Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The nerds with a passion for fashion!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The nerds with a passion for fashion!

RPGs have lots of stuff. Are you a stats gamer, or a looks gamer?

I will very often sacrifice statistical benefits for the sake of looking as cool as possible. In Skyrim, I currently wear Master Robes with Blades Gauntlets and Boots. I usually rely of Skin spells for defence, because my god I die quickly. But it looks coooool, man. Cooooooool.

Morrowind and Dragon's Dogma are great games for someone like me. They, as one would in real life, allow you to wear some clothing with armour, and Morrowind even lets you customise pauldrons! It makes me happy making a heavily armoured left arm for my shield-bearing warrior, as I can keep his right arm light for quick attacks with his short swords.

Ooh, Mount and Blade is also great for this. I love looking cool!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I would love it if more games had it so that you could make armour look p much however you want, and then your own crafting skill dictates how awesome it is. It allows for more customisation for everyone's characters rather than, say in Skyrim's case, everyone in Daedric.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    I will very often sacrifice statistical benefits for the sake of looking as cool as possible.
    Yep, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I will very often sacrifice statistical benefits for the sake of looking as cool as possible.
    Yep, absolutely.
    As would I.

And is it sad that the huge customization/dress up options are part of why I'm so looking forward to Lightning Returns?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I had hoped this thread would be about the game Style Savvy.

I tend to not give a crap what I look like and worry about stats more, but then again I'm so stellar that I usually end up looking like a badass anyway.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    I tend to not give a crap what I look like and worry about stats more, but then again I'm so stellar that I usually end up looking like a badass anyway.
    Yep, same goes for me. I mean I have some favorite sets of armor and whatnot but I'm not going to sacrifice stats for looks.

Blog Entries

Getting your ass handed to you because your stats suck doesn't look cool at all, though. In a lot of games, if I have the ability to edit the stats of armor in any way, or if I'm able to mod the way it looks, then I'll do so. That way I'll have the awesome stats and look cool. However, if I can't, then I'll just worry about the stats. Looking cool doesn't matter as much as saving money on health potions and beating up enemies more quickly.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I am with MILF and Pike -- utility over looks. I am all stats, all the time. I will unhesitatingly kick your fashionable asses all over the place with the objectively best equipment available.

Originality over everything. I try to use equipment hardly anyone uses and act like the underdog.

It depends actually.

In a game like Skyrim or a lot of linear RPG's that change appearance based on outfit, I'll typically grab the best due to just how big a difference there is.

In a game like White Knight Chronicles where the differences between the three top tear armors was pretty small, I'd go for looks.

We need more games to go that route where you have multiple sets of armor at similar or Identical stats with different looks, or the ability to craft your armor to look different yet retain the same effects to add variety.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I definitely go for stats. If I'm not steamrolling things, then I'm doing it wrong (or the game is really hard ).

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dark Souls is a great game in which skill greatly outweighs stats, so there's another one to add to my fashionista list.

Articles
    Blog Entries

In Guild Wars 2, I'd sacrifice a little bit of stats for better fashion all the time. That's also a game where your skills and game knowledge always goes a lot further than a few points on the character sheet, so it was worth it. The dying system is pretty fantastic as well, so fashionistas have a lot going for them in that game.

In the Elder Scrolls I tend to go around without a helmet pretty frequently, but when it comes to hardcore spelunking, I gotta completely suit up for that.

In Skyrim, I typically wear weak armor that I've boosted at a forge. I prefer style. But then again, I also prefer a challenge. If I have souped up Daedric crap on all the time, I can just walk through the game. But if I can die in 4 or 5 hits, then its more satisfying, and slightly more realistic. I'll go for style every time, because it makes it feel more believable to me. I don't really like that Final Fantasy complex, where you're basically a god by the end of the game and nothing can touch you

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I turn all my RPGs into fashion shows.
    I'll kick your asses while looking absolutely fabulous.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy