View Poll Results: Is soup a food or a drink?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Food

    48 92.31%
  • Drink

    4 7.69%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 163

Thread: Soup

  1. #76
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Edinbugger
    Posts
    51,250
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    The question you have to ask about yourself about any dish with liquid contents is: Would any self-respecting restaurant serve this without a spoon?
    They always serve soup in bowls because it is considered to be normal to do so, not because it is a requirement. It is also considered to be more respectable because people don't take their restaurant meals 'to go'. For chunkier soups, it may become a requirement, though - it's rather annoying having chunky soup in a cup. But there is nothing wrong with drinking soup from a cup. I expect thousands of people do so every day. In fact, I know hundreds within my building do so every day! The soup here is generally pretty good.
    If the answer is yes, then you may have yourself a drink. If your answer is no, then you certainly do not. Have you ever known a restaurant to bring you a soup without a spoon? Ever? I've ordered soup from probably hundreds and maybe even thousands of restaurants, and every single one brought me a spoon. That is because soup is a food that you eat with a spoon, regardless of whether it is served in a cup or a bowl.
    ...that doesn't somehow magically make it not a drink. Just because you can consume it using a spoon doesn't instantly make something a food. That's kind of silly. Just because it's what society and tradition have dictated to be normal doesn't mean that soup is not a consumable liquid (ie, a drink). This is perhaps one of the weirdest definitions I have ever seen for food - "something that you don't drink from a cup in a classy restaurant". You're so weird, Aaron. xD Coming up with these crazy definitions to try and justify something that has been pushed into your head by irrational tradition. I thought you were a man of science.
    You do not drink soup out of a cup, unless perhaps your name is Daniel Towns, and that would only be because you have no self-respect. Self-respecting people use the spoons that soup is served with to eat the soup, because soup is spoon food.
    There are about 3,000 to 4,000 people in this building and there is always a queue at the soup area, and the cups are used more often than the bowls. It's not because they aren't self-respecting, it's because they have so much self-respect that they don't give two craps what Mr. Man thinks and would prefer to not be using a bowl & spoon at their work desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Having soup served in a cup is pretty common here. It's often for lunch on the go or whatever.
    Thankyou, Shauna! Some people are so rude to people just because they do things differently. Next thing you know, The Man will accuse every single person in the world but him of not being self-respecting because they are not him.
    Doesn't make it a drink though. xD
    Well, no, putting something in a cup doesn't make it a drink. I could put a screwdriver in a cup but it wouldn't be a drink (or food). I could put milk in a bowl (hi, cereal) but that doesn't make it a food, either (the cereal is food, milk itself is still a drink). When I drink the milk using a spoon, I drink it. I don't chew it! I eat the cereal like I eat chunks of food in the soup. But if it's just the leftover milk after I finish the cereal, I'm drinking the milk, not eating it.

    Soup is a drink because you drink it. Sometimes it has chunks of food in the soup, but the liquid without chunks of food is still soup - chunks of food without the liquid is not still soup. It's just chunks of food. So the liquid is the soup. The soup is the liquid. Liquid that you consume is a drink. This is all very simple, I'm not sure why you people can't wrap your heads around the idea of soup being a liquid and consumable liquid being a drink.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  2. #77
    pirate heartbreaker The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    10,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lonny bob
    They always serve soup in bowls because it is considered to be normal to do so, not because it is a requirement.
    I said in the very post you quoted that they don't always serve soup in bowls:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups
    Did you even read my post? They do, however, always serve soup with a spoon. Because it is a food.

    It is also considered to be more respectable because people don't take their restaurant meals 'to go'. For chunkier soups, it may become a requirement, though - it's rather annoying having chunky soup in a cup. But there is nothing wrong with drinking soup from a cup. I expect thousands of people do so every day. In fact, I know hundreds within my building do so every day! The soup here is generally pretty good.
    Then your building is full of weirdos. I know of no one that drinks soup from a cup, because here in America we have self-respect and know that soup is a food for eating with a spoon.

    ...that doesn't somehow magically make it not a drink. Just because you can consume it using a spoon doesn't instantly make something a food. That's kind of silly.
    I didn't say that because you can consume something with a spoon makes it a food. I said that because something is consumed with a spoon that makes it a drink. And no matter what you say, soup is traditionally eaten with a spoon. Because it is a food. Yes, you can consume coffee with a spoon if you want. But no one does that, because it is not a food, and one person (or even several dozen people) consuming coffee with a spoon would not make it any less a drink just because of the way that person consumed it. It is the exception, just as the people at your work drinking soup without a spoon is the exception. Soup is, in the overwhelming majority of cases, consumed with a spoon by self-respecting people, because it is a food.

