Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EoFF Book Club - September Edition: Gone Girl

Banned

oooh, Ender's Game is something I have been meaning/wanting to read for ages. I love Sci-Fi!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Got this on my Kindle today, and am getting through! Not much to comment on for the first two Chapters though. xD

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I read somewhere once that if you didn't read this book when you were a young person, it wouldn't have the same impression on you as if you read it when you were an adult. That's actually probably true for a good deal many books, though.

I've read this book over and over for the past fourteen years or so and I know it like the back of my hand, but I don't really know what to say in observance of these first couple of chapters. I've never had to explain why I love it, really. I love the way they're written, I love the way there are all of these unexplained words and situations (saving the world, the monitor, Third, buggers) yet the familiar instance of a small, young child sitting in a doctor's office, which is something we've surely all experienced. Questions about the monitor and the buggers start to get their answers and we're introduced to Peter. The contention he feels at home with his brother, who is the most dangerous person he's ever known and Valentine, who he loves dearly and has always been there for him to stand between Peter and Ender. It's all very real and human to me, even in this time that seems so different from ours, and I have to remind myself that these are children and not adults playing these parts.

I've always found myself relating strongly to Valentine (and her alias, which was my original screenname upon joining these forums back in 2001 and has continued to be an alias of mine that I use online). Beside Ender, she is undoubtedly my favorite character. And as much as I'd like to hate Peter, his character is pure unfiltered genius, so I can't.

By the way, if anyone needs a copy of this to read, I have a .txt version I can send to you if you don't care enough to go out and purchase or rent a copy yourself~ It's not quite the same because it's missing some formatting and such (is Italics really such a big deal, though?) and isn't perhaps completely ideal, but I suppose it's the same thing as reading on a kindle or something. Or there's a PDF version here that appears to be pretty accurate (but I believe is also missing some formatting).

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

im not gonna read it with yo uguys this month as im making my little bro read my copy so that the movie doesnt ruin the story for him

its one of my faves

i read it as an adult

I do need to read more. Or at least take a break from A Song of Ice and Fire for a while. But I can't bring myself to read Ender's Game. I know I'm troutting on the parade by bringing politics into a book club, but giving Orson Scott Card money so he can fuel his homophobic nonsense isn't something I can do. Do me a solid and steal his book and pirate the upcoming movie adaption. Ya know, since you all owe me for the big load of nothing I've done for you and the world at large.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's true that Orson Scott Card is a homophobic asshole, but if you can separate who the author is from his novel, you'll be better off for it. As far as I can tell, there are no underlying homophobic tones in this book.

And if you don't want to give him money for it, use the PDF version I linked to above.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Just reached Chapter 11. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I feel like I'm just getting to the point that stuff is gonna happen, there's mainly been a lot of build up so far. Here's to the payoff!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The copy I am reading is a revised and altered version because Orson Scott Card got a case of George Lucasitis and I can see every little word and change that has been made and it is driving me nuts.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ender's Game is a great book, however I've read it too many times to be included in this

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    read it too many times
    This is a nonsense statement. ;D

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I do need to read more. Or at least take a break from A Song of Ice and Fire for a while. But I can't bring myself to read Ender's Game. I know I'm troutting on the parade by bringing politics into a book club, but giving Orson Scott Card money so he can fuel his homophobic nonsense isn't something I can do. Do me a solid and steal his book and pirate the upcoming movie adaption. Ya know, since you all owe me for the big load of nothing I've done for you and the world at large.
    I don't blame you, as that's exactly why I won't be seeing the movie in theaters. I don't demand artists and authors to whom I give money to be impeccable people, but, at a minimum, I require them to not actively advocate for baseless prejudice and discrimination against other people. I already have an old copy of Ender's Game, though I haven't read it since I found out what a horrific asshole Orson Scott Card is. Just another reason it'll be interesting to see whether and how my opinion has changed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Well, I got this finished the other day.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. (SPOILER)I totally called that he was actually fighting the buggers in the end. :}

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    The copy I am reading is a revised and altered version because Orson Scott Card got a case of George Lucasitis and I can see every little word and change that has been made and it is driving me nuts.

Is there a lot altered in the revised version? I think that's the only one I've ever read so I'd be interested in looking at the original version if it's better. Unfortunately, my older edition I had was given to a friend so I no longer have access to it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's just little words and written/added phrases. Nothing major. I'm just a stickler is all!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I've read Ender's Game, so we'll see if I feel like/am able to finish it in time. In any case, I'd love to get in on this moving on since I've been terribly lazy with reading forever.