Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As If Microsoft Didn't Do Enough Bad Stuff During E3...

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    It looks like even the government is against the XBox One. Or at least, the eternally active cameras that come with it.

I think what the government is doing is reasonable. I mean, privacy is a right that should never be invaded upon. Sure, the government wants cameras in places like buses and banks, but it's not like they'd go so far as to stick security cameras into every house.

...I feel quite bad doing nothing but saying anti-Microsoft things here on EoFF. That's all I seem to ever be posting about recently. Well, given that I've practically given up on this place due to how fed up I am with all the PC Gaming biasedness here on EoFF, it's probably better for me to not post here as much than to always start flame wars with PC fans.
    To avoid the pro-PC issues, just stay out of the console threads. Make threads for games you want to discuss. There are tons of console and handheld games out there that I'm sure some people would like to discuss. Or post in the FF section of the forums, no PC talk there.

Admittedly, there are a lot of PC gamers here, but they do tend to keep the pro-PC discussion to threads where it is relevant, so just avoid that type of discussion and keep to threads on the fun discussion topics: Games.

Anyway, back on topic: I'm not exactly surprised. The whole "right to privacy" thing has really gotten to be quite big these days. Personally, I hate the idea of the always-on sensors and such anyway, so I don't really mind.

Quote Originally Posted by HasteInTime
    I can see the point there. Although I must point out that the Kinect is not always on in terms of the Camera itself which is only on when the console is and the Dev can disable that for a game. While the X1 is off, the Kinect's mic is only on standby always listening for a phrase- that is "Xbox On!" that's it. It never records anything according to Microsoft themselves. To me it wont matter, for others I can see an issue with the requirements of online, that being a 24 hour check and the used games bit but honestly and personally
    This may be true, but you're talking technical details of something that is being marketed to a broad, casual audience. When you boil it down, people will hear and understand the "always on" microphone, and not realize (or, to a degree, care about) the qualifications on it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Well, given that I've practically given up on this place due to how fed up I am with all the PC Gaming biasedness here on EoFF
    I find this incredibly amusing because of all the gaming forums I've been to this one is, by far, the most console gaming-oriented

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Xbox One price defended by Microsoft: "We're over-delivering value" - Gaming News - Digital Spy

"It's a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," Mattrick explained.

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product these days you look at - $499 isn't a ridiculous price point.

"We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it.

"We're really making the living room your centre of fun for your family."

Discuss. It has to be said, Microsoft do love to play their own trumpet.
    BUT I DON'T NEED THE LIVING ROOM TO BE THE CENTER OF FUN, I WANT MY PARENTS' BASEMENT, WHERE I LIVE, TO BE THE CENTER OF FUN

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You know what over delivers on value?
    Don Mattrick.
    That guy is a gold mine for hilarious quotes!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Well, given that I've practically given up on this place due to how fed up I am with all the PC Gaming biasedness here on EoFF
    I find this incredibly amusing because of all the gaming forums I've been to this one is, by far, the most console gaming-oriented
    Indeed. How many of us even play mostly PC games and talk about them a lot? I have trouble thinking of many more people than you, MILF and me. There are other heavy PC gamers around here, but I'm not sure they bring it up as often.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Navy publication blasts Xbox One - GameSpot.com

Lovin' the last line. Oh, that Mattick.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony RoB View Post
    Navy publication blasts Xbox One - GameSpot.com

Lovin' the last line. Oh, that Mattick.
    You mean this one?
    Xbox executive Don Mattrick speaks his mind on Xbox One bashing - E3 2013 - YouTube

This guy is comedy genius. He is even making the Xbox One sound worse than it actually is.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Seems like Microsoft has backtracked. I am not 100% sure yet but it seems so.
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

If that is true, well done to all gamers who made a good stink about this, and well done to Sony for doing nothing (I.E. Not going with Microsoft). In this case doing nothing, changing nothing, meant everything.
    If this was being pushed by publishers, it would have been so easy for them to follow suit.
    Apparently gamers CAN make a difference, even to a horrible company like Microsoft.
    Last edited by Croyles; 06-19-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Yeah, the whole "if you don't like the XBox One, buy the XBox 360" line is horrible. It's disrespectful, bad marketing, and so much more harm than good came out of that line.

Here's some good news for those hoping XBox One policies won't become an industry standard. Supposedly, Amazon preorders for the XBox One are doing really poorly, so that'll hopefully send them the message that very few people actually approve of their anti-consumer policies.

@ Pike: Well, that explains why google is the most used search engine and not bing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    To avoid the pro-PC issues, just stay out of the console threads. Make threads for games you want to discuss. There are tons of console and handheld games out there that I'm sure some people would like to discuss. Or post in the FF section of the forums, no PC talk there.

Admittedly, there are a lot of PC gamers here, but they do tend to keep the pro-PC discussion to threads where it is relevant, so just avoid that type of discussion and keep to threads on the fun discussion topics: Games.
    Sticking to game discussion... yeah, it seems like a good way to repel the PC Fans. And even if they do post their PC praising in threads talking about specific games not for PC, they're more likely to get in trouble and get warned for it than if they were posting their PC praising in a console thread (though I still think posting PC praise in dedicated gaming console threads is spam and off topic). Thanks Skyblade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Indeed. How many of us even play mostly PC games and talk about them a lot? I have trouble thinking of many more people than you, MILF and me. There are other heavy PC gamers around here, but I'm not sure they bring it up as often.
    It's not so much PC game discussion being the issue. It's more of a lot of threads having off topic posts about "PC gaming being the best."

