Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Awful Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa's Boobs View Post
    I do just want to point out that merging in front of you and cutting you off aren't the same thing.
    No, but most people mean that someone merged in front of them when they said "that guy cut me off!!!!!!"

If you drive assuming that everyone around is a terrible, dangerous, and reckless driver, then your odds of getting in an accident are tremendously diminished at basically no meaningful time cost.

Blog Entries

I see a need to honk my horn too, especially when I've had to sit behind people who didn't move when the light turned green. It's not rude (not paying attention to lights when there are other cars behind you IS rude, however), and that's what the horn is there for, after all. So you can use it when it's appropriate.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Articles
    Blog Entries

Everything said so far that Pike hates and gets mad about also annoys the trout out of me.

Also for the UKers, the other day Locky informed me that you guys use MPH over there D: the Americanisation is strong in you.

Blog Entries

Honking is fine if it's to alert others to your presence.

The roads are fine. Granted, they might be much worse in the winter.

People just drive like pusses. I was taught to be a really aggressive driver. I'm not a dick about it. I don't ride people's asses or drive on the shoulder. I always, always, ALWAYS use my turn signal, and I actually slow down and don't slam on my breaks. I do honk at people, but only when they sit too long at a green light, or you cut me off/endanger me, or you're going 15 under on a road where I can't pass you (unless the weather is bad).

But I have a lead foot. GET OVER IT.
    No offence, because you're generally awesome, but your driving attitude is kind of frighteningly arrogant. Kind of like Jeremy Clarkson with tits. I don't think I'd like you on the roads much.

Aggressive is not the way to drive (as many people far more qualified than I have said in many places), and I hope it's not too hard if you learn it the hard way... like when my otherwise lovely uncle got a lead foot and left behind 2 kids and a single mother, one of many statistics

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Yeah, nah, I don't buy it. If there's a speed limit, it's there for a reason. Those guys who lay the roads down are way smarter than I am.

Besides it's not like going ten over the speed limit is going to save you any more than like 15 seconds in the long run on most trips. I go full schadenfreude when some speeder passes me and then gets stopped at a red light. CONGRATS ON THINKING YOU'RE SAVING TIME WHEN YOU'RE ACTUALLY NOT, BRO
    Roads certainly have a design speed, but you probably don't know what it is. Mostly it's going to be related to the steepness of curves or visibility. The observation appears to be that most drivers will drive whatever speed they feel comfortable on a given road, and it tends to follow a bell curve of sorts.

At least in theory, many traffic engineers recommend setting the speed limit at the 85th percentile. Of course, the interstates in and around Milwaukee are for some reason set at 55mph, which as far as I've observed, can't be much better than the 10th percentile. (I always drive at or very near the speed limit, and I am lucky to ever pass anyone driving in Milwaukee.) Meanwhile, in Montana and North Dakota, where the speed limit is 75mph on I-90/I-94, I am very rarely passed and am passing people all day.

I especially like the people who blasted past me at 85 or something, only to slow down to 70 after they pulled in front of me. Yeah, thanks guys.

If there were no speed limits, I'm not entirely sure what I'd do. On one hand, I'm perfectly comfortable driving way faster than most drivers, but on the other hand, fuel economy drops rapidly as speed increases. I suspect I'd say screw fuel economy and just go however fast I felt comfortable given the road and traffic conditions. Who knows.

There is no way to peace; peace is the way.
    Final Fantasy IV Knowledge Base | Free Talk Live

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I never use my horn when people are nutjobs because I'm too busy trying not to be in a car accident to beep.

Also this one time I was doing ~5kph over the speed limit and this ass was tailgating me. I slowed down and a few moments later the asshole got pulled over by a cop. Wish that would always happen.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

I think there's probably a view amongst many drivers that the speed limit is set to cover the lowest common denominator of driving skills and reactions, and that because they perceive themselves as at least an above-average driver it needn't apply to them. And yeah I worry when folks assume they're a great driver. It's not really the place for pride. I think that I'm probably a bit rubbish - it's safer that way.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I live and drive in China. My god. I don't even want to talk about it.

The people here are selfish and oblivious to everything and everyone around them. This follows and is increased when they enter traffic.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Canadians are awful drivers. Every single one of them. Sorry, Canadians, but you are.

Also, it's one thing to go 5mph over the speed limit. It's another thing entirely to tailgate people and flash your lights because they are "only" going 5mph over the speed limit.
    Are you sure you weren't in Quebec? Quebec drivers are horrid, especially Montreal drivers. So many times I am glad I do not cross as the light changes (Amber light? OH I WILL SPEED UP EVEN THOUGH IT WILL OBVIOUSLY BE RED LONG BEFORE I GET THERE AND THEN DRIVE THROUGH THE RED LIGHT!)

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    I think there's probably a view amongst many drivers that the speed limit is set to cover the lowest common denominator of driving skills and reactions, and that because they perceive themselves as at least an above-average driver it needn't apply to them. And yeah I worry when folks assume they're a great driver. It's not really the place for pride. I think that I'm probably a bit rubbish - it's safer that way.
    Exactly. If most people were above average, then the average would have been higher than it is. Most people aren't though, they're just average, even if they don't want to admit it.

Blog Entries

I think the true realisation comes when you think about how bad the average driver is, and take into account that 49% of drivers are even worse..

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just remembered one of the things that annoys me the most: when people don't wait for their smurfing turn at four-way stops. In the past two weeks I've had three people get in my way because they don't understand turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Yeah, nah, I don't buy it. If there's a speed limit, it's there for a reason. Those guys who lay the roads down are way smarter than I am.

Besides it's not like going ten over the speed limit is going to save you any more than like 15 seconds in the long run on most trips. I go full schadenfreude when some speeder passes me and then gets stopped at a red light. CONGRATS ON THINKING YOU'RE SAVING TIME WHEN YOU'RE ACTUALLY NOT, BRO
    I drive fast all the time and I regularly cut off at least 30% of my allotted time for getting to job sites.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I just remembered one of the things that annoys me the most: when people don't wait for their smurfing turn at four-way stops. In the past two weeks I've had three people get in my way because they don't understand turns.
    I KNOW, RIGHT?

It's super simple guys, I swear. Whoever gets there first, or whoever is on the right hand side if you make it there at the same time.

I also get annoyed when turning. Okay, I understand you've been waiting to turn for a long time, but I'm on the right hand side. I have the right of way, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's terrible. Yesterday I almost got into an accident with my little sister in the car because of it.

I KNOW, RIGHT?

It's super simple guys, I swear. Whoever gets there first, or whoever is on the right hand side if you make it there at the same time.
    And if people pull up to all 4 at the exact same time?