Thread: Doctor Who: Season 10

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After watching the newest episode last night, I have to say it was pretty enjoyable. My main problem is that (SPOILER) there was no real sense of dread or anything for Matt Smith's impending doom. We knew this was his last episode and that Peter Capaldi was next. We never got the feeling that this could possibly be the end. I honestly wish we could have had that suspense of "is this the end? What could be next for Doctor Who?"

Also, I have issues with how the Doctor got new regenerations. For one, it does bother me that Clara has essentially become that "big red button" that can be pressed and all the problems presented to the Doctor are magically fixed. Moreso, I just wish we didn't get the idea that he was given a new cycle of regenerations. I wish we could have had an explanation such as he survives due to River giving up her regenerations, but that he wouldn't really know how much longer he has left. I think it would be interesting to have a Doctor who is actively facing his mortality like what we got a glimpse of with Matt Smith with this episode.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

So do all new Doctors..(SPOILER)Not know how to fly the TARDIS? Or is it just Capaldi?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    So do all new Doctors..(SPOILER)Not know how to fly the TARDIS? Or is it just Capaldi?
    (SPOILER)Just Capaldi. A side effect from the new regeneration cycle, I'm guessing.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

(SPOILER)
    I absolutely adored how smurfing creepy Capaldi looked. Like man, just suddenly there, and his big bushy brows and intense stare. As a recent watcher of the series I can't say too much else but I really appreciate what I've seen of Matt Smith and I think he did a smurfing phenomenal job. Lots of feels in that episode, even trout like the Cyberman head dying and trout. Obviously would've been way way better if we didn't know of Capaldi's existence but whatyagonnado.

A lot of the returning elements felt like they were shoehorned in ineffectively. Like, no need to hit us over the head with stuff: fans of this series are, from what I can tell, pretty smurfing savvy. They can tie up loose ends themselves (and some loose ends left are smurfing excellent imo). But yeah, I feel like this is a good time to get on the Who train.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER) I agree with the shoehorned notion of some of the returning elements. The episode was still a lot of fun despite some of the things that could have made it better. Matt Smith's performance was excellent, and I also got kind of teary-eyed when Handles died.

I'm excited to see what Capaldi will be like.

:monster:

(SPOILER)Things I felt didn't work well were the sudden disappearance of the Weeping Angels (I honestly missed the explanation of why they left, although I have been assured it was in the episode) and the Silence's sudden heel face turn, which was explained in the story but wasn't really given enough time to have an impact.

It's also not clear how the Doctor being given a new regeneration cycle ties in with his "death" on Trenzalore or if this is why Clara and the Great Intelligence could enter his timestream there, but maybe supplemental materials will expand on it.

As for the new regeneration cycle thing feeling cheap, though, the possibility of a regeneration cycle has been present in the series ever since the regeneration limit was first introduced (indeed, it's arguably the whole reason the regeneration limit was introduced in the first place), so the possibility has been there ever since the regeneration limit was a thing.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i hope i'm wrong but it really does sort of feel like a golden age just ended

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm re-posting this from Facebook. A dream I had last night!

I had the best Doctor Who dream last night. I know it messes up the timeline presented in The Name of the Doctor, but IDGAF.

So, the premise of the dream was that Eleven was still trying to figure out Clara (the Impossible Girl) and while he's freaked that she keeps showing up as the same, yet different, no one knows exactly what it is that's freaking him out the most. Clara wants to know why he's been acting so strange and melancholy around her (just like in the second half of season seven) and the Doctor explains to her that sometimes when he regenerates, he'll use some of his "old favorites" and regenerate into a previous incarnation of himself (as told to us by the Curator in The Day of the Doctor). He tells Clara that his first incarnation--the First Doctor--had the same face as he has now when he was a young man. He then gives her a picture showing that the wife of the First Doctor was the first Clara, and that's why he's so intent on figuring out who and what she is.

Sorry I just out-wrote you, Steven Moffat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

The episode had a lot of flaws, but they are forgiven due to naked Matt Smith. Hot damn.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

y'all notice how clara lives in the same apt complex as rose did in season 1?

It was a decent episode. Smith's speech towards the end was pretty good.

The best part was how the wife kept yelling at the tv.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    nah thats just london m8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    800px-Street_of_terraced_housing.jpg
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm really excited about Capaldi. It's unfortunate, as Jiro said, that this episode was kinda pissed on by the fact that everybody already knew about the new Doctor - they really smurfing should have kept that secret, the silly blighters. But god damn, it's Capaldi. I can't wait.

I've wanted an older, hopefully somewhat grumpier, Doctor for a while. I loved... argh, I forget which one, but I loved the Doctor that kept getting bothered by having to save humans. I'm hoping Malcolm Tucker will be less "Oh, humans I love you, oh please I want your Earthticles in and around my mouth". I loved Eccleston, Tennant and Smith to bits, and I'm very confident I'll love Capaldi; I just hope the writers aren't afraid to get their feet a bit wet and their hands a little dirty with him. I'd like to see more of a Doctor who does what's necessary, as I feel this will draw the writers away from their repeated use of miracles and deus ex machina to solve their problems.

AHHEHEHEHEEEE. I can't wait till August.