Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've played better puzzle games twenty years ago thanks

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like MILF's posts.

Articles
    Blog Entries

MILF is reminding me why I adore him so.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is why I've called it emotional. Most reactions range from "meh" to "nice" yet here's MILF saying "RIP Sony" and "Redmond is laughing." I honestly cant believe in 2013 people are still hung up on the Microsoft vs. Sony thing, especially when a lot of us have just gone back to Steam. It reminds me of the last thread about how well the PS3 has done but MILF thought it important to remind us all about marketing strategies and consumer demographics. These are machines that play videogames. Can anyone please explain to me why this other stuff matters?

Ive seen a lot of discussions about what we want to see next generation. I would love if gamers stopped the corporate marketing spin and put the fanboyism to rest. I don't ever remember talking about if the ps2 was better than the gamecube. And we never evaluated Sega and Nintendo based on their business strategies and press conferences. We talked about their features and their games.

Damn I miss those days.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Omg! I cant wait, I`ll freeze myself like Cartman..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm thinking MILF is simply trolling for trouts and giggles. I mean, he's saying he's played better puzzle games than Witness when nobody has any smurfing clue how good Witness is going to be based on that trailer. I want to explore that world, I know that much. The game gives me a easier (note: not necessarily a bad thing) Myst game.

I was pretty impressed by almost everything on show (with a couple of exceptions, but not every game will be for everyone), and the fact that they didn't show us the console is disappointing but seriously, who cares? The colour and shape of a console is not high on my agenda when choosing a console. I'm interested in seeing how it all shapes up over the coming months.

EDIT: My thoughts...

Regarding the PS4 itself
    - Easily the integration with Vita. This is notable for me because come price drop I was thinking of grabbing one of these anyway, but if it means I don't have to worry about Danielle wanting to play a game at the same time as me, all the better (while we have two TVs, both the 360 and the PS3 are in the lounge).
    - Integration with tablets (iPad) and smartphones (iPhone/Android), too? At least, that's the impression I'm getting. If it's true that you can use any random remote device to improve your gaming experience, that's... interesting. The potential is high, but how far they reach on this potential is obviously yet to be seen so I'll have to wait and see.
    - Witness seems pretty cool, or at least the world does. I'll have to wait and see how cheap/easy the puzzles are, but I'd love to explore that world at the very least.
    - I really like the idea of being able to watch someone else's game and comment on it as they go. I don't think I like the idea of allowing someone else to 'control' your game for you, though. Personally, I would not let people do this for me, so the only real annoyance it will bring is some backseat driver saying "GAH LET ME DO IT FOR YOU" which would kind of piss me off. Let me enjoy my own game! Hopefully this doesn't happen.
    - I do like the idea of Developers hopping into games and helping people out, although I don't see it happening often enough to expect it.
    - I do like how much emphasis they put on making the console easy for developers to work with, because I do think that developers, through their games, will in the long run "own" how things will play out between the 720 and the PS4.
    - Good to see how many devs are apparently working with them.
    - This whole "the PS4 will download the game before you buy it" is weird. But okay. And I like that every game will be try-before-you-buy, apparently.
    - I must be one of the very few people who actually liked the PS3's user interface, because I'm kind of iffy on the new one. Oh well. I don't want pretty pictures, I just want a clean UI where I know where to go for whatever I want to do, and to display decent amounts of information on my screen, not massive ugly blocks like I have on my 360 or groups of updating blocks like on Facebook. Oh well, guess I'll just have to put up with it.
    - Thankyou for letting me open up things like web browsers while playing a game. I hated that there were a lot of things I had to quit the game to do.
    - On that 'quit the game' note, turning off my PS3 was one of those things I hated to do. If my PSP can keep my game state when it's off, why can't the PS3!? I'm glad the PS4 does this.
    - I don't know if I'll ever use that Share button, but okay.
    - A lot of sites are complaining that they didn't say enough about the entertainment system use of the PS4, or talk about Facebook-styled games. I am so glad for this. I want a smurfing games console. If it happens to do other things, so be it, but I want it to be about the games. That's the reason I buy it, after all.
    - What the smurf is that touchpad for? The only thing I can think of that uses a touchpad that tiny is a laptop. Is the touchpad going to be for a mouse like mechanism? That would make some sense, I guess. It really does make me wonder, though.
    - Why is there a speaker in the controller?
    - No information regarding 4K?

