Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving Blood & Donating Organs

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Giving Blood & Donating Organs

I was watching a programme on organ donation and it prompted something in me, to sign up to the organ donation register in England, and enquire about blood donations. I've always had an interest in doing these sort of donations but I never really had the drive to do it, not to mention that young people's donation rates aren't exactly high in the first place.

But yeah, I decided to sign up for it. I'm still waiting for a letter back for my blood donation number so I can actually go to the centres to draw my blood. As for the organ donation, well, I'll get a confirmation letter, but besides that, that can be forgotten about until, you know, I die.

So have any of you guys signed up to whatever country's donation register? What made you want to donate? What made you not?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm too bloody chicken trout to do so. Props to those who do it and please grab an extra cookie for me.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yea you sign something when getting your drivers license here
    i've had people tell me that i'll be targeted for 'an accident' because of it in case someone rich is a match and needs my organs

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think I've ever given blood. I have started suspecting in the last few years that I am anemic, though, so I need all the blood I can get. So you all should just give me your blood instead.

I checked the mark on my driver's license to have my organs donated if needed.

i've never given blood despite being a proponent of it because i'm just a big hypocrite

also not an organ donor because hypocrite

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I have given blood a number of times. And I'm an O- so I'll be saving everyone's lives with my universally accepted blood.
    I get special letters encouraging me to donate more because I'm such a special snowflake. Reminding me that my blood will be saving thousands of premature babies, etc. Emotional blackmail. ._.

I ticked the organ donor box on my driving license thing.

I also want to look into platelet donations. I hear that's something people want too.

Blog Entries

I'm on the organ donors register. It appears that the Welsh Government is planning on making it an opt-out thing for its people rather than opt-in, which is outrageous, but whenever I try to argue against it I just get called an immoral smurftard. Don't care anymore.

there was a picture here

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I donate blood, but less regularly than I should, and I'm an organ donor as well.

Signature by rubah. I think.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I don't really care about donating blood, but donating some organs when I die would be fine, I guess. Assuming they are still usable.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Like Shorty, I'm anemic. I don't do well with having my blood taken, let alone donating it.

I am, however, an organ donor. I'm not sure what, if any, they could use from me, considering my CF. But, they're still free to take what they can when I pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I haven't taken a stance concerning my organs yet, for some reason. I'd like to give blood, though, but I'm not allowed since I've had sex with other guys.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Breine View Post
    I'd like to give blood, though, but I'm not allowed since I've had sex with other guys.
    I really, really, don't understand the whole "please wait 12 months if you've had sex with other men". The only possible reason would be HIV, but we no longer live in 1980. HIV can be transmitted from any gender. The whole thing doesn't make sense. It's stupid really, and makes homosexuals not want to donate.

Blog Entries

I've heard someone say theyre not an organ donor because if one day theyre in the hospital with 70% chance of survival and theres a dying child who needs his organs, he's worried the doctors might not try as hard to save him.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I'm a registered organ donor. Not like I'll be using them.

Keeping my blood though, thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I really, really, don't understand the whole "please wait 12 months if you've had sex with other men". The only possible reason would be HIV, but we no longer live in 1980. HIV can be transmitted from any gender. The whole thing doesn't make sense. It's stupid really, and makes homosexuals not want to donate.
    It takes a few months for HIV to present itself in a blood test, and gay men are more likely to have HIV by a very wide margin. The 12 months is just a big contingency measure. You don't mess around when it comes to HIV, sensibilities of the situation or not.

there was a picture here