Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cool Family Trivia!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Default Cool Family Trivia!

In my spare time, I like to look up my family tree and see where I came from. It is rather interesting the things you learn. Anyways, for a long time I had no idea where my family name, Noble, came from. While vacationing at my parents, with my dad's help, I manage to find out at least when the first "Noble" (that I am related to anyways) arrived in Canada. Apparently this dude was an American, specifically a Loyalist from Maryland. I found that pretty interesting. He fought in the American Revolution, albeit on the losing side and eventually granted lands in New Brunswick. Sadly, I still haven't gotten more about that side of the family, though I am told of the "Noble" lineages ours is of the Scottish variety. Anyways, it is hard to trace back in records when people didn't keep too many of them yet. :/

Anyways, what fun facts about your family's history do you want to share?

Articles
    Blog Entries

While I'd love to be a part of this discussion SoL, I think yesterday's revelations haven't quite sunk in yet. Possibly never. Yeah.

Big Family Revelation

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm related to Earl Grey and Ridley Scott.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm directly descended from William the Conqueror and Charlemagne. This is why I'm so good at strategy games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm descended from Louis XIV, one of the kings of France.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Now guy, I might just be wrong on this, but, I'm fairly certain SoL was probably expecting sensible answers

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Every human in Europe is descended from Charlemagne. That's why we're so tall and handsome.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

My ancestors on my father's side are pretty cool. Only looking five generations back there are maybe five or six ancestors awesome enough to have full-length Wikipedia pages (many more if you include Swedish Wikipedia) about them. One Nobel prize winner.

My last name is also a noble name because the family in Germany I originated from many generations back were apparently influential or something.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Apparently I'm related to Strauss. According to my grandmother he's her great uncle or uncle. She's a crazy old bag though so it's rather unlikely but she's told me numerous times. I'll have to dig up the family trees later to find anything interesting.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    In my spare time, I like to look up my family tree and see where I came from. It is rather interesting the things you learn. Anyways, for a long time I had no idea where my family name, Noble, came from. While vacationing at my parents, with my dad's help, I manage to find out at least when the first "Noble" (that I am related to anyways) arrived in Canada. Apparently this dude was an American, specifically a Loyalist from Maryland. I found that pretty interesting. He fought in the American Revolution, albeit on the losing side and eventually granted lands in New Brunswick. Sadly, I still haven't gotten more about that side of the family, though I am told of the "Noble" lineages ours is of the Scottish variety. Anyways, it is hard to trace back in records when people didn't keep too many of them yet. :/

Any relation to Donna?

Also, I'm related to Sir Thomas Wyatt and Anne Boleyn.

(SPOILER) This is legitimate, Formalhaut. My maternal family are the Wyatts, we have relatives in England, and the line can be traced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Somebody in my family dug up our family tree dating back to the late 1600s iirc. Pretty much every man in the family spent their life in the army (all the way up to my father), and I'm the first in hundreds of years to break the chain. Feels awkward man.

We came across some interesting things. There was a letter from some army major who was big buds with my great great great grandad (approx) about recommendation for an officer commission (big thing in those days). He probably got shot by the evil yanks in the War of Independence.

There was another bloke who got a medal for 'conspicuous gallantry' in World War I. He was sent out of the trenches into no man's land with a pair of binoculars, a phone, and a very long, rolled up phone cord. He had to leg it to a crater in the ground, pop his head out, and gauge how far away the enemy trench was (and if the shells were landing in the right places), then call back. We tried to figure out what happened to him, and whether the medal was still around, before finding out that he ended up dying alone after splitting with his wife and had to sell the medal to pay bills or something semper fi

(That feel when you're european and have history)

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

Apparently the Blake side of my family is supposed to be descendants of one of the knights of the round table.

The Howe family which is my surname, comes form so place in England and is derived from some old Norse word fond man made hill or some trout.
    Last edited by escobert; 01-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

A long, long time ago, everyone would wander around aimlessly. Sometimes, they would break their legs or something and be forced to settle down, so they would build villages for these people to stay in while the rest of the aimless wanderers would bring food to them to trade in exchange for unspeakable things. Eventually, everyone got tired of wandering around but didn't want to have to travel for miles between villages to do their unspeakable things, and it was around that time that my ancestor, Mr. Towns, declared that numerous larger villages should be created to accommodate everyone. These large villages would then be named after my ancestor, becoming 'towns'. This all happened around the 12th century. There were medium sized villages before then, but not as large as towns were. Those were called 'tuns' at that time, so don't get the two confused.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    While I'd love to be a part of this discussion SoL, I think yesterday's revelations haven't quite sunk in yet. Possibly never. Yeah.

Big Family Revelation
    Sowwy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post

Any relation to Donna?

Also, I'm related to Sir Thomas Wyatt and Anne Boleyn.

(SPOILER) This is legitimate, Formalhaut. My maternal family are the Wyatts, we have relatives in England, and the line can be traced.
    Who is Donna?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have absolutely no interest in my family's geneology because my grandmother tried to shove it down my throat when I was younger researching names for mormon baptisms for the dead.

Though I did learn I was the descendent of a Cherokee princess and that I have Blackfoot indian in me.

edit: I also have an older brother I've never met.