Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Games with the best writing

I have been in a big kick lately with trying to find games with good writing/storytelling, partially for myself and partially for a blog I am putting together about writing which I'll use as a teacher. Anyways, I want to know what you all think are the best video games you have played so far in terms of the writing (ie: plot, script, characters, world, etc.). I'm looking for all around good writing, but if you think a game does some aspect of writing exceptionally well, mention it here too. Thank you!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri which not only does hard sci-fi better than any other video game I've ever played, but does it better than most books as well.

Morrowind does an amazing job with the world and lore, but the characters can admittedly come off as a bit stilted.

Deus Ex and Deus Ex: HR are pretty all around brilliant when it comes to writing.

The Walking Dead. I haven't finished it yet and it's already on the list. Great dialogue.

Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Trigger, Max Payne.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    The Walking Dead. I haven't finished it yet and it's already on the list. Great dialogue.
    Definitely agree here. TWD is pretty much all about the writing.

I think the Uncharted series has some of the best writing in a game. ME2 was also pretty good.

For older games, it's hard to beat classics like Chrono Trigger and Metal Gear Solid, as zx12y alluded to.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lost Odyssey, Thousand Years of Dreams. Them feels.

Might as well list everything from BioWare and Obsidian/Black Isle. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, KotOR 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3, Dragon Age 1 and 2. Though BioWare is a bit better with character presentation and development, but their plots are still good

Alan Wake would be an interesting example though. It has a good story, interesting and believable characters, and its actually about a story writer and his story

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    KInd of sad the Thousand Years of Dreams was infinately more interesting then the rest of the game.

For different reasons, both Persona 3 and 4 are the best written games I've seen. Definately check those out.

All the Xeno games have a lot of great writing... Though tend to be bogged down by some pretty bad parts.

Mana Khemia may have the best written character relationships of any game I've seen, as well as one of the best pulled off depressing moments in a video game, the moment in question working so well due to the stark contrast with the overall feel of the rest of the game.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I remember being hooked on the Thousand Years of Dreams when I played the game. Shame I no longer have a 360 to play that game with. And I think a friend of mine borrowed that game and never gave it back. That's definitely something I'll need to bring up in my blog. I'll also definitely mention the Xeno games a bit simply because I'm familiar with them. I will definitely mention The Walking Dead as well based on the little I've played of it.

I might have to pick up the Mana Khemia game some day to check it out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you want to talk about the actual words in the script writing as opposed to the broad strokes of the storytelling then look at anything localized by Alexander O Smith and Joseph Reeder. They've also gotten better with time So their latest stuff might be their best.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Just wait until you get to the end of it all. I think they had to actually install new feelings in me to cover the full range that I felt.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Kind of sad the Thousand Years of Dreams was infinately more interesting then the rest of the game.
    Haha, aye. I mean, the game was a solid 7/8 for me, but the Dreams really are the most memorable thing. I'd advise going on YouTube and watching them (because they REQUIRE sound ) rather than playing the game for them. xD

Second one, and I know how weird it may sound, but trust me: Spec Ops: The Line. Some of the best writing, character development and subject handling in gaming.

Dark Souls > All.

There, I said it. Praise the sun.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Articles
    Blog Entries

Bioshock: Infinite. My favourite story in a game I think, and it really helps that the way it's told and the characters that deliver the story are top class.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm guessing that the Final Fantasy series goes without saying.