.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fallout 1 and 2 deserve a lot of praise in this regard. In both there's a big main quest, and in both there's a vast array of side-quests in most locations. What's special is that not only does everywhere have their own mini-stories but to what extent it helps your own greater personal quest is very well handled. Sometimes you'll get your regular quest rewards and stuff, but absolutely nothing that helps with the main quest. Sometimes you'll get a hint on where to look. Sometimes you'll get something really important (though you might not know this until later). I'm failing to explain it well but basically it's all really well and believably handled with a great mix of tying into your main quest in a variety of ways.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Borderlands (2) has awesome side quests. :3 I think I've maybe managed through like 5 or so actual story missions in Borderlands 2, the rest of the time has just been pissing around doing other stuff. Infinite fun.

Blog Entries

Catching/raising/racing/breeding Chocobos -> KoTR. In my experience, every replay of FFVII is motivated by the desire to do this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Borderlands (2) has awesome side quests. :3 I think I've maybe managed through like 5 or so actual story missions in Borderlands 2, the rest of the time has just been pissing around doing other stuff. Infinite fun.
    My favorite was Jack giving you a quest to Kill yourself. XD

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Shutting down operations at the Genocide Dome in Chrono Trigger.

Xenoblade had a series of Side quests that stretched from close to the beginning to near end game centering around an illegal drug running operation. It was glorious.

Articles

the KOtRT "side quest" also had those other special materia's you could get by getting the river & mountain chocobo's. On top of the breeding & racing aspects.
    It really was just an awesome sidequest.

SO3 battle arena was fun, all those unique monsters & fights. Might be the best version of an arena.

If you consider optional characters "side quests" I would say SO2.

FF8's triple triad was fun in the mental challenge of it, but do minigames count?

I know there are a number of smaller ones that I can't put my finger on, things like ff6 lovers' letters quest etc...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

CHOCOBO HOT AND COLD
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

I agree with everything said about Chrono Trigger

Also I loved the seemingly simple quests in Skyrim that lead onto insane whacky adventures like the buy me a drink quest at or find my dog quest.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Chrono Trigger is a great example, obviously, as is Final Fantasy VI. Pretty much the whole second half of the game is side quests.

The Mass Effect games also have really good side quests.

I like older games where the side quests actually made you do unique stuff rather than just 'talk to this person', 'kill x of this monster', 'bring me this item'.

Probably my favorite side quest ever is the trading game in Link's Awakening.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    Also I loved the seemingly simple quests in Skyrim that lead onto insane whacky adventures like the buy me a drink quest at or find my dog quest.
    Yeah, Skyrim needs to be on here not just for this but also just for the sheer number of them. So easy to grind all the side quests and never touch the story at all before getting bored. /speakingfromexperience

My favorite was probably the one where you get drunk with someone at one of the bars and blackout. When you wake up you need to go back and fix all the trout you did. lol.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chrono Trigger and FFVI obviously have great sidequests as already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Futan View Post
    My favorite was probably the one where you get drunk with someone at one of the bars and blackout. When you wake up you need to go back and fix all the trout you did. lol.
    Easily one of the coolest quests in the game.