Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethnic foods?

Blog Entries

The truth is, Chris -loves- Mexican food. He's just in the closet about it. XD Either that or he's only eaten in sh*tty Mexican restaurants.

I like some Filipino food. And GUESS WHAT!?!?!?! Quite a bit of it is similar to -Mexican-. OMG No way! The BF made some kinda ground beef guisado whatever and I was like "...... This is Mexican, dude. We eat this ish on corn tortillas"... The only difference was the rice. And no tortillas. hurdy hurdy hurdy.

Why the similarities? Because Mejico and the Philippines were invaded by Spain around the same time. Or well, that's what my BF's bro-in-law tolds me.

Indian food I'm not a huge fan of, tbh. I made Korean BBQ once. It was good. With Jamaican Jerk chikkin wings.

Quote Originally Posted by noxious.sunshine View Post
    Irish food is really good, though I haven't had too many different dishes. Corned Beef & Cabbage is really good (My mom makes it every year on St. Patty's Day) as is Soda Bread, though the few times I make it, I don't put raisins in like other people might. Corned Beef is probably what's most popular state-side though. It's even better the next day on a sammich. XD

IMO, the best way to try any type of new cuisine is to find a recipe that -you- think looks good and make it yourself. That way you know what all goes in it and if there's a particular herb or ingredient you don't particularly like, you can use less or leave it out. I got adventurous enough to make Coq Au Vin once (I used Hubert Keller's recipe: Maine Lobster Macaroni and Cheese ?Au Gratin? ? Recipes ? Hubert Keller )... There's a lot of steps and it's a lot of work, but it turned out really good.

Cooking-wise, Mexican (yesh, I cook authentic ish) is my go-to.. It's cheap and easy... Unless you get into making tamales (which I did one night. It's not hard - getting the dough right is the biggest challenge, but assembling the damn things take -forever-. Never again) and the way I cook it, it's a lot healthier than what you'd find in a restaurant. Pati Jinich has a lot of good recipes on her website. But I love Mexican in general, and Italian, though I try to stay away from pastas and stuff now. But I like Chinese, Japanese, & Southern (yes, it -is- a type of cuisine)... Fried cube steak, Ham, Pinto Beans, & Corn Bread, baked mac & cheeze, fried chikkin... Mmmmmmm. yummeh. lulz.

EDIT:

Ignore the title of the link. It really does take you to the recipe for Coq Au Vin.

Also, Julia Child is kind of the Final Word on French Cooking. If you have a smartphone, go to tuebl.ca and just search "Cooking" - there's several of her cookbooks on there. They're all epub files and free to download. If you have an Android phone, MoonReader works best for viewing epub files and iPhone/iPad, I've been told Stanza works well.
    Thanks for the info. I love Mexican, it's also one of my favorites, and Japanese. I live in the South, so I think I've kind of gotten used to Southern food by now. It sort of bores me, tbh. Except for ribs; ribs are still delicious.

Indian food is one of the ones I've been wanting to try out the most. Idk if I'll like it or not. I heard it's extremely spicy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Indian food really isn't that spicy unless you ask for it spicy. But, you can get it VERY spicy...which is the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thai food is my favorite ever, of all time. Mexican is a super close second, followed by Italian. All of it is so, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    Indian food really isn't that spicy unless you ask for it spicy. But, you can get it VERY spicy...which is the best!
    Ah okay good. I don't think I would be able to handle all of that, lol.

I'm actually very limited to whenever it comes to different foods. I think these are the only ethnic foods I've ever eaten: Italian, American-Chinese, American-Japanese, Southern, American (in general), Mexican, French, and Greek. I don't think I've eaten anything outside of that very limited range. Honestly, that's one of the major reasons why I used to have a weight problem. I never got satisfied because all of the food I ate bored me, or whenever I did get to eat something "interesting" I still overate because I knew it wouldn't last for long.

Has anyone ever tried food from the Middle East? I know the different cuisines can vary wildly between countries, but has anyone tried some from that basic region?

Blog Entries

I've had Karen (one of the main tribes in Burma ya know.. The one the military was killing off) food.. I made one of my refugee kids bring me some one time.. I think it was fried pork skin. Wasn't great, wasn't horrible. That's not really the middle east though. I may have tried Iraqi food once, but I can't remember. Probably asked another one of my ESL kids to bring me something. XD

I heard Greek food is somewhat similar to Middle Eastern food, at least to Turkish food.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

French food.

Key to a French dish: Cream based sauce, drown it in butter, add cheese.

Blog Entries

Uh uh. Coq Au Vin has neither cream -or- cheese. ;p

Neither does Bouillabaise (sp?)

indian, mexican, maybe italian 3rd? yum

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ethnic food? Yeah I like donuts.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I have been pondering for ages about this, but what exactly is "Irish food"? Potatoes? Honestly, I can't think of any food that is traditionally Irish, not trying to be a dick or anything. It is possibly just living too close to the situation.

Blog Entries

Lamb can be considered traditional Irish food. Corned Beef, Shepherd's Pie, Soda Bread...

List of Irish dishes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

meh. Yeah, cop out reference, but at least it's a start.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Interesting. Many of those I would not have considered to be "Irish" as they're commonplace all over the UK. May have came from Ireland, but unidentifiable to me as Irish. Living too close to the situation. xD

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I love all the foods.
    I agree with this one. I can't really make a list of favourites because it'll probably change from one week to the next.