    Just because it's what society and tradition have dictated to be normal doesn't mean that soup is not a consumable liquid (ie, a drink). This is perhaps one of the weirdest definitions I have ever seen for food - "something that you don't drink from a cup in a classy restaurant". You're so weird, Aaron. xD Coming up with these crazy definitions to try and justify something that has been pushed into your head by irrational tradition. I thought you were a man of science.
    Just because something is a liquid does not make it a drink. You're chastising me for having weird definitions and you yourself are using one of the weirdest definitions I have ever heard. If ice cream melts, is it suddenly a drink? Of course it isn't. Ice cream is a food and so is soup.

    You want to talk about science? Take a scientific survey of how soup is consumed. I guarantee the overwhelming majority of respondents will say they consume soup with a spoon, like a food. Because, not coincidentally, it is a food. People don't drink soup. They eat it.

    There are about 3,000 to 4,000 people in this building and there is always a queue at the soup area, and the cups are used more often than the bowls. It's not because they aren't self-respecting, it's because they have so much self-respect that they don't give two craps what Mr. Man thinks and would prefer to not be using a bowl & spoon at their work desk.
    What you weirdos in Scotland are forced to do by your work being weird and not giving you proper time to eat soup with a spoon like self-respecting people does not change the way soup is consumed by the overwhelming majority of people who eat it. Which is with a spoon. Whether a dish is served with a cup has nothing to do with whether it's a drink. I've seen solid foods served in cups before. Does that make those foods magically drinks if they're served with cup instead of bowls or plates? Of course it doesn't. Whether something is solid has nothing to do with whether it's a food, and whether something is served in a cup has nothing to do with whether it's a food. Soup is eaten with a spoon. Therefore it is a food.

    The simple question you have to ask yourself is: If you were to go out on a date with someone, would you eat this dish with a spoon or would you drink it like a Neanderthal? I know of no self-respecting person who would drink the liquid of their soup as though it were a tea or an alcoholic beverage when in the presence of the opposite sex. It is simply not done. What you weirdos are forced to do by your weird work shifts has nothing to do with whether soup is a food.

    Soup is a drink because you drink it. Sometimes it has chunks of food in the soup, but the liquid without chunks of food is still soup - chunks of food without the liquid is not still soup. It's just chunks of food. So the liquid is the soup. The soup is the liquid. Liquid that you consume is a drink. This is all very simple, I'm not sure why you people can't wrap your heads around the idea of soup being a liquid and consumable liquid being a drink.
    You drink it because you have no self-respect. The overwhelming majority of people (i.e. those who have self-respect) consume it with a spoon regardless of whether it has chunks or not, because it is a food.

    By the way, in case I didn't mention this before, you're weird.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

  3. #78
    Ta-Ra-Raspooteen Cid's Knight Night Fury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,511
    Articles
    156
    Blog Entries
    28

    FFXIV Character

    Liara Lavender (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

    Default

    I'm so tempted to abuse my power and close this thread.

    It's infuriating me greatly.


  4. #79
    pirate heartbreaker The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    10,946

    :monster:

    Do it. And then ban him for good measure so he can't make a new one.

    There are just so many ways Towns is wrong here that I keep thinking of new ones.

    Imagine, if you will, that Towns goes out for a meal with five friends. Let's just imagine this scenario:

    Server: "Hi, welcome to Derpy's Gourmet Café. May I take your drink order?"
    Friend 1: "I'll have water."
    Friend 2: "I'll have lemonade."
    Friend 3: "I'll have Coca-Cola."
    Friend 4: "I'll have the pinot noir."
    Friend 5: "I'll have coffee with two sugars and half-and-half."
    Towns: "I'll have a nice cup of tomato soup. And you can hold the spoon, thanks."

    Which of these people is the server going to look askance at?

    Restaurants don't list soup on the drinks menu. Because soup is not a drink. Soup orders are generally taken as appetizers with the rest of the food. Because soup is, in fact, a food.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

  5. #80
    Ta-Ra-Raspooteen Cid's Knight Night Fury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,511
    Articles
    156
    Blog Entries
    28

    FFXIV Character

    Liara Lavender (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

    Default

    Stop feeding the troll The_Man!

    Or should I say "Stop quenching the troll's thirst!"


