View Poll Results: What would you rather have as a pet?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cat

28 46.67%
  • Dog

32 53.33%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cat or Dog

Articles
    Blog Entries

Everything in that post is what a badly trained dog would do, not a good one. It's no different than those up themselves cats that never want to be stroked and just claw at your leg.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's a matter of which dog and which cat. I have had many of both and I've had plenty that were cuddly, dog and cat alike, loyal, playful, and smart. It's not something that is exclusive to one species or the other.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You guys know dogs can be trained, right? Like, dogs (especially a more intelligent one) can be trained to pretty much anyone's specifications if you know what you're doing.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I think it's a matter of which dog and which cat. I have had many of both and I've had plenty that were cuddly, dog and cat alike, loyal, playful, and smart. It's not something that is exclusive to one species or the other.
    How dare you try to take a moderate stance! This is EoFF! Only one can win!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Everything in that post is what a badly trained dog would do, not a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    You guys know dogs can be trained, right? Like, dogs (especially a more intelligent one) can be trained to pretty much anyone's specifications if you know what you're doing.
    So let's break this down then: if I wanted a dog that wasn't an annoying waste of time, money and space, I'd basically have to put in effort to prevent it from being the annoying waste of space it really wants to be. And I'd still have to put up with it being smelly, unattractive, and it's constant need for affection lest it degenerate into an emotionally damaged sack of meat because I didn't feel like throwing a ball in the yard with it one day.

Or I could just buy a cat and bypass all of that silly bulltrout altogether. You're doing a poor job of convincing me that Dog's are anything more than useful tools for human survival.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually have no idea how my dog would react if I were in a threatening situation. He's protective of his property and is an alert barker in the home if he hears noises from the other side of the door, but he is the biggest wuss I have ever seen. I'm almost entirely certain that he would cower behind me in order to be protected if someone broke in or attacked me or something, but I can't be sure because it's never happened. He's not the sort of dog to stand up and fight back if he feels threatened, which is something I have witnessed during the several times he has been attacked by other dogs. This makes me conclude that he would probably not drag me to safety or anything, but I hope he would.

Having said that, my dog is incredibly in tune with my emotions, happy and sad. He's so smart, and can understand more than just single-word commands. He can be incredibly obstinate and stubborn if he doesn't want to do something, but he is very smart.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I actually have no idea how my dog would react if I were in a threatening situation. He's protective of his property and is an alert barker in the home if he hears noises from the other side of the door, but he is the biggest wuss I have ever seen. I'm almost entirely certain that he would cower behind me in order to be protected if someone broke in or attacked me or something, but I can't be sure because it's never happened. He's not the sort of dog to stand up and fight back if he feels threatened, which is something I have witnessed during the several times he has been attacked by other dogs. This makes me conclude that he would probably not drag me to safety or anything, but I hope he would.

Having said that, my dog is incredibly in tune with my emotions, happy and sad. He's so smart, and can understand more than just single-word commands. He can be incredibly obstinate and stubborn if he doesn't want to do something, but he is very smart.

Shorty I can honestly say he would probably surprise you in a nasty situation.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hope he would!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22
    So let's break this down then: if I wanted a dog that wasn't an annoying waste of time, money and space, I'd basically have to put in effort to prevent it from being the annoying waste of space it really wants to be. And I'd still have to put up with it being smelly, unattractive, and it's constant need for affection lest it degenerate into an emotionally damaged sack of meat because I didn't feel like throwing a ball in the yard with it one day.
    On second though, don't get a dog. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Everything in that post is what a badly trained dog would do, not a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post

Or I could just buy a cat and bypass all of that silly bulltrout altogether. You're doing a poor job of convincing me that Dog's are anything more than useful tools for human survival.
    You probably shouldn't have pets.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    6) My cat loves to snuggle more than any animal I've ever seen. And the best part is, he doesn't smell like a dog while doing it.
    Obviously you've never been around clean dogs then. My dogs don't have an odor.

Also Vivi your posts reminds me why I dislike a good amount of cat owners. You shouldn't see a pet as a waste of space, time, and money. Otherwise what is the point in having one? I know people that will only get a cat just to have a pet, and do absolutely nothing for it aside from occasionally feed it. I don't see the point in that. I get pets as companions and additions to the family -- I'd treat a cat the same way.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vivi, you just dont seem like a pet person at all. Why have a pet if you dont want it around?

Considering my dogs have saved me from others that have tried to attack me, calmed down family arguments, helped me cope with my aspergers, saved my mom when she passed out in the bathroom, are as avid about hiking in the mountains as i am, and are freaking adorable i think my answer is fairly obvious.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wonder if Vivi thinks of children similarly.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, notice how the dog people will say positive things about dogs and why we love them. And very little about cat negatives. But cat people will talk only a little about the pro-cat stuff and a bunch about why they hate dogs. Says something about cat people, don't you think?

Vivi, my list never said that cats are excluded from any of those behaviors. It was just a list of why dogs are awesome. Dogs will love you, cats will love you, so pick whichever love you want. Does it make you feel better about your life decisions to hate on dogs?

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ashi View Post
    Where I'm living right now we have everything. Dogs, cats, birds..
    Birds?

Seriously, who wants the only pet that literally trouts on you. Constantly.

My cat is awesome and does not trout on me.