Yeah, EoFF has its share of gaming console discussion.

Then it has plenty of posts like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    This is why I'm glad I have a PC and don't deal with any of this next gen console crap.
    I'm sick of dealing with posts like these in practically every gaming console thread posted here on EoFF. It's all fine and dandy that you prefer PC gaming the best, but I'd rather not have to hear about it in every console thread and have traditional gaming consoles bashed on in those posts. This wasn't the EoFF I knew and loved back then.

There's quite a lot of situations that people use to take the opportunity to praise and promote PC gaming. I guess that case isn't so bad since it was its own separate thread. Still, it gets annoying having to see it in the majority of General Gaming Threads.

Plenty of non-PC console threads on EoFF get derailed into "PC being the best gaming console ever." There's plenty of forums and communities where I never have to deal with such PC biasedness, such as Serenes Forest, GameFAQs, YouTube, and Miiverse.

Maybe this "PC Biasedness Discussion" should be moved to a separate topic.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It does not need a separate topic since it will just turn into a flame war and for every "hurr durr good thing I'm a PC gamer" there is at least one "hurr durr good thing I'm a console gamer" comment on this forum - I'm not going to go linking them but I'm thinking of very specific examples from specific people that I will not name. It goes both ways.

And now, back to the topic at hand, please.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just ignore it. I've never played PC games and as far as I'm concerned, if they think PS is the best ever then good for them. I disagree. It doesn't really bother me. I don't feel that they've been rude or pushy about it. I'm sorry it does bother you though. I know it sucks to go to a forum for fun and end up being upset by it .

Glad Microsoft is backtracking instead of being stubborn about this. They pretty much had to change it if they wanted to remain successful, I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the whole "if you don't like the XBox One, buy the XBox 360" line is horrible. It's disrespectful, bad marketing, and so much more harm than good came out of that line.

Here's some good news for those hoping XBox One policies won't become an industry standard. Supposedly, Amazon preorders for the XBox One are doing really poorly, so that'll hopefully send them the message that very few people actually approve of their anti-consumer policies.

@ Pike: Well, that explains why google is the most used search engine and not bing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Sticking to game discussion... yeah, it seems like a good way to repel the PC Fans. And even if they do post their PC praising in threads talking about specific games not for PC, they're more likely to get in trouble and get warned for it than if they were posting their PC praising in a console thread (though I still think posting PC praise in dedicated gaming console threads is spam and off topic). Thanks Skyblade.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    It's not so much PC game discussion being the issue. It's more of a lot of threads having off topic posts about "PC gaming being the best."

Yeah, EoFF has its share of gaming console discussion.

Then it has plenty of posts like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    This is why I'm glad I have a PC and don't deal with any of this next gen console crap.
    I'm sick of dealing with posts like these in practically every gaming console thread posted here on EoFF. It's all fine and dandy that you prefer PC gaming the best, but I'd rather not have to hear about it in every console thread and have traditional gaming consoles bashed on in those posts. This wasn't the EoFF I knew and loved back then.

There's quite a lot of situations that people use to take the opportunity to praise and promote PC gaming. I guess that case isn't so bad since it was its own separate thread. Still, it gets annoying having to see it in the majority of General Gaming Threads.

Plenty of non-PC console threads on EoFF get derailed into "PC being the best gaming console ever." There's plenty of forums and communities where I never have to deal with such PC biasedness, such as Serenes Forest, GameFAQs, YouTube, and Miiverse.

Then don't you think it's your duty as an EoFFer to bring your perspective to the sub-forum? A platform-skew is one of the lamest things a community could have...

On the other multiplatform communities I go to, PC gamers typically stick to the subforum... here, where it's all together, I guess it's just inevitable that it comes out in General Gaming. We have had a good deal of orgy threads lately, but a lot of those comments were mostly jokes or posters relatively new to PC gaming who are still in the honeymoon period.

It's kind of a fad right now. It's funny to see journalists on Destructoid or Gametrailers praise PC as all they'd ever need, but when you check their Steam accounts they've only been members for 2-3 years (SPOILER)9 biiitchesss....

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Put your tampons back in, lads. When discussing gaming, the PC functions just as the consoles do, so it's not exactly off-topic to talk about it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    It's kind of a fad right now. It's funny to see journalists on Destructoid or Gametrailers praise PC as all they'd ever need, but when you check their Steam accounts they've only been members for 2-3 years (SPOILER)9 biiitchesss....
    In fairness a lot of hardcore PC gamers avoided Steam for a long, long time because they didn't like it or had limited internet access/poor connections or so forth. I was one of those people myself.

Anyways as Quin said it's just a platform. I play a lot of games with my Xbox 360 controller. There is absolutely no difference between playing, say, Skyrim on my PC and playing it on my 360, the PC is just slightly more convenient for me. It's still the same game.

Now can we get back on topic? xD

Alright, since it's my fault the thread got derailed, I'll help get it back on track.

So how many of XBox One's policies do you think will be reversed/removed? They've already remedied the always online because of complaints of military personnel not being able to enjoy the XBox One in their down time. And since the always on Kinect was opposed by the government, they'll likely be doing something to remedy that as well.

Sadly, I don't see the "anti-used game" policies being removed, at least for the first 1 or 2 years. I mean, would that really make Microsoft that much extra money, making people pay to use a game on a different console than the one that the game was initially played on? Didn't they expect more people to ditch XBox than actually stand for policies as greedy as that?