View Poll Results: Is soup a food or a drink?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Food

48 92.31%
  • Drink

4 7.69%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Soup

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

But it also fits the definition of drink, Manny. Not all soups have chunks of food, not all soups are "eaten" with a spoon (seriously? eaten? do you eat chunkless soup?).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

the tomato soup i eat is "chunkless" and i would never say i drink it

it could never quench my thirst

just give it up already

Yossarian Lives Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

See, if anyone else had made this thread I would applaud what a marvelous troll they had pulled off. As lonny bob is genuinely round-the-bend, loop-de-loop crazy I can only shake my head.

i still maintain my point that this is a thread made by a religious fundamentalist trying to force everyone to join their wacky sect and trying to explain why they're right using cyclical explanations while everyone else is arguing with actual science

and idk why this is still in GC not EoEO

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

But you do drink chunkless soup. It's in the science of drinking! You take a liquid into your mouth, you don't have a need to chew, you swallow.

:monster:

No one drinks tomato soup. What, you take a frakking straw and drink it, BoB? Or slurp it out of the bowl? You're crazy. The civilised world eats it with a spoon. It's time to put away childish things and join the rest of the world.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    No one drinks tomato soup. What, you take a frakking straw and drink it, BoB? Or slurp it out of the bowl? You're crazy. The civilised world eats it with a spoon. It's time to put away childish things and join the rest of the world.
    The soup at my work allows you to use either a bowl or a cup. I use the cup, because I drink it at my desk, and you shouldn't drink from a bowl when you're at your computer desk at work!

I do sometimes slurp stuff from bowls, but that's mostly when I have noodles in the soup and am done with the noodles. It's efficient consumption.

Drinking from a spoon is still drinking, by the way. If you pour water into a bowl and use a spoon to consume it, you're still drinking. Hence, you drink soup.

I repeat, you are nuts. The civilised world does not sip soup from a cup.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

What if there is really good soup and you need to take it to your desk but the only way to take it to your desk is in a cup? Would you miss your opportunity to consume some really good soup!?

Also, I think I edited my post when you were posting: Drinking from a spoon is still drinking.

No it isn't. You are the only person in the entire world that ever says you drink anything out of a spoon. The proper English usage is eat soup. No one besides you claims to drink soup, because it is impossible. Soup is a food.

And no I would not drink soup out of a cup, because you do not drink food. That's ridiculous. Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups, but it is still a food when thus served, because one eats it with a spoon, unless one's name is Lonny BoB.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    No it isn't. You are the only person in the entire world that ever says you drink anything out of a spoon. The proper English usage is eat soup. No one besides you claims to drink soup, because it is impossible. Soup is a food.

And no I would not drink soup out of a cup, because you do not drink food. That's ridiculous. Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups, but it is still a food when thus served, because one eats it with a spoon, unless one's name is Lonny BoB.
    ...why the hell would you have soup in a cup and then use a spoon to drink it? That's idiotic. I mean, I can understand if there were chunks and you wanted to eat the chunks, but... thin soup? Really? With a spoon? From a cup?

I mean, I don't even...

The question you have to ask about yourself about any dish with liquid contents is: Would any self-respecting restaurant serve this without a spoon? If the answer is yes, then you may have yourself a drink. If your answer is no, then you certainly do not. Have you ever known a restaurant to bring you a soup without a spoon? Ever? I've ordered soup from easily dozens and maybe even hundreds of restaurants, and every single one brought me a spoon. That is because soup is a food that you eat with a spoon, regardless of whether it is served in a cup or a bowl. You do not drink soup out of a cup, unless perhaps your name is Daniel Towns, and that would only be because you have no self-respect. Self-respecting people use the spoons that soup is served with to eat the soup, because soup is spoon food.

And now I want a good serving of soup, which I will proceed to eat, with a spoon, because unlike Lonny BoB, I have self-respect.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Sargatanas)

Having soup served in a cup is pretty common here. It's often for lunch on the go or whatever.

Doesn't make it a drink though. xD

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Do you guys still throw elections? Can there be a "Soup is a Food" party?

We're actually planning an election right now. If I don't run it myself I'll start one. Though I'm tempted to name it after the Dead Kennedys song I posted above.