Page 34 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1424282930313233343536373839404454 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who: Season 10

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The first Doctor Who I ever saw was the 90's TV movie with Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor which American TV did its level best to ruin. This is also why Americans don't get to have opinions on Doctor Who

Articles
    Blog Entries

The first Doctor Who I sat down to watch in full was the Eleventh Hour. I ended up watching Series 5, 6, and 7 Part-1 in the next couple of days.

Best ride of my life. A Good Man goes to War is still my favorite episode. It was the first time in the longest time a TV show has actually turned on my brain and made me think, piecing together clues and coming to a solution while I sat there and watched. And I'm sorry, but while I do enjoy the first couple serials I watched later under RTD I never got that same level of experience.

Articles

Doctor Who The Movie Part 1 - Video Dailymotion

HERE KIDS GO WILD - Most likely the newest Doctor Who episode that you haven't seen!

You get to see the entirety of McGann's run (until the Night of the Doctor video from this month!) and a very old Seventh Doctor (Radagast in the Hobbit!) too... although the American fellows wanted Tom Baker - yes, 4 to regenerate into 8 - because that's who the American audience would recognise as the Doctor. The majority of it is cringeworthy... though McGann is brilliant and saves it. Oh, and it's possibly my favourite rendition of the main theme.

I guess my point is that nobody can complain about Moffat or RTD ever again.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I feel that Moffat is good at writing the one off stories, and yes, a number of the good ones during Davies run were written by Moffat. Davies wrote interesting overarching stories, something that I don't think I've been too enamoured with during Moffat's time as showrunner. His big stories are just... not interesting to me at all.

So there we go. My two cents.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I feel that Moffat is good at writing the one off stories, and yes, a number of the good ones during Davies run were written by Moffat. Davies wrote interesting overarching stories, something that I don't think I've been too enamoured with during Moffat's time as showrunner. His big stories are just... not interesting to me at all.

So there we go. My two cents.
    This is more or less how I feel about things. I think Moffat is a great writer both from his individual episodes and other series I've seen him write. But I just don't think his running stories are great.

I mean, I just love the direction RTD took things. For instance, in Turn Left when Donna tells the Doctor that the blonde girl told him to tell him two words, and she says "Bad Wolf" and he runs outside and just everything is Bad Wolf...I was literally screaming, I was so excited.

I will give Moffat credit with Amy Pond. When I watched the first episode of series 5, and I KNEW that the Doctor came back for Little Amy in the morning, because I heard the TARDIS wooshing. I think I even pointed that out you, Psy, and how I was confused and angry by that...and then come to find out, it's the last scene of the Ponds run. I mean, I thought that was brilliant, and the amount of planning that had to go into two and a half seasons before that moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

The first Doctor Who I ever saw was the 90's TV movie with Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor which American TV did its level best to ruin. This is also why Americans don't get to have opinions on Doctor Who
    Luckily Canadians still get to have opinions on Doctor Who, especially since we helped pay for series 2 and 3.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Speaking of Classic Who, I'd really like to work my way back and see every episode that's available. Sadly Netflix isn't really reliable with their selection of Classic Who, and there are huge gaps (that have nothing to do with certain episodes being available/in good condition).

Articles
    Blog Entries

What overarching stories, exactly? Bad Wolf ended up being just one big deus ex machina because there was a Dalek fleet that needed destroying and Torchwood was overshadowed by Daleks and Cybermen owning each other. I'll give you serials 3 and 4 but here's the whole problem I have with RTD, he'd back himself into a corner and then have to pull something out of his backside to keep everybody from dying like they would have otherwise. To each his own, though. I just feel so lonely in my Moffat love some times T_T

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just think Moffat has spent too much time wanking over River Song, and now Clara.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Ugh River Song. Any time she showed up I just felt like there was a big banner being waved around with "RIVER SONG IS THE GREATEST DO YOU LOVE HER AS MUCH AS I DO YET LOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE HEEEEEEEEER" on it. ._. I thought she was pretty cool, no need to smother me with her "awesomeness".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love River Song, but I felt it got to be a bit ridiculous. Same with Clara, I really liked her, despite the fact she hasn't really been given much characterization outside of being the Impossible Girl. But when I found out that she has basically saved the Doctor's life every time he's been in trouble, and she's been there for every major decision it's just like, ugh. Really?

Articles

Yep agree with the River thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

So he blunders with two characters and he's a worse showrunner than Davies?

I don't get it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's not about blundering with two characters. It's about making these characters the focus of the show.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It is all personal preference in the end.

I just haven't been hugely excited about Doctor Who for a while now, and I can say that I haven't been enjoying it as much since Moffat took over. I mean, it's still alright, but I don't eagerly await every Saturday evening anymore, and I often forget that Doctor Who is even a thing.

This past episode was a surprise in that I really did thoroughly enjoy it, and it did make me a little bit excited to see where we're going next, and this is the first time in years that I've felt this way about Doctor Who.