Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping EoFF and IRL separate

Articles
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo Keeping EoFF and IRL separate

I was having an interesting conversation with Parker and it led me to this thread.

I'll keep it brief, because I am known for rambling on and on, but basically, do you keep your world here in EoFF completely separate from your 'real life'? Would you be embarrassed if your 'real life' friends found out you regularly go on a Final Fantasy forum? Do your friends and family know?

For me, I'm very much embarrassed if any mention of EoFF ventures outside it's realms. If someone posted something on facebook about EoFF, I'd be... not angry, or even annoyed. But I'd try and brush it under the carpet as much as possible, so to speak. It's not that I'm embarrassed of EoFF itself - It's my third family in my eyes and I love it to bits. But I'd be embarrassed if my 'real life' friends found out. I don't want to be labelled a geek as such (even though I look like one) and it being made public knowledge that I go on a gaming forum is hardly helping that much.

But I digress. What are you guys like then on this issue?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't keep them separate. EoFF is pretty much my social circle until I make friends . Other than that, I mean, I don't really care about what people think about the fact that I'm on a Final Fantasy Forum. If they seriously make fun of me for something I do on my personal time, not sure they're worth my time.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

You are embarrassed of us. How sad.

I don't actively tell people, but I don't actively tell people about myself in general anyway. It's not a case of being ashamed or embarrassed, I just don't see a need to tell everyone that I love anime and video games.
    If someone were to see me a'browsin' EoFF and asked what it was, I'd tell them. I am a massive nerd, and I'm quite happy to share that, if questioned. xD

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I used ot be. But i've embraced my inner nerd and post about it and befriend people etc. If i'm ashamed of it, then why would I enjoy it?

But aside from that, I have never been particularly bothered if people know about my web browsing history, they always know I am a massive geek from all RPG paraphernalia I have, and all the consoles I own as well.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I don't keep them seperate. Granted I don't go around telling everyone about it either outside of sharing a few thread links on Facebook. But if someone asks I'll tell them and I won't shy away from mentioning it if someone asks what I've been up too etc. Odds are in this day and age that most people frequent some websites, they might not actively contribute to them of course but everyone has their own little dirty internet secret.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

My EoFF friends are very important to me and The Summoner of Leviathan has met a few of my "irl" friends. When it boils down to it, there isn't much of a difference between my "irl" friends and EoFF friends for me. It only feels weird talking about my online friends because some people frown upon it. I don't go out of my way to talk about it but it's hard not to.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

I never actively connect the two, buit I never hide the links either. Translated that means I'd never invite a mate here as NONE would be interested but if someone here mentioned it on myu bakebook I wouldn't give a trout.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Would you be embarrassed if your 'real life' friends found out you regularly go on a Final Fantasy forum?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Do your friends and family know?
    Ahaha what friends? My family doesn't know but they wouldn't be surprised if they found out. They knew I had that WoW blog and fanbase after all.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I don't actively tell people, but I don't actively tell people about myself in general anyway. It's not a case of being ashamed or embarrassed, I just don't see a need to tell everyone that I love anime and video games.
    If someone were to see me a'browsin' EoFF and asked what it was, I'd tell them. I am a massive nerd, and I'm quite happy to share that, if questioned. xD
    Yeah, pretty much what I was gonna say. Apart from the anime thing, that's just for neeeerds.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Pantz View Post
    Yeah, pretty much what I was gonna say. Apart from the anime thing, that's just for neeeerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Ahaha what friends?
    Are you also... full of hate :kaofight:

Quote Originally Posted by Pantz View Post

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Tardar Sauce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Ahaha what friends?
    Are you also... full of hate :kaofight:
    No, I'm full of bashfulness.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I used ot be. But i've embraced my inner nerd and post about it and befriend people etc. If i'm ashamed of it, then why would I enjoy it?
    I feel somewhat similarly on this issue. Not actively wanting to discuss a topic is feeling ashamed of it. When I was in my previous Job I was ashamed to let people know i liked anime, so I never told anyone. It's not like I will actively go out my way to hide it, but If someone were to ask me about my interests I would always lead with games and hide anime until it was prompted by the other party. The feeling to me is that I am not ashamed of who I am, I just don't go out my way to let people know all of my stranger interests.

I think there is a similar situation here. You aren't embarrassed or ashamed by your lifestyle, but at the same time you'd rather people didn't ask too much about it. If it were to come up in coversation though, I doubt you'd have much of an issue talking about it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not ashamed of it, but I don't actively talk about it either. This is mainly because I have maybe two friends who actually share an interest in Final Fantasy, and I have talked about EoFF with them. I have a couple of family members I would talk about EoFF with, but I haven't heard from those family members in a long time. I never hide when I'm on here and other people are around, and I would talk about it if anyone asked me about it. It all depends on if my friends would be interested if I would bring it up.