:joey:

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    Del is going to be so happy.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Asorie View Post
    This is how I think of it sometimes -- some of these people, here, and some who aren't here now, but with whom I have reconnected in other ways, saw me as the least likable version of myself I can thus far recall having been. And even before I had had a chance to learn equanimity, or tact, or break out of the tiny little backwards world I had grown up in, even at my most mercurial, insecure, and least stable, they were still my friends. I could come here and have silly, carefree fun, and also have real conversations about things that actually mattered, and no one would bounce me out the door for being the pathetic teenager I was.

So think about all that and consider that this many years later, some of that still exists -- there are still people who, no matter how much you may cringe thinking of your past self, remember you fondly enough to say, "Hey, where's ____?" and notice if you're missing.
    I think this was something I really needed to hear... Thanks, Angela.

I'm sorry I have been vague about my updates; I don't really know where I left off. After California I moved to about 10 states and did various things, and I know that's also vague, but there's details better left unsaid. Then I joined the Army because I wanted stability and guidance, was impulsive, and didn't think the decision through; I spent a couple years miserable, got sent to Iraq and met my former, and favorite boss, who hired me to be a contractor as soon as I was released from the Army. So basically as soon as I got back from Iraq (they stop loss-ed me to keep me in for that tour) I was right back in it, although this time I was there doing reconnaissance and IED disarmament.

The first time I ever found a bomb and prevented someone from getting hurt or dying was the first time I truly felt like a useful human being. The Army was one of the worst experiences of my life, but it was a conduit to something I felt was great - it wasn't a moral issue and I never felt bad about what I was doing - if I found a bomb, nobody got blown up, no matter what side they were on.

It's hard to go from that to anything else, but eventually Iraq ended, and Afghanistan isn't a realistic option for me. A week after I got back from Iraq, my girlfriend at the time left me, and I'd been living in Canada, so I had free choice to go anywhere in the country. I narrowed it down to either the northwest or the southeast - two places in the country I hadn't lived yet - and decided I could do Florida when I retired. I came to Portland to get a completely fresh start, where I knew nobody. It was rocky at first but I feel I've settled in nicely - I do office work right now, nothing major, nothing exciting, but it's necessary work, and I like my coworkers and my bosses. I'm not finding bombs but I also knew I couldn't do that forever - this is calm, and balanced, and for the most part, I'm happy.

I've also been seeing a mother of two for a while. Funny thing is... She grew up in the place 3 houses down from mine in southern California. We both moved to Oregon 20 years apart and reconnected recently... And I'm better with kids than I suspected I would be. I used to be afraid of any kid looking up to me, because I would hate for any kid to want to emulate me and be like I was - that's all the world needs - but Heather says I'm a positive influence on them, so I'll take her word.

I think I have the balance I need now. I'm just not used to stability. The two year landmark will be an odd one to pass - I've got bits and pieces of myself strewn about the world, but no roots anywhere, and I can feel myself settling in, and it's not that bad.
    ~K.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Primus Inter Pares View Post
    Sup.
    *humps yvnges leg furiously*

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Locky and Yams and PiP. Hello, hello, hello. And congrats on your daughter, PiP.

I miss characters with square hands. That was a one-of-a-kind weird graphical time. It certainly worked better than Final Fantasy "PixelJunk" VIII & IX (for me, anyway).

And yeah, I'm with Angela, you just gotta move on sometimes and focus on the positive. As for being an ideal role model, psh, you'll do just fine. The number one thing you've learned from your past, it seems, is that you shouldn't be something you view as 'bad', and that means you're going to be one of the best role models a kid could hope for. Anyone who makes the effort to be the best they can be will go far. Also, you've been a useful human being more often than the moment you disarmed a bomb, but I'm glad it gave you that feeling. I can't say I've done anything like that!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Oh man I cant believe I finally get to post right after Loony BoB! He's barely around anymore!
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 03-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Nulli Secundus Primus Inter Pares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Inter Pares View Post
    Sup.
    *humps yvnges leg furiously*
    *humps leg furiously*

Cheers BoB.

Anyways this thread is horrendously tl;dr. Currently I'm working 1st/2nd Line IT support in Norway for a big oil services company, so it's the classic corporate sellout. I'm looking for new jobs but it has to come with a lot better wages since it's so cushy here getting to just surf reddit and youtube and post on stuff (at work now waiting for java to load for a user).
    :joey:

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    I second this! This thread requires more mad scientist.

This is the most ridiculous attack of nostalgia I can ever remember experiencing, good gods. It's nice to see this place is still kicking and that it retains the ability to suck me in like a black hole and cause me to read 30+ page threads.

Hey there Mik, Dan, Proto, Kath, Matt, Halan, Kalen, Caliope, Alex and everyone else I'm too lazy to list. And hello to those of you who I sort of, kind of remember but not entirely because you've all changed your names and icons and it has nothing at all to do with the fact that I haven't been here in years. I've been sitting here like someone's grandmother squinting at your names and icons like that's going to help job my memory. I'm very obviously suffering from caffeine deprivation right now.
    Hey!!! I am glad to see that you're here
    Gosh it's been such a long time. I'm so nostalgic to my early days here...some...12 years ago. I'm still not a day over 18 though! :P

It just bit me, is all. Little Miss Awesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Amy! I wasn't 100% certain if you two got married or not, so I'm really glad you stopped by to clear that up. Also, massive congrats on your daughter. How old?
    Ah no problem, thanks for the invite She's six months and she's amazing Did anybody count how many EoFF babies there are?

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post

*Hi fives the fellow northerner*
    *High fives* Although truth be told I'm a bit of a fraud, I'm from the UK.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Awesome View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Locky View Post

*Hi fives the fellow northerner*
    *High fives* Although truth be told I'm a bit of a fraud, I'm from the UK.
    No that's what I meant, your location says Teesside!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Think of it this way, oldbies, most the current regulars don't know how you were in your teenage years so you can start fresh!... Again! We know non-the-wiser.

GO BOWS!!! Recognized Member Mr Rocko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow the nostalgia on this thread keeps growing and growing!

"The Great" Ashley Lelie!!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It's always nice to hear that people are doing pretty well, even if I don't know them.

gj eoff, spawning semi-reasonable human beings! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I know that things are a little bit slow around here right now and that EoFF isn't to it's former glory, and it never will be. A lot has changed since many of you have been here but it's still the same EoFF, just with different faces.

We all get busy and stuff, and lord knows we all have personal lives (what's that) but I would love to see some of the older faces around here more often. This was a nice surprise (thanks towns even though you didn't include me you giant steamroller) and you guys are missed and you are definitely loved.
    It's just that you feel nostalgic. I've browsed around and there seems to be nice and great people here, with similar topics and such! It still feels like EoFF, it still is EoFF. But still not the same in sense, because people in this topic really made the EoFF my EoFF, not the Fora itself of course. I think I've overstayed my visit already, but can't help but coming back check general chat and this topic at least past few days. Really enjoyed random #EoFF chatting. Something I can do when I'm on nightshift ( and I usually do at least two of them per week)

Been positively surprised so many "old" peeps has taken time from their lives and come post here, at least that one post showing that you still care.
    Last edited by Mikztsu; 03-12-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    ('-'*)/ - "sup"