Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you still play the originals?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo Do you still play the originals?

So the series has seen a bunch of ports and have been released multiple times, so I was wondering do you still play the original copy you experienced the game the first time with or has the advent of technology made you choose to play it on some other gaming device nowadays?

It's been a few years since I played my SNES copy of FFVI, but I've played through the GBA version a couple of times. I can't even remember the last time I touched the SNES copy of FFIV though...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

occasionally. Woolsy translations are fun.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I can only play the NES/SNES versions through emulations, if that counts?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    Well, I can only play the NES/SNES versions through emulations, if that counts?
    if its how you first played them then yes, but if you played ffi on the nes but now only on pc or one of its ports, then no.

Articles
    Blog Entries

New devices haven't changed the way I play the much, outside of the PSOne Classics releases on PSN, and I play them on my PSP sometimes.

I only started playing FF because my brother told me some friend of his had it for gba and it was a good game so I bought some of the other final fantasies after they came out.
    Last edited by Flaming Ice; 02-01-2013 at 03:32 AM.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I've really only played FFI NES, albeit emulated (some of the PS1 remake, but never finished it). I also continued to pull out the PS1 to play FFVII and FFT, though at this point I'd have to dig it out after a couple of moves.

:monster:

I first played all of the games I've played for any appreciable length of time except for FFV on consoles. I can't go back and replay FFIV and FFVI on consoles because I don't own them, though. The others, if I had my PS2 setup, I would probably go back and replay at some point in the near future. Except I'll probably emulate FFIX because my first disc is too scratched to play the FMVs.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

In the past year I played through IX and X on the original PS1/2 discs. IX I bought on release and my version of X is a used copy I picked up in 03.

I'll probably go on to play VIII on the original discs sometime this year as well. For anything older than VII I have to settle for crappy PSX compilation discs or ROMs.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Does playing PS1 titles on the PS2 with fast load and texture smoothing on count as not being original play format? :P

If so, then no, anything before FFX, I haven't played the original way I first played it in years. In fact, the last time I played any of the PS1 titles on my PS1 was before I got my PS2, which was in like 2003.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, that counts as playing the original. I'm curious to see if people stopped playing the old cartridges and disks, or to see how many people got into the series through emulators. The actual system is not important in the case of the PS1/2 titles, its important if you still just pull the old disc out of their case and give them a try.

Blog Entries

Currently (though I kind of fell flat on FF2) playing through the originals. Part of the experience of going through the history of FF, for me, is also going through its evolutions. From 8 to 16 bit, from "if you target something that's been defeated you wave your sword in the air like an idiot" to intelligent targeting, and all the little bugs and quirks that sometimes gave the games a little charm. I'd play the remakes eventually, but not yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I-II: First played on PC emulation, now own them all on PSN and play them on PSP.
    III:: First played on PC emulation, now own on DS.
    IV-VI: First played on PC emulation, now own them all on PSN and play them on PSP.
    VII-VIII: First owned/played on PSX. Now own them on PSN and play them on PSP. Have played them on PC, too.
    IX: First owned on PSN, still playing my first run on PSP.
    X: First owned/played on PS2.
    XI: First owned/played on PC.
    XII: First owned/played on PS2.
    XIII: First owned/played on PS3.
    XIV: First owned/played on PC.

Of these, I have played the following in the past few years: I, II, V, VI, VII, IX, XII, XIII, XIV.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Yes when it comes to FF III because I really enjoy the NES original over the newer DS remake. The music just feels more Final- Fantasy-ish than the remake, so it feels more at home.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I always play them on the original consoles they came out on if you don't count FFIII which I never play and FFV because the original has to be a ROM.