Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Man of Steel

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you don't go in to a movie about a super hero with your beliefs dispended, then you are doing it wrong. Although that article krissy linked is completely right. My problem with the film and even Avengers is just that: there is no forethought of all the destruction; it is just mindless ramapage of cities without the concern for its inhabitants.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I must admit as someone who hasn't read a single one of the comic books or seen more than a handful of episodes of the 1990s TV show I really liked the way he killed... the bad guy who's name I forgot... for some reason I keep thinking Loki but it's not. Anyway he left it just long enough to get those poor civvies all scared and then did it with a dignified snap of the neck. Considering the rest of the fight scenes I was half expecting him to pile drive one of the concrete pillars through his head. But no, cool points for the more dignified yet badass approach.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

To me it looked like those civilians could have just went to their left and ran away at any time. I was wondering why they didn't run away. The stairs weren't really in their way. Maybe it was just the point of view.

That movie was freakin epic. When all the soldiers put down their weapons and let him pass it moved me. Right in the feels. That last fight sequence with Superman throwing Zod through the air from building to building and the camera moving wiht him was such smurfing good editing/camerawork. Unbelieveable.

Also the collateral damage I thought was an excellent idea. This is the end of the world. People WILL DIE. He's not gonna save everyone like Smallville superman does. He's gotta think of the threat he's facing.

Lois was so pointless. Like they made her special for no reason other than she was Lois Lane lol. Whatever it didnt take away from the epicness.

Loved it overall. 8.5/10.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In the comic books though isn't she just Lois Lane? Nothing is really particularly special about the damsel in distress character like Mary Jane, Lois Lane, Peper Potts, or any other white girl I don't trout about. Give me some Wonder Woman already JUSTICE LEAGUE IS COMING MO FOS.

Also totally fake but squee:

Also the collateral damage was entirely mostly his fault as he didn't HAVE to throw them through all of those buildings to defeat them. Considering he doesn't like killing anything it didn't make sense to have him do that as it would another character like The Hulk who does do that a lot that and that basically would make sense.

While I think it is pointless to argue the obvious flaws in this movie as it was just made for entertainment value and is fictionalized anyway so you can make up anything, it would be nice if it actually did stick some what to the premise of where his character originated.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Also the collateral damage was entirely mostly his fault as he didn't HAVE to throw them through all of those buildings to defeat them.
    I don't want to get into some nitpicky debate again, but aside from him getting pissed and flying Zod through some buildings in Smallville when he went after Supes mommy, pretty much all of the other cases of someone getting punched through buildings were Zod punching Superman through them. I saw the movie again last night with my dad and you'd be surprised how little collateral damage is actually caused by Supes trying to beat up someone else. The other Kryptonians and the military both cause more damage than he's directly responsible for.

Oh god, what have I done? Better grab my parachute. I'm getting the smurf out of here.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

My problem with the film and even Avengers is just that: there is no forethought of all the destruction; it is just mindless ramapage of cities without the concern for its inhabitants.
    I don't know what version of The Avengers you saw, there are bits which have them trying to save people. And they don't all go demolishing buildings left, right and centre. There's a big difference between it and something like Man of Steel.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 06-24-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

So I enjoyed the film well enough.

Felt horribly paced at some parts, like I felt it was really really slow for over half the movie then suddenly bad guy/end game. I chalk that up to it being an origin story, with a lot of exposition they felt they needed to get out there.
    Also, as much as I love Amy Adams and I think she did a good job with what she was given... Lois Lane and everyone at the Daily Planet felt shoehorned in. Like they had to include them because it's a Superman movie and they need to be there. Their entire presence could have been removed and nothing in the movie would have changed.

Aside from that though, I thought it was fun. I liked the new guy as Superman, and General Zod was cool too. His female henchman, as has already been said, was awesome. Don't think I'd actively see it again, but definitely worth a watch.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    My problem with the film and even Avengers is just that: there is no forethought of all the destruction; it is just mindless ramapage of cities without the concern for its inhabitants.
    I don't know what version of The Avengers you saw, there are bits which have them trying to save people. And they don't all go demolishing buildings left, right and centre. There's a big difference between it and something like Man of Steel.
    I agree with this. I thought The Avengers was a decent example of how to do urban fighting and destruction well in comic book movies. Or, at least, how to handle it far, far better than Man of Steel. The Avengers characters actively try to save people, and aren't themselves responsible for nearly as much carnage.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe you should watch the ending of The Avengers again. Though true that they are mostly not the main cause of the destruction, they certainly did have a hand in it. Mostly I don't care though as I still enjoyed both films. I expect them to have mindless action.

I love almost all super hero films.

Sadly, I did not love Man of Steel. Then again, Superman has always been one of my least favorite super heroes, but even aside from that I didn't enjoy a lot of the film. Soooo much cg. Otherwise I did LOVE the cinematography minus the random zooming in (ie: at the begging the triple zoom shot of superman's abs. da fak). It was entertaining for what it was, and wasn't as bad as Spiderman 3, but it was no X-Men First Class or anything.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ThornQueen View Post
    ...and wasn't as bad as Spiderman 3...
    That's like saying an injury wasn't as painful as having all of your bones crushed one-by-one. It doesn't say much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Saw it tonight. I thought it was pretty boss, and a great example of a popcorn flick. Amy Adams was a pain in the ass though.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I agree with this. I thought The Avengers was a decent example of how to do urban fighting and destruction well in comic book movies. Or, at least, how to handle it far, far better than Man of Steel. The Avengers characters actively try to save people, and aren't themselves responsible for nearly as much carnage.
    The fact that The Avengers acknowledged the damage delighted me so much, because it's almost never acknowledged! Even as I was watching it, I remember just beaming because good ol' Joss, pulled through. He's always been able to handle the human element of big epic battles as well as the resulting loss and grief in a fairly poignant way. And I thought the way he worked it into the movie was so... Joss Whedon-y. I have a feeling that if it were another director, they might not have done such a decent job of it because most directors gloss over the whole thing completely, as it happened here in Man of Steel.

Banned

It was pretty good for a Superman film, I think. There was a lot of devastation, thanks to crappy missiles and the terraforming machine and especially Superman trying to fight Zod. It's really hard to imagine them trying to make a sequel because everything was just messed up. There was a line earlier in the film about Superman going to save "them all" and then so many people just die. It's almost comical!

It was nice to see him up against a challenge, too, without someone just showing up with a bag full of kryptonite. Perfect mister Superman is one of the most frustrating comic book heroes because there doesn't seem to be a lot of legitimate depth, but it was at least an interesting and action-packed film. Seeing him on fire was pretty awesome though!

Maybe it wasn't the best film ever but it was much better than I expected from Superman!