Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gameplay Trailer For Final Fantasy XV - #E32013

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Yeah, I don't really get that criticism. Is it because they have tall buildings? Is it because they have stairs and chairs inside households? Both of those things existed within all Final Fantasy games. I'm pretty sure any world featuring cities with people boating into the main area via an aquaduct highway, not to mention Leviathan and Behemoth and magic spells and all that, is very much a world of fantasy. As for classes - do you know that for sure? Also, they were gone in FFVII too, but that game didn't do too badly.

It amazes me how quick people are to write off this game.
    People take my words too literally, instead of trying to see the point I was trying to make. Obviously I feel *in my opinion* Final Fantasy titles shouldn't appear so "real" in terms of graphics. If people honestly thought I meant every single object in the video is compared as realistic in real life, then I don't really know what to say other than quit trying to find an argument out of nothing just because it is criticism to something you may enjoy.

Final Fantasy 7 sort of did have classes, it was more on their personality, limit breaks, and weapons. For example, it was pretty clear that Yuffie was a thief, Cid was a Dragoon, and Aerith was a White Mage - true, they didn't necessarily specialize in said class, however you could still feel a bond with them based off the classes Final Fantasy is known for.

Problem here is we view the word "fantasy" different. To me, that video didn't depict as much fantasy as something else would, the spells and summons simply looked out of place. When I see chocobos running around, moogles, cactuars, different "fantasy" landscapes, maybe my opinion will change, but for now I'm sticking with what I said.

Not trying to call you out, Bob, just thought your reply at least seemed thought provoking unlike the others.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

This would fall under the genre "urban fantasy" its a sub genre of fantasy.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Are you suggesting that Final Fantasy should have a more stylized art direction? If so, that boat sailed almost 15 years ago. Aside from Final Fantasy IX, no numbered entry in the Final Fantasy series has featured stylized art direction since consoles moved from sprites to polygons.

Despite being photo-realistic, I think you'd be hard-pressed to describe Final Fantasy XV as mimicking real life. In just these two most recent trailers, we've seen enormous examples of neo-gothic cathedrals built on the edges of waterfalls (seriously, take a look at the shot at 1:30 in the Sony press conference reveal trailer and tell me that city looks like anything other than pure fantasy), soldiers wearing full heavy plate armor with bucket helmets and machine guns, giant airships, monsters, magic, over-sized swords, and a main character who freaking teleports up the sides of buildings. I'm genuinely confused as to what more that you could possibly want.

It seems that you have an objection to urban fantasy, but urban fantasy is still fantasy, even though it may not be the type you prefer. But suggesting that urban fantasy is new to the series (and thus a surprise) is ingenuous. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X (to a lesser degree, but Bevelle and Zanarkand both qualify), and XIII all featured modern (or futuristic), urban locations set-pieces. I'd argue that aside from the cars and such, the cities we've seen so far are remarkably similar to Archades or Rabanastre from Final Fantasy XII in design.

And we've only seen small portions; FFXV allegedly features an enormous, open world. Who's to say that there aren't sprawling fields and mountains to traverse? I sincerely doubt that the entire game will take place in one city. Just because we haven't seen them yet doesn't mean that there won't be chocobos, moogles, and cactuars. We've seen a combined 8 minutes of footage from the most recent demo and trailer. It's probably a little early to start complaining about what is missing.

Edit: Beat to urban fantasy, but there it is.

FFXIV Character

Difference between those games and 15 is that 15 has much better graphics. Simply put, it's going to be hard to avoid a Space Jam problem once they introduce more cartoon types of characters. Honestly, once you start seeing chocobos or moogles, you don't feel like they'll be out of place? or simply forced into the game? How about a cactus with a face running around?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaotic View Post
    How about a cactus with a face running around?
    It is not like Noctis looks like the typical human being. He looks like an anime-hero like all the protagonists. I did not mind facing Cactuars with Terra, nor with Cloud, with Squall who even chased one with a mustache and I don't with Noctis either.

I totally agree with you what I see from the atmosphere and gameplay is not what I normally prefer for Final Fantasy. But I don't even know the final result and I am sure that I will not only enjoy things I wanted to be included and which will be shown but also many of the things which were not like in the normal Final Fantasys.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree if you want a stylized fantasy setting. This hasn't been the series for that kind of stuff for years.

I do see the criticism of having a 'too modern' world. I certainly wouldn't want to play a FF game set in Tokyo, and having Leviathan pop out of the ocean wouldn't be enough to offset the normality of the world. But clearly FFXV isn't going to be entirely like that. There's a floating castle for gods sake!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Yeah, you're barking up the wrong tree if you want a stylized fantasy setting. This hasn't been the series for that kind of stuff for years.

I do see the criticism of having a 'too modern' world. I certainly wouldn't want to play a FF game set in Tokyo, and having Leviathan pop out of the ocean wouldn't be enough to offset the normality of the world. But clearly FFXV isn't going to be entirely like that. There's a floating castle for gods sake!
    Fair enough, I'll agree that maybe the Tokyo lookalike area wasn't my cup of tea and it may have clouded my judgement on the rest of the game. I'll wait to see what else is revealed about the rest of the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The water is the worst place to be when Leviathan is around.
    The game looks fun, but the teleporting confuses me. I hope the game maintains classic FF elements such as magic, items, and summons. I think I saw a fire spell cast twice, but I'm not sure where it came from. That scene with the behemoth in the parking deck was cool, so was sword fighting with an iron giant and killing him with his own sword then torching his corpse.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember reading that Noctis can teleport to anywhere one of his swords is.

That video gave me the biggest metaphorical "WTF boner". In a good way

It was like God of War, and Xenoblade Chronicles had a baby in Grand Theft Auto land. And then just colored everything Final Fantasy for the decor. I can maybe understand where people are hesitating. But so far it looks like the first real effort since like ... a long time. Very long time

I'm genuinely stoked. And I honestly never thought I'd feel that way about a Final Fantasy release again. I really hope it pans out at LEAST better than FF13..

YOU DONT KNOW YET!?!?!? FFFFsephychibi's Avatar

Does anyone notice how like the last 30 seconds of this trailer looks like it's from FFVII? I don't think that original mood we got from the earlier trailers has disappeared entirely looks so exciting!

The trailer was beautiful. I hope that the game involves exploration/many routes rather than a totally rigid linear path.

Though the gameplay footage looks awesome I can imagine such scenarios to be confined to 'set piece' scenarios and I hope there is some genuine 'free roam' exploration as well as dramatic set piece moments.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

that's a big smurfin' sword

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Difference between those games and 15 is that 15 has much better graphics. Simply put, it's going to be hard to avoid a Space Jam problem once they introduce more cartoon types of characters. Honestly, once you start seeing chocobos or moogles, you don't feel like they'll be out of place? or simply forced into the game? How about a cactus with a face running around?
    My ability to exercise my imagination is not dependent upon the source material presented to me.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

How about a cactus with a face running around?
    I hope the cactus has a mustache like the one in FFVIII.