Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony ceases production of PlayStation 2 in Japan

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Sony ceases production of PlayStation 2 in Japan

After thirteen years - seriously, thirteen - Sony has announced that the existing stocks of PlayStation 2s in stores are the last ones that are being manufactured, and no more will be on the way.

PlayStation 2 shipments in Japan finally stopped by Sony | Gamechup | Video Game News, Reviews, Features, Guides

Sony has told the Japanese retailers that once the current stock of PlayStation 2 consoles are over, they won’t be replenishing it.

This effectively means that Sony has discontinued the system and are just waiting for the stocks to sell out. This is happening in a lot of countries and when you think the console has been around for almost 12 years selling 150 million units and giving us incredible franchises, it’s hard not to get overwhelmed by strong emotion.

The console was released in March 4, 2000 in Japan, and the stocks will probably get over in the same month in 2013. So that brings us to a shelf life of 13 years. I’m really struggling to think of an electronic device that has survived for so long.

Third-party developers stopped making software for it a couple of years back, and whatever software that you still see are being made by local developers in specific countries like India and Brazil where the console is still popular.
    Not even the Game Boy comes close to the PS2's sales, and I'm not sure anything except perhaps the PC hits the PS2's library. Given the average age of folks on this forum I expect we're almost all familiar with the PS2 and have a lot of fond memories. Games like FFX, the GTA 3 series, God of War, Okami, SSX, Ico and SotC, Burnout, Soul Calibur 2, Ratchet and Clank, TimeSplitters, Viewtiful Joe, MGS3, and on and on holy crap the thing had over ten thousand titles, not counting PS1 games which was a pretty amazing lineup in itself. I know I spent so, so many hours of my teenage years in front of that box and they were hours well spent indeed.

Let's reminisce a little. Oh, and if you're worried, don't be - emulation is alive and well and there doesn't seem to be much risk of losing the ability to play PS2 games. Still, I'm tempted to get a console to supplement my existing ones (I've got both a NA and UK PS2) just to keep it around.

That all said, the thing only launched in 2008 in Brazil and still does well in markets like that and India, so the console will still be made for places like that.

Still, RIP in peace.

I think that of all the consoles I've ever owned, I had the most fun with my PS2. So long, you magnanimous piece of hardware.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

But what will Iraq use to control their weapons of mass destruction now?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm surprised it was still being made at all.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    The Nintendo Wii.

I'm not saying "goodbye " to the PS2 because even though they will stop making games for it, doesn't mean it's going to leave us. Though while in production it has had a excellent run.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well this seals it, definitely have to replace my broken one now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    The Nintendo Wii.
    I hope to Allah they use the Motionplus controllers though. Targeting infidel hideouts with the old controller is erratic at best.

EDIT: I loved my PS2 until it succumbed to water damage during my FFXII playthrough in 2009. In fact, it will be the four-year anniversary of her death next month. Her name was Connie.
    Last edited by Bubba; 12-29-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Defiantly my favorite console.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Goodnight, sweet prince.

So many amazing games on this console... and it survived two console generations. Amazing piece of work. Sony will have to work hard to make anything even remotely as successful.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Had my baby since 2001 and it still works. Fantastic piece of kit.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Defiantly my favorite console.
    I admire your defiance.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

PS2 and Gamecube, so many fond memories.

Never had an XBOX back then due to my irrational hatred toward Microsoft making a console. Ironically now the 360 is the only console I play...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think there's only one appropriate image for this moment:

The OP article is a little inaccurate, a few big third party sports titles were released this year and the latest FFXI expansion will be released for it in 2013, if only in Japan. But I'm wondering does this mean an end to production in North America? I can't seem to find any confirmation of this, and I've seen new units stocked in my local Wal Mart.

In any case, it is pretty insane that after having survived two console generations and three handheld generations, people are still finding reasons to plug the thing in. I myself just bought Square's Radiata Stories not too long ago for a few bucks and I'm looking forward to popping it in the tray in the near future. I think that will be its enduring legacy, that there's tons of stores out there stocked with bins that, no matter your taste, will have at least 8 or so masterpieces, classics, and just overall great games that you can buy for $5-10.

As far as the thing's enduring legacy... well, I've already said that it has an especially long line of great titles across all interests. But to me, FFVII-IX was probably the greatest trilogy of games I've ever played, there were some missed opportunities on the PS2 with Square, and when you throw FFT in the mix along with the other genres, I think the original PlayStation may be my personal favorite console of all time. Regardless, the PS2 was another chapter in the impressive library of titles Sony has amassed, and I enjoy playing them throughout each hardware iteration.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I remember fondly the day my 13 year old self bought my PS2, bundled with MGS2 and GTA3. Amazingly after the many many hours of play it has given me over the years it still works. It's sat in a box upstairs in my bedroom & occasionally I still play it. I honestly don't think there will ever be a games console I enjoy quite as much.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Hahaha, I remember that news story too.

I probably had more fun times with my PS2 than all the other consoles I've ever owned combined. Thirteen years is a damn good run, and good on Sony for supporting their hardware for so long and not ditching it overnight.

Thanks for the memories, old friend. See you on the other side.
    I like Kung-Fu.