Regarding the developer bits
    - Watchdogs - the new GTA? It's looking more and more like it. I'll be very interested to see how GTA can compare to this, because to me the game looks like a notably improved and perhaps mildly futuristic version of GTA. And it looks far more interesting to me than GTA V.
    - Blizzard. Ooh, this could be really intersting. Oh, it's just Diablo III. Never mind, then. Still, I can't deny that I'm glad Blizzard are touching on console gaming again, because it could lead to some pretty cool things in the long run.
    - Square-Enix. Ooh, this could be really interesting. Oh, it's just Agni's Philosophy. Never mind, then. Wait a second, what did that guy at the end say?
    - Drive Club seems cool, although I don't think I'd buy it - but then, I never buy racing games. If I were to buy a racing game, I would consider that one. I certainly wouldn't try to avoid it when picking a bundle, although that's a long way down the line and for all I know the game could be given crap reviews by then.
    - Knack looks so-so. Another Ratchet & Clank style game, I guess? Hum.
    - Bungie and Sony working together is pretty cool. I won't go bragging about them extending outside of Microsoft, though, because obviously thatgamecompany are extending outside of Sony, too. Anyway, Destiny looks okay but I'll just have to wait and see.
    - Infamous: Second Son is not interesting to me, really. I loved inFamous, I even Platinum'ed it, but I just couldn't get myself rushing to inFamous 2, so...
    - Deep Down looks very interesting. Good to see one Japanese game shown off.
    - Oh, yeah, I forgot about Killzone, which is easy to do because I've never played a Killzone game. It looks alright. I think I'd be more interested in Destiny out of the two FPS games shown, though.
    - I don't care about the PlayStation Move. I mean, I really liked those sculptures that were being made, but as soon as they turned it into that band thing, I lost all interest. I like the creative part of it. I don't like the idea of using it as a control mechanism for games.
    - Holy smurfing crap, that face. o_o

In conclusion: Ah, who cares? I'm inevitably going to buy both the 720 and the PS4 anyway. Also, I do agree with what I heard someone say (I watched a lot of various build up things) before the event... whatever happens, it shouldn't be considered positive or negative until we know what we're paying for it, and they were never going to tell us what we're paying for it on the night.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    This is why I've called it emotional. Most reactions range from "meh" to "nice" yet here's MILF saying "RIP Sony" and "Redmond is laughing." I honestly cant believe in 2013 people are still hung up on the Microsoft vs. Sony thing, especially when a lot of us have just gone back to Steam. It reminds me of the last thread about how well the PS3 has done but MILF thought it important to remind us all about marketing strategies and consumer demographics. These are machines that play videogames. Can anyone please explain to me why this other stuff matters?

Ive seen a lot of discussions about what we want to see next generation. I would love if gamers stopped the corporate marketing spin and put the fanboyism to rest. I don't ever remember talking about if the ps2 was better than the gamecube. And we never evaluated Sega and Nintendo based on their business strategies and press conferences. We talked about their features and their games.

Damn I miss those days.
    Because video games are a business and I we're now adults? o_O

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Because video games are a business and I we're now adults? o_O
    Screw you! When it comes to gaming, I'm a kid! If a console ain't keeping me running back for more fun, I don't care about it.

Disclaimer: That's not to say I don't find it interesting to speculate/discuss marketing/business/etc. relating to games.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Meh. I don't know what you guys are excited about. Nothing seemed impressive to me at all. But then again I stopped caring about Sony approximately halfway through the PS2's lifespan. Hell, I think I'm pretty much done with console gaming in general. The only reason I have a 360 is cause Hux got one for me I don't use it very often. My PC can do everything it does and better (because of mods).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that the next generation of consoles will be modder-friendly. I don't see why it can't happen, particularly if the architecture is PC-esque enough.

I love PC gaming and all - most of my gaming in the past year has been FFXIV and Football Manager, while X-COM and other games certainly kept me for many a day. I think the PC has the best games when it comes to going back to them over and over, too. But to deny console gaming is kind of ignorant.

Also, none of it seemed impressive? WHAT ABOUT THE FACE. x_x

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Well, I'm not denying console gaming, I'm just saying it's no longer interesting to me, especially if they continue to shoehorn this "social" stuff in there that no one cares about.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm pretty certain that all this social stuff isn't going to be restricted to console games. Seems to be all the rage at the moment. While I don't know if I'd care to see it showing up on my Facebook page all the time, I will concede that there are certain games I wouldn't mind having the option to allow for commentary on. I mean, I know it won't be, but... if Dwarf Fortress was on the PS4, the ability to watch it live and for people to hop in and take over the controls whenever you wish is pretty cool. That's the kind of social gaming I can really get behind. Also, should FFXIV ever make the jump to the PS4 (again, not counting on it) then it would be great for streaming boss fights and whatnot.

But yeah, pretty sure most of the social things are completely optional, just like with every other major game out there that already has that kinda stuff.

Blog Entries

Ah so there is actually a console?

I tuned in about half an hour late and they were waffling on about the Vita and how it can be streamed there and tablets and then talking about games and I didn't catch anything about a new console. I had the sinking feeling the "PS4" was going to be a case of "it's not actually a console, but a cloud based experience you can have on any device!" or some modern bulltrout like that

8 core processor? Colour me interested.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Riiiight. I never watched the event so. Brief run down of the things they talked about? :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The PS4 page on Wikipedia pretty much sums everything up.