Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If this game had've been on the PS2

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default If this game had've been on the PS2

I've heard it brought up a lot lately that this game would've been better and done more had it been released on the PS2. This point has been dropped quite a bit in the Criticize thread, and I wanted to know:

How would this game have been better/different had it been on the PS2?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The game's resolution would have been high enough to properly display all the details put into the textures and models, the loading times would have been lower, and the CG videos wouldn't have had such a huge amount of compression. That's about it, I guess.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

The graphics of FFIX (and, honestly, FFVIII) pushed the PSX beyond its limits. They tried to include too many polygons and too much detail. The system couldn't handle it, and as a result they look pixellated as hell (and, for something so stylized, that's a very bad thing).

Putting on the PS2 would have fixed this trouble. Everything from the locations to the characters would have looked so much better.

Then too, it would have resulted in smoother gameplay and no disc swapping.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

I honestly would rather have it on on PSX than the PS2. I liked it's clunkiness. I DUNNO WHY.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I always wondered if the art style would've had to change. I don't think it'd be the same game if it had been in the style of FFX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Personally I always thought disc swapping was an integral part of the PSX experience - a limitation that they played to their advantage in terms of the story. You had those milestone end of disc moments to aim for - dramatic cliffhanger moments have never been the same since.

Also in all honesty I thought VIII looked a lot worse graphically than IX did - IX was at least stylised in such a way that the graphical constraints of the system weren't as evident. Then again I was playing on a tiny TV back then too so the imperfections of playing on a larger screen were lost on me.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's unlikely that it would've changed. I read that releasing FFIX on the PSX was a conscious decision made for the sake of placing a milestone.

As has been said, the graphics would have been better and it would look a hell of a lot better on modern TVs, plus the lower loading times.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I always wondered if the art style would've had to change. I don't think it'd be the same game if it had been in the style of FFX.
    Art style wouldn't have had to changed. There are plenty of cartoony looking games on PS2 after all. Some of them are RPGs too.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would have probably performed better commercially cause the game was overshadowed by the launch of the PS2 at the time and once a new system gets released it's surprising how quickly companies and their fans abandon it. IX wasn't just the end of FF's stint on the PS1, it was most likely the last major milestone for the system as I can't even fathom anything of interest that came out afterwards.

i would hope that it would have not changed art direction mid production, and stayed with the original character designs as opposed to the messed up art style we got in the final product on the PSX, being that the PS2 was able to handle more graphicly im sure they would have been able to go the original art direction instead of having to dumb down the games art style as bad as they did...

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

If it had been on PS2 I would not have acquired it until much, much, later, if at all. Maybe I would have been introduced to the FF series through another entry and not liked it as much. I likely would never have joined these forums. And that would be the greatest tragedy of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz View Post
    If it had been on PS2 I would not have acquired it until much, much, later, if at all. Maybe I would have been introduced to the FF series through another entry and not liked it as much. I likely would never have joined these forums. And that would be the greatest tragedy of all.
    Such a shame that they didn't put it on the PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Personally I always thought disc swapping was an integral part of the PSX experience - a limitation that they played to their advantage in terms of the story. You had those milestone end of disc moments to aim for - dramatic cliffhanger moments have never been the same since.
    Agreed totally.

I'm just glad that they made this game to PSX.

Blog Entries

We wouldve been able to visit all the towns and dungeons at the end of the game which mightve added a few more side missions.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

That is likely.

Other than that, I don't really care about disc swaps at all. If you want milestones, I think using chapters in the game's story are just as good at this.