Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games for a first time Wii owner?

Blog Entries

Let's see.

MadWorld (if you hate violent games, this one's not for you. But it's pretty cool)
    Arc Rise Fantasia
    Rune Factory: Frontier (I freaking LOVE this game)
    Zack & Wiki
    Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    The Last Story
    Spyborgs
    Rayman Origins
    Trauma Team
    Resident Evil 4 (best version of RE4 available)
    Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
    Monster Hunter 3 (although I don't think you can play online on it anymore)
    Klonoa
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Both No More Heroes games
    Okami
    Kirby Collection
    House of the Dead: Overkill
    Res Steel 2
    Mario Kart Wii
    Mario Tennis
    Kirby: Return to Dream Land
    Super Paper Mario
    Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes

I honestly cannot recommend Xenoblade Chronicles myself. I smurfing hated it, but everyone else and their mom seems to have liked it so try it too, I suppose.

Here's some cool Gamecube stuff too (I don't know if you got a regular Wii or the Family Edition that can't play GC stuff):

Gotcha Force
    Tales of Symphonia
    Sonic Gems Collection
    Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
    PK: Out of the Shadows
    Cubivore
    F-Zero GX

Also, I highly recommend the Phoenix Wright games if you are able to use your Wii online and have never played them before. They have them on the Nintendo e-shop or whatever it's called. They only have up to Trials and Tribulations, though (the 3rd game).
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Kirby's Epic Yarn pretty good too. :3

I enjoyed playing Epic Mickey, but I'm not sure whether I'd actually recommend or not. xD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Oh! I cannot believe I forgot this! This is a beautiful sidescrolling brawler with RPG elements, and is absolutely worth your time. I have to murder the guy I lent this to, whose ex then ran off and sold all of his belongings.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Hell, it works with the wiimote/nunchuck? Dude at the Exchange lied.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My absolute favorite game for the Wii is probably Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon. The combat is pretty clunky, and the game has a bit too much backtracking in it. However, the story, characters, and world all really pulled me into the game. It is also pretty beautiful to look at at times. Due to the clunky gameplay and sometimes archaic design choices, I can see why people may not enjoy the game. I love it though.

I'll second Little King Story. That game has provided many hours of entertainment for me.

I have yet to play Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade, Last Story, or Skyward Swords; but those would all be pretty solid choices.

On the downloadable front, World of Goo is a fun puzzle game if you are into those. I also really like LostWinds, which is a pretty relaxing game.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I don't have my Wii with me, and it has been a long time since I've played. I'm sure I am missing something on my list of games you should look up for Wii.

Blog Entries

Sin and Punishment 2 is a really good game if you're into sh'mups, but the story is pretty dreadful.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a really great 3D platformer. So is SMG1, but I feel like the second game basically improves on everything.

For 2D platforming, Donkey Kong Country Returns is a really enjoyable game. It has co-op, too!

For RPGs, I have to echo the above posts on Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. They're both really good. If you have to choose between the two, I would prefer Xenoblade, but The Last Story was directed by Sakaguchi and has music by Uematsu. This being an FF forum, maybe you'd prefer that? :P

Zelda: Skyward Sword is really good if you have a motion+, but some people really like it while others seem to strongly dislike it without a real middle point. You seem to like Zelda games though, so, you should check it out!

When it comes to fighting games, erm, there aren't really any good exclusives besides Brawl. You could check out Project M pretty easily if you enjoyed Melee, though. My favorite fighting game to play on the Wii is Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (Long name), but it's not an exclusive. (Edit: Oh yeah, Tasunoko Vs. Capcom is pretty epic!)

Resident Evil Archives is pretty nice to have if you didn't have the RE remake on Gamecube. Also, Darkside Chronicles is a really fun on-rails shooter. (Beware shaky cam.)

Monster Hunter 3 is a fun online RPG. It focuses a lot on finding the right materials to create equipment, so if you dislike grinding, it may be better to stay away.

Konami's ReBirth series on the Wii Store is pretty decent. Castlevania, Contra, and Gradius are featured. Also, Maboshi's Arcade is pretty addicting wiiware title.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment! :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Madonna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polnareff View Post
    Oh! I cannot believe I forgot this! This is a beautiful sidescrolling brawler with RPG elements, and is absolutely worth your time. I have to murder the guy I lent this to, whose ex then ran off and sold all of his belongings.
    There's supposed to be an HD version coming to XBLA/PSN soon, unless it got cancelled.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Twilight Princess if you've never played it. Paper Mario: TTYD. If you've never played Resident Evil 4 pick up the Wii version. Same for Okami.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Just research your favorite type of games. Look on GameFAQs and see what is in the top ten. Then research the games that fit the genre you like on Wikipedia. Make your own decision. You can read opinions of other people on games until you are read in the face, but the only way you will get a console game that you will actually enjoy is to put a little time in discovering what you like yourself.

That said, there are solid opinions in this thread. But dumping a huge list of games, even if they are all great, isn't really going to show a clear picture of what games one should play.

Just my two gil. I said that joke because I am on a Final Fantasy forum.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Mario Galaxy 2 is probably the best game for Wii. Followed by either Xenoblade Chronicles or Twilight Princess.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is a great platformer if you liked the older DKC games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I would suggest:

-Mario Kart Wii
    -New Super Mario Bros. Wii and 2
    -Sonic Colors
    -Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
    -No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
    -Monster Hunters

Not to mention you can also download games from previous consoles so consider other games as well.

If you're going to get Mario Kart Wii then I highly recommend getting the steering wheel that you put on the controller. It seems stupid at first but it actually improves your game play.
    If you're not really into racing games but still like speed then I recommend Sonic Colors. It's really fun and I recommend playing the game with either the nun chuck or the gamecube controller. Out of those two I recommend the gamecube controller for the best control. The game is awesome, though, since it works with every controller for the Wii.