  6. #81
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Edinbugger
    Posts
    51,250
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Now Manny, you're repeating yourself. And as for people looking at you weird, I could ask for tomato juice mixed with coca-cola and they'd look at me weird, too. They do that because it's a request they aren't used to, not because it isn't a drink. But yeah, you wouldn't get looked at weird if you asked for soup in a cup over here, and I don't think you'd get looked at weird in NZ either... perhaps, yes, if you asked for this in a high class restaurant, but they would also look at me weird if I asked for tartare sauce on my mashed potatol, cheese on my fish or anything that they are not used to serving.

    I mean, think about it. How much liquidated food do you need to mix in with a cup of water before you no longer consider it a drink?

    Manny, can you find a definition of 'drink' that clearly excludes soup?

    Wikipedia: a kind of liquid which is specifically prepared for human consumption.
    Dictionary.com: any liquid that is swallowed to quench thirst, for nourishment, etc.; beverage.
    Wiktionary: A served beverage
    For reference, 'beverage' is defined as 'a liquid to consume'.

    It should be noted that Soup is mentioned on the Wikipedia page for 'Drink' under 'Miscellaneous'.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  7. #82
    by default. Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Runway
    Posts
    11,135
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    This is infuriating!

    I work in a hospital, and a lot of patients are on a nutritional compact energy drink DIET, and some are on a nutritional soup intake only, which are categorized as being a nutritional drink.




  8. #83
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Edinbugger
    Posts
    51,250
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    This is infuriating!

    I work in a hospital, and a lot of patients are on a nutritional compact energy drink DIET, and some are on a nutritional soup intake only, which are categorized as being a nutritional drink.
    CATEGORIZED AND EVERYTHING.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  9. #84
    What the bliff Shiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    twitch.tv/reekal
    Posts
    17,342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    No one drinks soup. It's eaten with a spoon.
    Okay, while I don't agree with BoB I don't agree with this either. A lot of people drink soup out of a canteen in fact when I was child I'd only see children drink soup out of their plastic canteens.

  10. #85
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,545
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    This "troll" "runs" the smurfing site! EoFF is in a sorry state.

    Also, I'm pretty sure you can also buy like donut holes in a to-go cup at my local gas station, but that doesn't make it a smurfing drink, BoB.
    mfw you post

  11. #86
    Nameleon. Huckleberry Quin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    These mountains are made of rainbows.
    Posts
    20,008
    Blog Entries
    3
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    BoB, find me a fruit or vegetable that, when pressed, makes a soup. And tomato soup is not just pressed tomatoes, you bumhole.

    Point of interest: I drink hot chocolate from a cup via a spoon, because it is so much more delicious that way. BoB is still wrong, though.

  12. #87
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,545
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Dude, even plain broth is FOOD.

    If you are hospitalized and on an all-liquid diet and are eating broth all day, you still have to drink Sprite/water because SOUP IS A FOOD.
    Last edited by Jinx; 03-08-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: source: personal experience
    mfw you post

  13. #88
    Nameleon. Huckleberry Quin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    These mountains are made of rainbows.
    Posts
    20,008
    Blog Entries
    3
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Also, soup is not "liquidated food". Christ on a bike, man. Putting trout in a blender and cranking it up to eleven does not make soup, it makes a mess. An inedible mess. The foundation of your wrongness is this incorrect definition, so I request and require that you bring it up to date.
    Last edited by Huckleberry Quin; 03-08-2013 at 04:16 PM.

  14. #89
    Newbie Administrator Loony BoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Edinbugger
    Posts
    51,250
    Articles
    53
    Blog Entries
    19

    FFXIV Character

    Loony Bob (Sargatanas)

    Default

    The definition is all over the world, buddy. Find me a soup that you can't drink and involves no liquid, and I'll correct you and point out that it isn't a freakin' soup.

    As for being hospitalised - funny you mention that, Boobs, since Chris is a nurse and just stated that soup is categorised as a nutritional drink. He also mentions that some are on nutrional soup intake only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    BoB, find me a fruit or vegetable that, when pressed, makes a soup. And tomato soup is not just pressed tomatoes, you bumhole.
    You're right, you need to add a lot of drinkable items to get soup to a drinkable state. You certainly wouldn't avoid adding these items (such as, you know, water), as then you wouldn't be able to drink it. Because soup is, after all, liquid food which you drink. If there is no liquid to drink then it ceases to be a soup.

    Point of interest: I drink hot chocolate from a cup via a spoon, because it is so much more delicious that way.
    Exactly.

    BoB is still wrong, though.
    Yet you just can't prove that soup isn't a drink.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

  15. #90
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,545
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    By your definition of a drink--something you swallow--window cleaner must be a drink too.

    Go drink some, BoB.
    mfw you post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •