Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14242829303132333435363738394044 ... LastLast

Thread: BoB's Top 100 Games

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Excelsior is a really fun game. The "Phase One" had me confused though. I never realized that there was a Phase Two. Have you played it? If so, how is it in comparison?
    I haven't, actually, although I mean to. I'm told it's not as good, though.
    once BoB is finished.
    Happy new year, buddy!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Ya'll should just do it my way and put your entire list in the opening post.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

That would probably generate around 50 posts, while this has generated nearly 500 already. Justified!

...Wow, a game I'd never even heard of. Good job BoB!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

37. Final Fantasy XIV (as it was at patch 1.23)
    PC, 2010

At the time I made this list, I was still learning the ropes regarding A Realm Reborn, so this placement is based on the game as it was at patch 1.23. The old game started with all kinds of issues that left most people not bothering to subscribe. Once Yoshi-P took over, though, things started a notable turn for the better.

There are still a number of things I miss about the older game. Helping people in need on your own server was much more rewarding than it is now, and it was far, far easier to make friends. The social aspect was awesome. I loved going into Ul'dah when I was bored, waiting for a person to shout for a L50 quest they needed help with and tagging along with them. I met so many prominent members of the Fat Chocobos linkshell this way, and it's rare that we'll ever get someone new outside of EoFF these days. It still happens, just not to the same degree. Oh, and crafting mattered a lot more in 1.23 and I appreciated that a lot. I can't wait for crafting to take a turn for the better in ARR! I'm sure it'll happen.

I think A Realm Reborn would occupy a similar-ish position if I were to rate it as it is now. I'm not sure. I never ran out of things to do in the old game, and that was without even touching endgame. In this version, I find myself missing that feeling. I'm sure after a patch or two, though, there will be enough to keep even me satisfied. Hopefully with a lot more on-your-own-world partying, because that's how I make friends, and an MMO - to me, at least - is designed for that kind of social interaction.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is Realm Reborn going to be separately on the list?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nope.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Out of curiosity then - if you were were going to re-rank the list now, would you place FFXIV higher?

Not even poking fun at you for playing it all the time, I'm actually curious!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Did you read the last paragraph? xD About the same. Really hard to say if it would go higher or lower as it's really different and has it's ups and downs. I probably like the crafting/economy, "no GCD" battle system and the social options (as in, how you can party up) of it better in the old game, and I like the volume of people I can now be social with from EoFF along with pretty much all other things (so, UI, maps/environments, fight mechanics, dungeons) better in the new game. So it's very tricky to call. I think this one is more sustainable in the long run, so I think SE did the right thing. Just tough to call whether or not that is what I prefer.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay I swear I read your post but somehow didn't see that line in the last paragraph xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

I might check this game out when it comes to ps4, some of my friends play it on ps3 and there's actually a crazy sale on that version right now. I just feel bad because I know I should pay more Guild wars 2 instead...

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm actually kind of sad I missed out on the original XIV despite how much of a mess people considered it to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Apologies, I've been pretty busy lately at work which is normally where I post these from! Not to mention that whole transferring ownership of EoFF thing being quite the distraction, Ciddies and FFXIV too.

36. The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis
    PC, 1996

When I was 15 I got my leg broken through Extreme Footbraking. This resulted in me spending a lot of time in a hospital bed, and after a while they felt I should be given some kind of entertainment. What this meant is they would wheel a computer desk next to my hospital bed and I would play the crap out of the Logical Journey of the Zoombinis, which is one of the greatest educational video games of all time. I don't care that it's easy, I love logic puzzles so much that it didn't even matter that the game was probably aimed at a notably younger generation.

This game was a genuinely fun and simple way for me to pass time back then, but I look back at it fondly for being exactly that - a fun time waster. It had a bit of a "gotta catch 'em all" thing going on with it, with the town buildings you could collect or something (I think? It's been a while) and of course there was the Lemmings aspect of "gotta save 'em all" too. While I don't think I'd opt to play this game ahead of some of the other games on this list these days, back then it was the kind of easy thing I needed to destress with and it did the trick perfectly. I imagine if I'd played it when I was closer to eight years old then I might have actually considered it ahead of other games, too!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OH YES YES YES. smurfING YES. BOB YOU ARE MAGNIFICENT, YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD. OH GOD YES. ZOOMBINIS, HELL YES.

Absolutely loved this game as a kid. They'd let us play it sometimes in primary school. Some of the puzzles could be pretty challenging for my young mind.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Zoombinis are the best.