Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock: Infinite

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm torrrrn. The setting, style, plot, all of it seems to be smurfing incredible and I really want to explore and experience it. However, the setting was also amazing in the original BioShock too but as far as actual gameplay went I thought it was pretty poor. Reviews won't help as everyone jizzed all over BioShock at first. I think I'm going to sit on the fence a bit more and maybe wait for it to go down in price before committing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Just finished it. Best story in a video game that I've ever played, the whole final act was just so powerful and the ending that it culminated in had me sitting in silence for a good 5 minutes.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I ended up getting the game as an early birthday present from my sister (I, too, had been planning on waiting). Very good story, solid gameplay, and an absolutely stunning environment. If you're not paying close attention to the audio logs you find throughout the game, the final act is going to seem like a bit of a stretch. I'll be playing through a second time to see how much of the foreshadowing I missed.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Zachie Chan did you play and like BioShock 1? How does the gameplay compare?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

It's not a radical improvement over the original, and I would never say that the combat is Infinite's strongest point. Battles are much faster now. The addition of skylines and manipulating tears add more variety, as well. The game is also a lot easier, largely as a consequence of Elizabeth providing support (she'll toss you ammo, health, and salt once each per encounter when you're running low). The gameplay isn't ever distractingly bad the way it can be in the original. That said, there's not much to running through the game decimating everything with the shotgun and the RPG. I didn't really start using vigors until near the end of the game, and even then it was more because they're fun and not because I needed them strategically.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I only played it for about 4 hours and in all honesty was pretty bored. My friends keep telling me "give it time, give it time."

In an age where I have various pick up and play games at my disposal that I know are going to give me 30-40 minutes of enjoyment an actual AAA game really needs to grab me within the first couple of hours or else I'm going to lose interest. It sounds pomptuous but it's true - and Infinite has fallen victim to this.

I liked listening to the audiologs and watching the kinetoscope things that flesh things out a bit more but nothing about it has really felt new and exciting to me. The combat feels somewhat clunky to me and the skyrail thing that everyone raves about I feel like I already did in other games, Metroid Prime 3 being one that comes to mind.

I also dislike the save system as I have no real way of telling on the fly how long it's been since my last auto-save was.

I dunno I'm just not seeing the mindblowingness of it that other people are raving about - but then maybe that's just because "steampunk" esque stuff has never really floated my boat.

Maybe I'll give it some more time over the weekend.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It definitely gets better the longer the game goes on. But that said, I thought it was awesome from the start, the setting and story hooked me from the get go and I never felt bored. Is the combat a bit lacking and sometimes very frustrating? Yes. Does it detract from the amazing plot? In my opinion, not at all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'd never play it, but the concept sounds very fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just beat it. Pretty great game. I did not see that ending coming, all my theories were way off base.

So, who's gonna do 1999 Mode?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G13 View Post
    Just beat it. Pretty great game. I did not see that ending coming, all my theories were way off base.

So, who's gonna do 1999 Mode?
    Thinking about it. I definitely want to play through it again, so I'll probably give it a shot and hopefully don't end up throwing my computer through a window.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just started a playthrough on it. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be, but these Columbia policemen are nothing compared to the later enemies. Should be fun experienced when that first Handyman makes the scene.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I went ahead and bought it. It's pretty good so far. Some of the content actually makes me surprised that there hasn't been all sorts of controversy over the game.

The way they've made the use of music in the game is pretty clever.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I went ahead and bought it. It's pretty good so far. Some of the content actually makes me surprised that there hasn't been all sorts of controversy over the game.

The way they've made the use of music in the game is pretty clever.
    Could you elaborate on this? I'm curious about both parts.

Anybody discovered how magnificently overpowered Murder of Crows is? Couple it with the Overkill and Head Master Gears, and you can very quickly, very easily and very Salts-lessly create a minefield of stunlocking.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Racism is a central theme in this game. And if you pay attention to the music you can hear 1912 renditions of songs from groups like the Beach Boys, Tears for Fears, CCR, Cyndi Lauper, etc. I heard Girls Just Wanna Have Fun playing as carnival music, it was pretty cool.

I beat the game on 1999 Mode. It was difficult but not as difficult as some of the articles I had read about it said it was. I was expecting more than a few ragequittingly difficult fights, but I think maybe one of them had me fuming for all of five minutes. It was still fun though. It added a new level of fun to the gameplay, which I already found really enjoyable.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know that racism is central, just don't see why that would be controversial.

I realised about the music yesterday, yeah. I initially just assumed that Beach Boys covered God Only Knows, but then I remembered the whole fiasco that plagued its conception. Great little references all over the place.